Windows 10: Can't open documents after swapping disk without being Administrator

Discus and support Can't open documents after swapping disk without being Administrator in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi Window 10 I recently swapped a backup SSD hard drive (2) temporarily for another disk (3), then when finished, swapped the disk back in my PC... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by SiemensWork, Oct 3, 2019.

1. Can't open documents after swapping disk without being Administrator

Hi

Window 10

I recently swapped a backup SSD hard drive (2) temporarily for another disk (3), then when finished, swapped the disk back in my PC (with power off).

After re-booting, the disk gave the directory listing of disk (3), but of course, couldn't open anything.

I ran disk check tool under properties and this fixed this, I could now see my disk again.

However, nothing would open, unless I ran Word, Excel etc, as administrator.

After googling and a Microsoft help page suggested I change go to properties, security and in there I saw that the user did not have "full control".

Note, the user account is an administrator account.

I tried changing properties of the directories but this has only partially worked.

I cannot open thousands of documents (10 years of company work), without running as administrator).

Also, the documents won't upload to Onedrive.

(Ironically, the intention of disk 3 was to create a backup.)

Why has windows removed access to these documents?

No other User has ever had access to the drive.

How can I change the properties for the drive or add my give Username access, without having to run as admin everytime.

:)

SiemensWork, Oct 3, 2019
  2. angus Win User

Settings can't be opened using the built-in administrator account

Hello,
    Unfortunately I have the same issue as Dabz from upgrading win7 to win10.
    I've tried opening settings using all the suggested methods and it will not load using my account with Administrator access nor the built-in Administrator profile. I also tried other methods not listed such as using Run. Control panel is just a stepping stone to add users in Settings.
    I'm also having explorer.exe issues, which I believe is preventing Settings from loading.
    Using cmd (Admin) I successfully created a new user profile [and granted admin access also using cmd (Admin)], however win10 will not allow this account to log on. win10 does not list this new user within control panel but it does in the start menu. win10 will not allow to log in or switch to the new account via the start menu either.
    I can access settings in Safe Mode but this will not allow me to create a new account.
    Any help/suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
    Cheers

angus, Oct 3, 2019
  3. Kem Mon Win User
    Unable to open Settings

Hi,

Upon analyzing the issue, we need to check first if the
    partition is still available. To do so, follow these steps:

• Open
      Command Prompt
      as
      Administrator.

• Type
      these following
      commands:

• Diskpart

• List disk

• Sel disk 0

• List partition

Check if the
    partition
    is still
    available. If it is, type
    exit
    to
    leave Diskpart
    and
    run
    these following
    commands:

Disk Checker:

To run
    Disk Checker, type
    chkdsk /f /r and hit
    Enter.

SFC Scan:  

To run an
    SFC scan, follow these steps:  

• Run
      Command Prompt as Administrator.  

• Type
      sfc /scannow
      and hit
      Enter.

DISM Tool:  

To run
    DISM Tool, follow these steps:

• Run
      Command Prompt as Administrator.  

• Type the following command:  

• DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /scanhealth  

• DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth  

NOTE:
    This might take a while to finish scanning.
    Do not cancel.

If the issue persists, we suggest that you contact your manufacturer
    for further assistance in resetting your BIOS.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards.

Kem Mon, Oct 3, 2019
  4. Peer_Sam Win User

Can't open documents after swapping disk without being Administrator

Can't open documents

Hi Marilyn,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

In order to narrow down the issue and provide appropriate troubleshooting steps, please reply with answers to the questions below.

1. Is it any specific document, a document type or all documents, you are unable to open?
    2. What happens when you try to open the documents?
    3. Do you get any error message while trying to open the documents?

We look forward for your reply.

Peer Samie

Microsoft Community-Moderator

Peer_Sam, Oct 3, 2019
Thema:

Can't open documents after swapping disk without being Administrator

1. Can't open documents after swapping disk without being Administrator - Similar Threads - Can't open documents

2. can't open disks

in Windows 10 Customization
    can't open disks: I can't open disks , https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-open-disks/fa9d01dd-f1ab-45c7-b86b-9ec46553ba97
  3. can't open disks

in Windows 10 Gaming
    can't open disks: I can't open disks , https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-open-disks/fa9d01dd-f1ab-45c7-b86b-9ec46553ba97
  4. can't open disks

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Documents folder opening without being requested

Documents folder opening without being requested: I just did the most recent Windows 10 update and now my documents folder keeps opening up about every minute. AFter 30 minutes, I will have 30 tabs of the documents folder open, which I have to close individually. Is anyone having this problem and can offer a fix to...
  6. Add account then swap Administrator

Add account then swap Administrator: Hi all, First post here. I bought a new computer and during setup I couldn't remember the password to the account I had used in the past. I created a new account using my phone number and received a code via text. All went well during setup but now I realize the error of my...
  7. Can't open documents

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Can't open documents: In Word, trying to open documents w/i particular file. I get a pop-up: "Word experienced error trying to open the file. Try: -Check the file permissions for the document; -Make sure there is sufficient free memory and disk space; -Open the file with the Text Recovery...
  8. Preview headers without opening document

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Preview headers without opening document: Is it possible to preview headers of word (office 365) files in a preview pane of file explorer or something similar without having to open the document. Currently I can only view the content within the body of the document and not within the header or footer in the preview...
  9. secure document can't be opened

secure document can't be opened: How do I grant permission for envelope tools to run? TY B. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/secure-document-cant-be-opened/17b5842d-bc2f-4d4f-a528-5d9e3f3d4adb
  10. Can't open documents

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't open documents: I have windows10 installed but some virus infected my firefox browser and i had no option but to refresh my pc which i didn't know would install windows again ,previously when i upgraded to windows 10 from windows7 .. i could see windows.old folder in which i had all my 7's...