Windows 10: Can’t open anything in Windows 10 not even start menu

Discus and support Can’t open anything in Windows 10 not even start menu in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; All of a sudden today I am unable to open anything on my windows 10 desktop. I am unable to even open the start menu. When I hit any key or attempt any... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by MaryBoldt, Mar 11, 2020.

1. MaryBoldt Win User

Can’t open anything in Windows 10 not even start menu

All of a sudden today I am unable to open anything on my windows 10 desktop. I am unable to even open the start menu. When I hit any key or attempt any function I get a spinning circle on my screen; these search bar at that time disappears.

I attempted to restore my computer to a checkpoint, but I do not know the password to the account apparently. I also attempted to follow instructions I found on the site from a previous post so that I could run virus scan, but when I’m prompted for my four digit passcode to unlock my computer it tells me that it is an invalid password. This is while I am in safe mode on the computer.

not sure how to get passed this.

:)

MaryBoldt, Mar 11, 2020
  2. scevism Win User
    scevism, Mar 11, 2020
  3. Windows 10 Start Menu won't open.

Hi Dougie,

Corrupted system files could be one of the reason why Start Menu is not opening.

As an initial troubleshooting, we suggest following the steps listed in this article:
    Troubleshoot problems with the Start menu or Cortana
    see if it helps resolve the issue.

Update us with the outcome so we can provide further assistance.

Ronalene Mat, Mar 11, 2020
  4. Jetster Win User

Jetster, Mar 11, 2020
Thema:

1. Can’t open anything in Windows 10 not even start menu - Similar Threads - Can’t open anything

2. Can’t open anything.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can’t open anything.: When I start my computer and get to the desktop menu, I can’t open any apps, I can’t open the search bar in Windows and I can’t do any commands. When I try to do anything my computer completely freezes / lags. Could this be because of broken hardware or some kind of virus?...
  3. Can’t open anything.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can’t open anything.: When I start my computer and get to the desktop menu, I can’t open any apps, I can’t open the search bar in Windows and I can’t do any commands. When I try to do anything my computer completely freezes / lags. Could this be because of broken hardware or some kind of virus?...
  4. Can’t open anything.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Windows 10 can’t open ANYTHING.

Windows 10 can’t open ANYTHING.: So just now i was playing rocket league on my pc that i built a while back. I got off the game and tried to open valorant and it gave me a bad image error. Now i get an error code 0xc000012f saying bad image for one drive. I want to run an sfc scan but my computer isnt...
  6. I cant open anything from the start menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    I cant open anything from the start menu: I dont know what exactly I did but I cant open anything from the start menu. Control Panel gives me a weird error saying no mapping between account names and security ids was done. half of the "fixes" i found told me to open settings but i cant open those either. others said...
  7. Can’t start my windows anything works

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can’t start my windows anything works: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/TemporaryHistorian29 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/lxyjrt/cant_start_my_windows_anything_works/
  8. Now it's totally useless (the start menu) , i cant open anything from the start menu, even...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Now it's totally useless (the start menu) , i cant open anything from the start menu, even...: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Longshoez [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/htnbcq/now_its_totally_useless_the_start_menu_i_cant/
  9. Can’t open browser, cortana or start menu

Can’t open browser, cortana or start menu: I factory reset my MSI GL62M 7RDX laptop to sell it but I can’t open Internet Explorer, Cortana or the start menu. When I click Cortana or the start menu, the blue circle appears next to my cursor for about 2 or 3 seconds but nothing happens. When I try to open the browser,...
  10. windows 10 start menu will not open

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    windows 10 start menu will not open: I receive critical message ( start menu will not open will fix it next time you sign in) but it does not ,I have lost all internet connection. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-start-menu-will-not-open/82692eeb-28e1-4e26-8c82-177020a82e03