Windows 10: Can't open, edit and save xml files

Discus and support Can't open, edit and save xml files in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello I have som xml files i want to edit, but for some reason my pc dont let choose what program i want to open the xml files with. It only show... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by simonrønnow, Jun 7, 2020.

1. Can't open, edit and save xml files

Hello

I have som xml files i want to edit, but for some reason my pc dont let choose what program i want to open the xml files with. It only show "open" and not "open with" notepad. Then i forced it to open it with notepad by making it default for xml files. Then i was able to open the file and edit what i want, but when i wanted to "save" it acted as if i clicked "save as". It was like i didn't know where this file were coming from and what to do with it. When i try to find to correct place to save the file, i wont let me.

I'm really annoyed by this problem because it used to be so easy to edit and save xml file. Hope you can help me

-Simon Rønnow

:)

simonrønnow, Jun 7, 2020

2. Problem when opening a XML file

Hi Roberto - From another source I received a suggestion to open the offending file in Wordpad and to save it as an Office Open XML document which would have an extension of '.xml.doc' then remove the '.doc' part

That idea unfortunately hasn't worked for me. Having saved the file as suggested I then tried to open it. In Internet Explorer and MS Edge I get a completely blank page. In Notepad, Wordpad or Office XML Handler (which uses Notepad) I just get unintelligible
    "mumbo jumbo". In XML Notepad it states "Data at the root level is invalid Line 1 Position 1 and asks if I wish to open it using Notepad. Answering yes just results in "mumbo jumbo" as before.

The file only opens correctly in Word 2016, (i.e. showing all the elements etc.) but if I try to open any of the other XML files using Word, I get a message that "The file contains custom XML elements that are no longer supported in Word. Saving the fie will
    remove these elements permanently", and only the data for each element is shown for these files and there is no sign of the various elements themselves.

Don't know if any of the above gives some indication of what is wrong, but it's all very frustrating . Can't help feeling that it is something very simple! I would stress that the other four xml files used by the program all open properly in a Edge window

Peternosmas, Jun 7, 2020
  3. Edited photos saving as XML Documents

Thanks for your quick reply. All the photos which have not been edited are in the original JPG file format, but any that I have edited using Photos have saved as XML Documents with a padlock on the icon. When I then try to copy all of the photos (edited
    and unedited) on to a USB, only the unedited JPGs show up. Any further thoughts? Thanks.

GillMorton, Jun 7, 2020
  4. Can't open, edit and save xml files

Edited photos saving as XML Documents

HI PCR,

I really appreciate your effort trying to reolve this issue for me.

Yes, Hide extensions for known file types is unchecked at its View tab.

I wanted to send you a screenshot as that might make it easier for you to see, but I keep getting the 'this format is unsupported' error message when I try to attach it to this message.

Basically, if I look at either the camera memory stick or the USB drive on my pc, there is a mixture of photos, some which have been unedited and which appear as JPG files and can be opened no problem and the rest which have been edited in Photos, and have
    saved as IMG_****.JPG.XML with the file type showing as XML document as opposed to JPG File for the others. These photos can no longer be opened although the file size would indicate the contents are still there (somewhere!).

I thought I could just convert the XML file format back to JPG, but it seems easier said than done!

Thanks for your persistence.

GillMorton, Jun 7, 2020
Thema:

Can't open, edit and save xml files

1. Can't open, edit and save xml files - Similar Threads - Can't open edit

2. Windows 11 - "No such interface supported" error when opening an xml file to edit - should...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 - "No such interface supported" error when opening an xml file to edit - should...: I have just installed the latest Windows 11 patch and now my xml files show with a PDF image next to them. The application setting is set to automatically open with Code Writer so the image should be the Code Writer image not PDF. When I try to open it I get the error message...
  3. Windows 11 - "No such interface supported" error when opening an xml file to edit - should...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 - "No such interface supported" error when opening an xml file to edit - should...: I have just installed the latest Windows 11 patch and now my xml files show with a PDF image next to them. The application setting is set to automatically open with Code Writer so the image should be the Code Writer image not PDF. When I try to open it I get the error message...
  4. XML Files

XML Files: Hi folks! Just registered to this forum and glad to have found it. So I was installing Ubuntu on my computer which already had windows 10.I wanted to have a dual OS. Things went south and windows got deleted/ over written or whatever. I used a hard drive recovery device to...
  5. Saving XML file for efiling of Income tax file

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Saving XML file for efiling of Income tax file: For efiling of income tax return ITR3 I have prepared an XML file. Trying to save it I get a 'runtime error 5' message. How to solve this problem?...
  6. Error 25541. Failed to open XML file...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Error 25541. Failed to open XML file...: Get this "Error 25541. Failed to open XML file C:\windows\Microsoft.NET\framework\v2.0.50727\CONFIG\machine.config. system error: - 2147024786" while trying to install Hallmark card studio deluxe. Brand new Windows 10 fully up to date. Can't seem to find an answer how to...
  7. Edit File History config1.xml and config2.xml Files Directly

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Edit File History config1.xml and config2.xml Files Directly: I'd like to make some changes to the File History config1.xml and config2.xml files to "clean" things up a little ... like sort included folders alphabetically, etc. However, if I edit these four files directory (there are two of each) they revert back to their default values...
  8. Editing an XML File in Program Files

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Editing an XML File in Program Files: I am trying to edit an xml file under C:/Program Files/Microsoft Mouse and Keyboard Center, but it's saying that I don't have admin privileges. The XML file I am trying to edit is the commands file so I can change the zoom key on my microsoft ergonomic keyboard 4000 to...
  9. Macrium reflect .xml file saved location

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Macrium reflect .xml file saved location: Win 10 ver 1903 I noticed when imaging C/: to F/:folder name that the back up definition .xml file was being saved to One drive. I never selected this. Does that mean that I will have to have internet and point the Macrium rescue media to that file on one drive in order to...
  10. Problem when opening xml file

Problem when opening xml file: I have a small program, which uses a number of xml files. The program is not working properly and I suspect that is due to a problem with one of the xml files. When I click on any except one of those files it opens in a MS Edge (the default Windows 10 browser) window and all...