Windows 10: Can't open Bitlocker encrypted files since upgrade to 1809

Discus and support Can't open Bitlocker encrypted files since upgrade to 1809 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Self built PC., O/S Windows 10 Pro Version 1809 (Build 17763.475) Processor Intel i7 8700K Memory 32GB DDR4 2400 Dual Motherboard Gygabytes AORUS Z370... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by geoffemm, May 11, 2019.

1. geoffemm Win User

Can't open Bitlocker encrypted files since upgrade to 1809

Self built PC.,
    O/S Windows 10 Pro Version 1809 (Build 17763.475)
    Processor Intel i7 8700K
    Memory 32GB DDR4 2400 Dual
    Motherboard Gygabytes AORUS Z370 Gaming K3 Revision # Rev 1.0
    Graphics card ASUS GeForce GTX 1070 Turbo 8GB From aria pc 02/06/2018

Since upgrading from Windows 10 Version 1803 (Build 17134.345)
    to version 1809 (Build 17763.475) I can no longer access Microsoft Office 2003 Word files encrypted through Bitlocker. Either Bitlocker, or the system, doesn’t recognise either password or Recovery key; I’m being told they’re wrong, despite me knowing both are correct. I upgraded several months ago, but only recently discovered the problem. As I say, it pertains to files, and, so far, I’ve only found answers to Bitlocker problems on drives? I also downloaded a program that claimed it could solve this very problem, but the first thing it asked for was the password or recovery key, which, when entered, the program said was incorrect? Anyhow, if anyone can shed some light on this for me, I will be very grateful.

Geoff Emm

:)

geoffemm, May 11, 2019

2. BitLocker Encrypted Hard Drive to MAC

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. I regret the inconvenience caused to you. Let me help you.

I suggest you to perform below mentioned steps to disable BitLocker.

To disable BitLocker I would suggest you try the following steps and see if it helps.

• Press Windows key + X and click on
      Control Panel.

• Change View by from Category
      to Large Icons/Small Icons.

• Click on BitLocker Drive Encryption and click on
      Turn BitLocker Off.

• Follow on screen instructions. Click on Decrypt the Drive
      when the message appears.
    I would suggest you click on the link below and refer the following article.

Scenario 12: Turning Off BitLocker Drive Encryption (Windows 7)

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee424315(v=ws.10).aspx

(You can refer the steps in the above link as they are applicable for Windows 10 as well)

Check if it helps.

I hope the information helps. Please keep us posted on the issue. We will be happy to assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Aswin_Anand, May 11, 2019
  3. Device Encryption not avaiable

Hello Fraczek,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

We understand your concern in this regard.

• Are you referring to BitLocker Drive Encryption?
    • What preventing you from doing this?
    • Did you get any error message or code while doing this?

Before you come up with the above information, suggest you to refer the article

Help protect your files using BitLocker Drive Encryption
    and see if it help you.

Do refer the article
    Windows BitLocker Drive Encryption Step-by-Step Guide
    and check if it help you with the required information.

Keep us posted if you require further assistance.

Yashwanth Kotakuri, May 11, 2019
  4. Can't open Bitlocker encrypted files since upgrade to 1809

File back up to bitlockered external drive

Thanks John.

By trial and error the solution is,

• Set the file back up to the desired external USB drive, Back up using file history.
    • Run backup to completion.
    • Dismount, (Remove) the drive used.
    • Remount (Plug in) the drive used for the file back up (Steps 1&2) and encrypt using Bitlocker.
    Note you can only encrypt drives using some versions of Windows (Pro for eg not Home)

• Once the external drive has been encrypted dismount.
    • Remount the drive, go to the file back up option, Open, Settings, Backup,
      Back up using file history
    • The drive should now still be visible and has been encrypted.
    • Accessing the drive will be dependant on how it was set up in Bitlocker,
      Open with this PC, password, pin code
      etc.
    • Repeat file back up as in the first two steps.

Hope this helps someone else.

Martin Holme, May 11, 2019
Thema:

Can't open Bitlocker encrypted files since upgrade to 1809

1. Can't open Bitlocker encrypted files since upgrade to 1809 - Similar Threads - Can't open Bitlocker

2. Opening BitLocker-encrypted word/pdf files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Opening BitLocker-encrypted word/pdf files: I have tried to open my pdf/word files, which were all encrypted by BitLocker. I unlocked my file drives using my passwords. Yet all my pdf/word/PowerPoint files remain encrypted and can't open. It replies access is denied. Based on the recommendations I received from...
  3. Opening BitLocker-encrypted word/pdf files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Opening BitLocker-encrypted word/pdf files: I have tried to open my pdf/word files, which were all encrypted by BitLocker. I unlocked my file drives using my passwords. Yet all my pdf/word/PowerPoint files remain encrypted and can't open. It replies access is denied. Based on the recommendations I received from...
  4. Can't enable bitlocker encryption.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't enable bitlocker encryption.: Hello. I have a problem. I can't enable bitlocker encryption. I have windows 11 21h2 home single language, I also recently performed a local reinstall of windows....
  5. Can't enable bitlocker encryption.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't enable bitlocker encryption.: Hello. I have a problem. I can't enable bitlocker encryption. I have windows 11 21h2 home single language, I also recently performed a local reinstall of windows....
  6. Can't open files since update

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't open files since update: Since the last update last week i am unable to open word documents, or power-points. It lets me open some word documents saved on my computer already but not new ones i need to download, and will not let me open any saved powerpoints already on my computer or new that i need...
  7. Can't open encrypted Zip Files

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Can't open encrypted Zip Files: I get encrypted ZIP files from trusted emails. They download to a Zip Folder, I click on the Folder and it takes me to the File. When I click on the file, to extract it, or use the Extract Icon, I get a error dialogue saying the files can't be created. If I use 7-Zip, I...
  8. Can't open Bitlocker encrypted files since upgrade to 1809

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Can't open Bitlocker encrypted files since upgrade to 1809: Self built PC., O/S Windows 10 Pro Version 1809 (Build 17763.475) Processor Intel i7 8700K Memory 32GB DDR4 2400 Dual Motherboard Gygabytes AORUS Z370 Gaming K3 Revision # Rev 1.0 Graphics card ASUS GeForce GTX 1070 Turbo 8GB From aria pc 02/06/2018 Since upgrading from...
  9. Lost 'View' of files since 1809 upgrade

in Windows 10 Support
    Lost 'View' of files since 1809 upgrade: Since last update (1809) I have lost any "view" of drives and files except 'General' in File Explorer. If I try to change the view to Music or Documents, Pictures or Videos, it just goes back to General. Is there a setting anywhere that will correct this? Thanks for any...
  10. Upgrade from v1803 to 1809 with BitLocker?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrade from v1803 to 1809 with BitLocker?: At the moment, I am planning to hold off on v1809 since there are some issues with this version. Anyways, once the time comes that I decide and go ahead with this feature upgrade (or any feature upgrade), will BitLocker ask for the Recovery Key during the upgrade process? Do...