Windows 10: can't open Device Manager, strange error message

Discus and support can't open Device Manager, strange error message in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; [ATTACH] my touchscreen periodically stops working, and one of the fixes that's sometimes worked is to go into device manager and restart it.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/booksrule123, Aug 4, 2020.

1. can't open Device Manager, strange error message

/u/booksrule123, Aug 4, 2020
  2. Hanabishi Win User

Strange 2.9.0 error message

When launching 2.9.0 strange error message appears:

can't open Device Manager, strange error message screen1-png.png

But program seems to work.

And also "DirectCompute" status differs from 2.8.0. (2.8.0 launches normally without any messages.)

can't open Device Manager, strange error message screen2-png.png

can't open Device Manager, strange error message screen3-png.png

Hanabishi, Aug 4, 2020
  3. Novgorod Win User
    Can't remove disconnected (ghost) network device

Thanks for the suggestion, but it can't remove the NIC:

can't open Device Manager, strange error message [​IMG]

It's the only Intel I219-V that shows up in the device list of the DeviceCleaner program (it shows only non-present devices as I understand). Otherwise, the tool works - I found a ghost replica of the integrated GPU (Intel HD 530) and could remove it. Only the NIC gives this error message on removal, which is probably the reason I can't remove it the normal way through the device manager.

Novgorod, Aug 4, 2020
  4. can't open Device Manager, strange error message

can't find imaging device on device manager

Hi,

Welcome to Microsoft Community. Your interest in Windows 10 is much appreciated.

Method 1:

If your computer is having problems with a recently installed device or other hardware, try using the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter to fix the problem. It checks for common issues and makes sure that any new device or hardware
    attached to your computer was installed correctly.

• Open Control Panel.

• In the search box, type troubleshooter, and then click
            Troubleshooting.

• Click on Hardware and Devices
            and run the troubleshooter.

Method 2:

Open device manager and check the status of the device:

Mostly imaging devices are under hidden devices check if you can see imaging devices in device manager under hidden devices.

​Now in the device manager window try these steps:

a. Click on View and click on
    Show hidden devices.

b. Now, locate imaging device right click the device and click on Properties.

Let us know if any error message received in device manager.

Method 3:

Try downloading and installing the webcam driver from manufacturer's website in compatibility mode and check if it works:

Follow the steps to install in Compatibility mode.

• Download the updated driver from the manufacturer’s website.

• Right click the driver installation file and select
      Properties then tap or click the Compatibility tab.

• Place a check in the
      Run this program in compatibility mode
      for: box.

• Tap or click the drop down box and select a previous operating system, then tap or click
      OK.

• Try installing the driver and check.

Keep us posted if you face any issues on windows in future. We will be glad to help you.

Annu Singh, Aug 4, 2020
Thema:

can't open Device Manager, strange error message

1. can't open Device Manager, strange error message - Similar Threads - can't open Device

2. Black Screen, task manager not opening, error messages!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Black Screen, task manager not opening, error messages!: Hello, my boyfriends computer has a black screen when we log inti his windows. The mouse is still there and when this happened before I was able to open the task manager the issue eventual resolved itself but now I am even unable to open task manager. When booted into safe...
  3. Black Screen, task manager not opening, error messages!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Black Screen, task manager not opening, error messages!: Hello, my boyfriends computer has a black screen when we log inti his windows. The mouse is still there and when this happened before I was able to open the task manager the issue eventual resolved itself but now I am even unable to open task manager. When booted into safe...
  4. iCloud for Windows - strange error message

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    iCloud for Windows - strange error message: I today installed Office 2021 with Outlook 2021. After, I installed iCloud for windows from Microsoft Store. After installing, I logged on with iCloud and after selecting what to synchronize, I get this strage error message: don't worry the screenshot shows german language -...
  5. Strange update error message

Strange update error message: I was receiving updates with no problems up until about an hour ago 10:45 Central Daylight Time I took a screen shot and it's below. I don't know what updates are missing. Any help is appreciated!...
  6. Strange update error message

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Strange update error message: I was receiving updates with no problems up until about an hour ago 10:45 Central Daylight Time I took a screen shot and it's below. I don't know what updates are missing. Any help is appreciated!...
  7. Strange update error message

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Strange message

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Strange message: Hi, When I open windows 10 version 2004. It take too long time to open. Before update It was fast only 3 minutes or less. Now, It takes 10 minutes or more! Also I see discoverd message then that strange message [ATTACH] I tried sfc scan but same problem Not every...
  9. Strange message

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Strange message: Every few weeks this message pops up on my screen. It locks up my system and I'm not able to do anything else, except click one of it's buttons. It looks suspicions so I just power down my computer which is running Windows 10. When I start the computer up again everything is...
  10. strange backup error message

strange backup error message: Hi I am using the Backup and Restore (Windows 7) utility for my backups and it keeps skipping two files: C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\Documents C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\Pictures These files do not exist. So why is it looking for them? Should...