Windows 10: Can't open certain files and programs in one of my user accounts

Discus and support Can't open certain files and programs in one of my user accounts in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; When I try to open certain files (i.e. pictures, word documents, Steam, pdf's...) I get a pop-up window that says "Windows cannot find 'Insert... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by marcos.montanez, May 28, 2019.

1. Can't open certain files and programs in one of my user accounts

When I try to open certain files (i.e. pictures, word documents, Steam, pdf's...) I get a pop-up window that says "Windows cannot find 'Insert Directory here'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again."

I can open pictures and documents by opening the programs that can read them, but when it comes to other programs like Steam, there's no way for me to open them.

And this only happens on one of my user accounts. (I have three). In the other accounts everything opens normally.

:)

marcos.montanez, May 28, 2019
  2. Vesao Win User

Remove account

I suggest you backup your personalized files first before removing the account.
    To delete an account, follow these steps:
    1. Press WIN + X keys and click Command Prompt (Admin) from the menu.
    2. Type the following command and press Enter. Replace test with the name of your sister's account. Code:
      Code:
      net user test /del

Vesao, May 28, 2019
  3. angus Win User
    Settings can't be opened using the built-in administrator account

Hello,
    Unfortunately I have the same issue as Dabz from upgrading win7 to win10.
    I've tried opening settings using all the suggested methods and it will not load using my account with Administrator access nor the built-in Administrator profile. I also tried other methods not listed such as using Run. Control panel is just a stepping stone to add users in Settings.
    I'm also having explorer.exe issues, which I believe is preventing Settings from loading.
    Using cmd (Admin) I successfully created a new user profile [and granted admin access also using cmd (Admin)], however win10 will not allow this account to log on. win10 does not list this new user within control panel but it does in the start menu. win10 will not allow to log in or switch to the new account via the start menu either.
    I can access settings in Safe Mode but this will not allow me to create a new account.
    Any help/suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
    Cheers

angus, May 28, 2019
  4. Anne Ros Win User

Can't open certain files and programs in one of my user accounts

user accounts

Thank you for your response. If you've created a new profile and you have admin privileges, try these steps on how to transfer files from one user to another and see if it will work for you:

• Open File Explorer and go to C:\Users.
    • Look for the account you want to copy the files from.
    • Select the folders/files you want to copy, right-click on it and select Copy.
    • Go to the new user account folder and paste the folders/files you copied.
    • Repeat the steps if needed.

Give us an update on how it goes.

Anne Ros, May 28, 2019
Thema:

Can't open certain files and programs in one of my user accounts

1. Can't open certain files and programs in one of my user accounts - Similar Threads - Can't open certain

2. Certain programs won't open on my computer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Certain programs won't open on my computer: After installing Ryzen 9 5900X I've had some issue's, one being that I kept getting a BSOD, fixed that by disabling CPB. Now I'm noticing game's and app's such as Run-8 Train Simulator and, GMOD, Wallpaper Engine will not start. I ran SFC /SCANNOW and it fixed it but after...
  3. Certain programs started not opening

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Certain programs started not opening: As of a month or two, I would boot up a program only to execute It showed as open in the task manager, but there was no window. It would also allow me to boot up the same programs multiple times but without any window showing up still. Some of the programs that won't open...
  4. Certain programs started not opening

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Certain programs started not opening: As of a month or two, I would boot up a program only to execute It showed as open in the task manager, but there was no window. It would also allow me to boot up the same programs multiple times but without any window showing up still. Some of the programs that won't open...
  5. Certain programs started not opening

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Certain windows programs not opening

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Certain windows programs not opening: No apps opening that ive downloaded online, and certain windows programs are not opening, i think it might be an issue with Java but ive tried to repair it and its still not fixed. Discord and my browsers work....
  7. Certain programs won't open on my computer.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Certain programs won't open on my computer.: Hi, I've recently been having a problem with my computer where certain programs won't open at times. So far I've had problems with Blender, After Effects and GIMP, if I restart my computer, these programs will work just fine, but other times, they just won't open. The loading...
  8. Can't open certain files/apps

Can't open certain files/apps: Hi, I tried running a app today but it didn't seem to open. I tried looking in task manager to see why, and I saw that it did open, but then immediately suspend. I also looked in Event Viewer and saw this: https://pastebin.com/Zab5Nbk4 shorten due to it being very long...
  9. Can't open certain files.

Can't open certain files.: After a recent Windows update I am unable to open some of my files on disk or backup hard drive. Instead, I get the message; The media is write protected. I am able to open, modify and save the same files on either media using my old XP laptop but not on my laptop running...
  10. Windows not opening certain programs

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows not opening certain programs: My computer is having an issue where there are certain programs that when I try to launch them, the hourglass icon appears next to the cursor for a second, then goes away and acts like nothing happened. It is only happening on certain programs, such as the office programs...