Windows 10: Cant open CR2 RAW photo files in Windows 10 since recent update.

Discus and support Cant open CR2 RAW photo files in Windows 10 since recent update. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Since the recent Windows 10 update I can no longer open CR2 RAW photo files. I have Fast Picture Viewer Codex Pack installed on my PC which has done... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by MikePeak_39, Sep 17, 2019.

1. Cant open CR2 RAW photo files in Windows 10 since recent update.

Since the recent Windows 10 update I can no longer open CR2 RAW photo files. I have Fast Picture Viewer Codex Pack installed on my PC which has done the job in the past.

:)

MikePeak_39, Sep 17, 2019

2. .CR2 raw files not opening

Hi,

We may open .cr2 files using the Photo file. We need additional information to help resolve your concern. Are you getting any error message when opening a .cr2 file format? If yes, we recommend setting a default program to open the file. Follow the steps below:

• Open Settings.
    • Click Apps.
    • Click Default apps.
    • Click Choose default apps by file type.
    • Locate .cr2, then select Photos as the default app.

Cant open CR2 RAW photo files in Windows 10 since recent update. 422ce918-8282-47eb-9d60-3d2b2c75bdad?upload=true.png

Keep us in the loop with the result.

Martin Bar, Sep 17, 2019
  3. Trouble with Canon CR2 RAW files

Thanks for the replies. I just had a quick chat with Canon. They're stumped too. Makes no sense why Windows 10 can handle all the existing CR2 files from this camera with no problem at all, but can't display any new ones that I try to download to my computer. I shot a test pic in JPG a few minutes ago, and that one is fine in Windows. Somewhere along the line Windows is eating the CR2, because the other photo editing software (including Canon's DPP) can't work with the new ones either.
    Here's the display in File Explorer - existing CR2 files and new ones:

Cant open CR2 RAW photo files in Windows 10 since recent update. [​IMG]

The Windows photo editor says it can't open the file.
    Maybe I have to shoot JPG with this camera from now on, which is a pain because RAW allows you to salvage pics that might otherwise be unusable.
    Thanks.

Anachronista, Sep 17, 2019
  4. Cant open CR2 RAW photo files in Windows 10 since recent update.

Canon 7D MKII not opening .CR2 RAW files in windows 10

Hi -

I recently upgraded to a Canon 7D MkII and unable to open the .CR2 RAW files in any Microsoft product. I have attempted to down load the codex but this will not work with Win 10 or Win 8. I have read a number of additional queries in this forum on this query
    - is there any progress with a updated Microsoft codex?

There is no subtopic under photography & listed under other settings?

doinmaheadin, Sep 17, 2019
Thema:

Cant open CR2 RAW photo files in Windows 10 since recent update.

1. Cant open CR2 RAW photo files in Windows 10 since recent update. - Similar Threads - Cant open CR2

2. CR2 RAW Images Distortion in Windows photo viewer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    CR2 RAW Images Distortion in Windows photo viewer: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-photo-viewer-is-distorting-my-raw-cr2/3b43ad0c-da4c-4919-a2c5-f68732123298?page=2The distortion sometimes feels like improves the look of the picture like in this above case, but the rest of the timesalmost all the...
  3. CR2 RAW Images Distortion in Windows photo viewer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    CR2 RAW Images Distortion in Windows photo viewer: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-photo-viewer-is-distorting-my-raw-cr2/3b43ad0c-da4c-4919-a2c5-f68732123298?page=2The distortion sometimes feels like improves the look of the picture like in this above case, but the rest of the timesalmost all the...
  4. windows photos app - auto rotation cr2 raw photos

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows photos app - auto rotation cr2 raw photos: Why hasn't MS fixed this issue? If I shoot a photo vertically top to bottom, and view it in MS Photos, Win 11, it will AUTO ROTATE sideways. This has nothing to do with screen display or monitor angles. I've updated everything.I've installed RAW Image Ext and nothing works....
  5. windows photos app - auto rotation cr2 raw photos

windows photos app - auto rotation cr2 raw photos: Why hasn't MS fixed this issue? If I shoot a photo vertically top to bottom, and view it in MS Photos, Win 11, it will AUTO ROTATE sideways. This has nothing to do with screen display or monitor angles. I've updated everything.I've installed RAW Image Ext and nothing works....
  6. I had been editing a set of RAW photos. Now the RAW files turned into CR2 and they won't...

I had been editing a set of RAW photos. Now the RAW files turned into CR2 and they won't...: I had been editing a set of RAW photos in PS for a couple weeks. Now the RAW files turned into CR2 and they won't let me open them. It says "could not complete your request because it is not the right type of document". I can't see the photo in the thumbnail anymore on...
  7. Windows Photo Viewer is distorting my raw CR2 photo files

Windows Photo Viewer is distorting my raw CR2 photo files: Hello, I've seen lots of posts about Windows not being able to view raw or CR2 files, however that is not the problem I'm having. My problem is when I open the raw files, the standard Windows 10 photo viewer is distorting the image. When I first open it, it will look normal...
  8. Official .CR2 (raw) file viewer?

Official .CR2 (raw) file viewer?: Good day, is there an official microsoft made RAW image file viewer? I'm looking into Mircosoft Photos but I think it does not support RAW files. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/official-cr2-raw-file-viewer/a114a40b-ddda-4248-bbe3-2d1369a705e7
  9. Isses with cr2 files (RAW)

in Windows 10 Customization
    Isses with cr2 files (RAW): Hello everyone. I sent the below to Canon: Hi there, I have a user who has a Canon EOS 200D and some issues with cr2 files. First of all if the view in Windows Explorer is set to 'large images' it won't show the image at all but a thumbnail. And they replied with below:...
  10. Trouble with Canon CR2 RAW files

Trouble with Canon CR2 RAW files: Hi: I upgraded from 8.1 to 10 about 6 weeks ago. Hopefully this is the right forum for the problem. Latest issue is that when I connect my (older) Canon camera via USB to the computer, Windows 10 can see the drive/CR2 files on it OK, but cannot display them (just lists them...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows cant open cr2 picture