Windows 10: Can't open file from other directories via cmd

Discus and support Can't open file from other directories via cmd in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I just started learning how to use cmd, so this might just be a misunderstanding on my part. I'm trying to run certain files via cmd from any... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by OtakuAltair, Jun 23, 2020.

1. Can't open file from other directories via cmd

I just started learning how to use cmd, so this might just be a misunderstanding on my part.

I'm trying to run certain files via cmd from any location, and if I'm correct I'm supposed to do that by adding environment variables. So I added a new user variable and system variable with the name "ATOM" in system properties. This is what it looks like:
    Can't open file from other directories via cmd 699b0ddf-1651-4e67-b99f-b3cd915039eb?upload=true.png

This is what the directory of the files looks like:
    Can't open file from other directories via cmd 76a6e8bd-5c7e-43b6-a74d-b40d4f6cfc47?upload=true.png

These files do run when opened from their own directory:
    Can't open file from other directories via cmd 29147af6-615c-4011-916a-ad5fba77debd?upload=true.png

But when I enter "path" in cmd, the directory of the files doesn't show, and trying to open these files from other directories does this:
    Can't open file from other directories via cmd 3e7c0c9d-c83f-443f-a86e-5e303f04224c?upload=true.png

Just to be safe, I restarted my pc hoping for different results but that did nothing.

So, how do I get a file to run from any directory?

:)

OtakuAltair, Jun 23, 2020

2. Can't open or rename file (name is too long) WTF?

Thread necro...

When in doubt, use CMD.

1. Run CMD
    2. Use CD <path> to navigate to the directory where the file exists.
    3. Use the DIR command to get the list of files. DIR will likely abbreviate the ridiculously long named file with NAME~1.
    4. Use the MOVE <source> <destination> to give the file a new name. For example: move "NAME~1" "MyShortName"
    5. ...
    6. PROFIT!

CMD is always the answer. *Wink Can't open file from other directories via cmd ;)

FordGT90Concept, Jun 23, 2020
  3. Directory Size Utility

Change Log v1.6

• Resoved an issue where selecting "Detail" from the "View" drop down would cause duplicates.
    • New "Peek" feature!
      • Selecting something in the Directory column in the Directory view (Left window) while holding "z" will peek into that directory!
      • Double clicking the Directory column in the directory view(Left window) while holding "z" will add the folder.
    • New color coded feature in both Size columns for Detailed view.
    • Exporting to Excel will now Export both Folder (left) and File (right) window. In the excel file the Folder, and File window will be on different sheets.
    • Add a feature to export to older excel 97-2003 (.xls) from the file/export drop down window.
    Download HERE!

Don't forget to enter to win this game bundle! here Drawing is this Friday!

Mindweaver, Jun 23, 2020
  4. Drone Win User

Can't open file from other directories via cmd

Directory Size Utility

First of all nice utility, Mindweaver!
    Second of all, it's so nice to see that this section ain't dead.

I have a few questions/suggestions, maybe you'd want to see ...
    • maybe you rename Get Folder button caption to something more intuitive? Add Folder, Get Folder Size, Check Folder Size or something like that?
    • Could you add subfolder files to the right pane? (it can be a tickbox with include sub dirs)
    • maybe you also add export list to excel?
    • there's delete file button maybe you add delete folder button too?
    • and finally maybe you can add UP button for directories?

Drone, Jun 23, 2020
Thema:

Can't open file from other directories via cmd

1. Can't open file from other directories via cmd - Similar Threads - Can't open file

2. How to list Writable directories from CMD and Powershell?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to list Writable directories from CMD and Powershell?: Dear Members,I want to know if there is any command that can show me writable directories in CMD and Powershell. ######Just like we can use in Linux: find / -type d -writable -print Find Writable Directories find / -writable 2>/dev/null cut -d "/" -f 2 sort -u• find /...
  3. File Open/File Save: Jumping From Selected Directories

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Open/File Save: Jumping From Selected Directories: The left-hand pane of the File Open and File Save dialogs "jump" from the folder I have scrolled to back to the same folders that were shown when I opened the dialog. This occurs within a few seconds of clicking "open" or "save." I checked this community for solutions and...
  4. CMD Active Directory

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    CMD Active Directory: . . https://www.delmaster.net/246 AD net user / domain cmd . https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cmd%EB%A1%9C-active-directory%EC%97%90/81d92426-cd52-459d-8b33-ac087f14e54d
  5. Is there a way to open a cmd window from Win+R to a specific directory?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is there a way to open a cmd window from Win+R to a specific directory?: If I want to open a cmd window to c:\dir is there a way to open directly there from either from the Windows 10 search box or using Win+R? I've tried, for example cmd c:\dir (with and without quotes) but that doesn't work. submitted by /u/franks-and-beans [link] [comments]...
  6. Can't open .exe files anymore and can't open cmd or regedit

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Can't open .exe files anymore and can't open cmd or regedit: Hi, I can't open .exe file anymore. When I double click on I have this pop up asking how I want to open .exe file. Do you know how I can fix this problem whereas I can't open cmd or regedit ? [IMG] [IMG]...
  7. Open Cmd via PowerShell, command?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Open Cmd via PowerShell, command?: Please i need to open cmd win + r and so i know i need to know how to open it via powershell pls (.bat and so i know it needs to be opened via powershell. Pls PowerShell command to open cmd? Cmd über PowerShell öffnen, Befehl?
  8. Update from 1903 to 1909 via CMD

Update from 1903 to 1909 via CMD: [IMG] I have some command here that I use to upgrade Win 7 clients to 10 silently but was wondering if there are similar ones I can use to upgrade a PC that already has Windows 10 to the latest version such as 1903 to 1909 silently or would they be the same? \" submitted...
  9. Can't run cmd from file explorer

Can't run cmd from file explorer: submitted by /u/roryc102 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/e9c0d1/cant_run_cmd_from_file_explorer/
  10. Open cmd from file explorer with admin rights

in Windows 10 Support
    Open cmd from file explorer with admin rights: I managed to get cmd to always run as admin from start->cmd But running cmd this way always launch it at the windows/system32 directory. I need a way to run cmd in file explorer directly so that the current directory will be at the path I launched it but it is always...