Windows 10: Can’t Open Elevated Command Prompt

Discus and support Can’t Open Elevated Command Prompt in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I sure want the rounded corners (just did not dare ask) *Smile found an old post of yours in this thread : Windows 10 display as Windows 7 - Windows... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by icacream, Feb 13, 2018.

1. icacream Win User

Can’t Open Elevated Command Prompt

icacream, Feb 18, 2018
  2. dalchina New Member

Yes- you can change the background colours as you wish of course...

One person found a registry hack that meant the background colours (not explorer) were not lost on resume, obviating the need to reapply the theme. I meant to note that, but didn't.

dalchina, Feb 18, 2018
  3. icacream Win User
    I re-installed aero glass because that strange window came on again at a restart

I read this on the site :

• How to install this software?
    • Important thing is that you must place all files in writable location (i.e. not in Program Files),, because DWM process does not run under user's credential. If you don't do this, Aero Glass will not be able to download symbols or create debug logs!
    as I have no idea where a writable location might be (mine was and is now right under C)

I used the installer, as recommended :

If you are not so advanced user, you should download installer in any case. It will select the best way for your computer.

but I still get the same window with the message "aero glass does not know how to hook...."

now the plot thickens.... I dunno if it's linked, and I find it sort of cute actually, but all my desktop icons are Xed...

Can’t Open Elevated Command Prompt [​IMG]

icacream, Feb 18, 2018
  4. dalchina New Member

I just use the top installer here
    Aero Glass for Win8+
    and accept the defaults. Note all programs must be closed for the installation to work- may need some manual assistance.

You can obviously try
    - uninstalling aeroglass
    - using a system restore point

dalchina, Feb 19, 2018
  5. icacream Win User
    I found out that the problem is that I did not have a donation key (meant to donate AFTER checking that it worked for me !!)
    without such key, one has to manually download the PDBs...
    I got the key - fine
    but when I right click the thingy, I do not get the option to "merge"
    can't find the registry editor in win10.... *really
    is there one ???*cry

icacream, Feb 19, 2018
  6. dalchina New Member
    Hi the key goes here:

Without the key, it should work (or it did) except there was text permanently on the desktop - and yes, 'symbols' had to be manually downloaded. But nothing happened to distort or change the appearance of icons etc as you mentioned before.

What is it you need to merge into the registry?

Yes, of course the registry editor exists..

dalchina, Feb 19, 2018
  7. icacream Win User
    yes, I did place the key in the correct folder
    but it's not enough - I still get the message that I'm using a free version and about the PDBs...
    look, the icon of the key file is blank in win10 versus in win7, though it's the same file...

icacream, Feb 19, 2018
  8. dalchina New Member

Sorry, no idea. Suggest you post on the related MSFN forum, linked from the Aeroglass site.

You might try uninstalling Aeroglass, restarting, reinstalling (making sure it's the correct version) and applying your key.

Did you get your Machine ID correct for your Win 10 PC? It's particular to a given PC of course (as your screenshots seem to indicate you are using 2 PCs)

Why would you want a key for a Win 7 machine? Or did you just copy the file onto that PC for some reason?

dalchina, Feb 20, 2018
  9. icacream Win User
    Yes, I have the right machine ID - For Aero Glass I did not get any ID from my win7 PC (obvious, even for me !) I only copied the key file (to my D) to see what it looked like... on the win 10 machine it's just a blank rectangle... wonder why

anyway I dé and re-installed AG leaving the key in the folder and re-installing in that same folder... this did the trick :

thanks again for your constant support !!! *Smile

now to the rounded corners !!!
    I ordered a bigger SSD for my PC and will install win10 there too - hope I can still get it free

I lost the cute crosses on my desktop icons (pity)

icacream, Feb 20, 2018
  10. dalchina New Member
    Good- disk changes should make no difference as regards Windows activation if Win 10 has already been activated.

However, if you are upgrading a Win 7 machine, the free upgrade period is officially over, however, you might still be lucky.

There is an unofficial Aeroglass tweak took on the downloads page- some parts work.

dalchina, Feb 20, 2018
  11. icacream Win User
    hmmm... "Testing version...." or "Command line tool... (for very advanced users only !)" *Sick
    thanks but I guess I better stay away from those right now !!!!
    *chuckle

icacream, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Can’t Open Elevated Command Prompt - Similar Threads - Can’t Open Elevated

2. elevated admin command prompt

in Windows 10 Customization
    elevated admin command prompt: where is the dictionary and/or the appendix for the language to use in the elevated admin command prompt??? I would prefer to simply ask my friends in redmond at the garage to imput the needed code/txt so that my thumbs dont go numb...lolol...
  3. Unable to change -Command Prompt - To :- Elevated Command Prompt

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Unable to change -Command Prompt - To :- Elevated Command Prompt: Having problem installing updates windows 10 64bit - version 2004 -- need to access command prompt as an Administrator to try to fix. Any ideas ?...
  4. Open Elevated Command Prompt via Context Menu ...

in Windows 10 Support
    Open Elevated Command Prompt via Context Menu ...: ... as the post title. My search here only found a tutorial for a 'standard' command prompt. -thx 167608
  5. Access Denied in elevated command prompt

in Windows 10 Customization
    Access Denied in elevated command prompt: Hello everybody, I'm trying to run a simple command in an elevated Command Prompt that acts on a folder that resides on a secondary HDD. That drive and the entirety of its contents have my only machine's user account also the administrator set as the owner, as does...
  6. Run vs. Command Prompt vs Elevated command prompt?

in Windows 10 Support
    Run vs. Command Prompt vs Elevated command prompt?: Is there a rule of thumb to know which of the referenced you would use when entering a particular command or file name? Mark 112722
  7. Can you open Elevated Command Prompt from Command Prompt?

in Windows 10 Support
    Can you open Elevated Command Prompt from Command Prompt?: I have read everything I can find on Error messages regarding looping of Preparing to Repair. I can not open my computer to Windows...it never loads. I started experiencing problems a while ago. Finally, I would be able to get on line, but only for about a minute before it...
  8. Make Elevated Command Prompt open to %userprofile%

in Windows 10 Support
    Make Elevated Command Prompt open to %userprofile%: I have the Command Prompt icon on my Taskbar as I use it a lot. It's set to always run as Administrator, so when I launch it, the Command Prompt window opens to C:\Windows\system32. I want it to open to %userprofile% which is C:\Users\myaccountname. Has anyone found a...
  9. Get elevated command prompt to open in my user directory

in Windows 10 Support
    Get elevated command prompt to open in my user directory: I changed Command Prompt on my Taskbar so when I click on it, it opens as Administrator. That sets the default directory as C:\WINDOWS\system32 which I don't like, since any files I create that do not have a path specified will be created there. I want it to open in my...
  10. Open Elevated Command Prompt in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Open Elevated Command Prompt in Windows 10: How to: Open Elevated Command Prompt in Windows 10 [img] Information A command prompt is an entry point for typing computer commands in the Command Prompt window. By typing commands in an elevated command prompt, you can perform tasks that require administrator rights on...