Windows 10: can't open files from desktop

Discus and support can't open files from desktop in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I can't open any files I copy or save to my desktop. When I try to open them from the desktop, I receive the following message: "The directory name is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by CamdenHutchison, Sep 20, 2020.

1. can't open files from desktop

I can't open any files I copy or save to my desktop. When I try to open them from the desktop, I receive the following message: "The directory name is invalid." Strangely, I CAN open these files from the desktop folder in the My Computer window, or if I open them from within their associated program Acrobat, Word, etc.. This is a minor annoyance but I can't figure out the cause.

:)

CamdenHutchison, Sep 20, 2020
  2. MohanC Win User

windows 10 deleted my desktop files

Step 1 - I upgraded to Win 10 and lost all my files on Desktop.

Step 2 - Found the files in Network - USers- Desktop

copied all files again to desktop.

Step 3- Restarted my machine again and lost desktop files again.

Step 4 - As suggested did the following as listed below but dont find my files.

• Press “Windows + E”, open This PC/Computer
    • Open Local Disc C, open Windows.old
    • Click on Users, select your User name
    • Go to desktop folder
    Cant find my files. Why is Win 10 deleted files again and again from Desktop ?.

MohanC, Sep 20, 2020
  3. Ketxxx Win User
    opening .dds files with gimp

Simply, HOW? I got the DDS plugin but the POS wont open DDS files still. Can someone give me a step-by-step rundown of how to install the DDS plugin for gimp so I know if I'm missing something?

Ketxxx, Sep 20, 2020
  4. can't open files from desktop

Windows 10 missing desktop files

Hi Adriane,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I can imagine the inconvenience you have experienced. I will definitely help you with this.

• Did you do a clean installation of Windows or upgrade to Windows 10?
    I suggest you to follow the below steps and check if you can find your desktop files.

• Open This PC.
    • Double click on C: drive.
    • Open Users > double click on your user name.
    • Open Desktop and check if you can find missing files.
    Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with Windows. We are glad to assist you.

Thank you.

ThofikhAhamad, Sep 20, 2020
Thema:

can't open files from desktop

1. can't open files from desktop - Similar Threads - can't open files

2. can't open files downloaded from the internet

in Windows 10 Gaming
    can't open files downloaded from the internet: few weeks ago I have noticed that i can't seem to open files downloaded from the internet. These files include PDF, Word.doc, images of different format jpg, pnp etc..1. No error message, just nothing happens.2. Preview works3. Not just newly downloaded files but also very...
  3. Can't delete a file from my desktop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't delete a file from my desktop: I downloaded a file from a tax website onto my desktop. The file was automatically labelled by the provider as follows:"1099 E-File, E-File 1099-MISC, 1099-K Form Online, 1099-INT Form Online, 1099-DIV Form Online, 1042-S Form Online, 1099-A Form Online, 1099-B Form Online,...
  4. Can't delete a file from my desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't delete a file from my desktop: I downloaded a file from a tax website onto my desktop. The file was automatically labelled by the provider as follows:"1099 E-File, E-File 1099-MISC, 1099-K Form Online, 1099-INT Form Online, 1099-DIV Form Online, 1042-S Form Online, 1099-A Form Online, 1099-B Form Online,...
  5. Can't delete Excel file from desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't delete Excel file from desktop: You probably think, "Go check the thousands of other posts and replies about the problem!" but trust me, nothing works!I'll try to keep it short. Got an email from the boss with an xlsx attachment. The attachment didn't 'save as' due to permission issues but 'right click ->...
  6. Can't delete Excel file from desktop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't delete Excel file from desktop: You probably think, "Go check the thousands of other posts and replies about the problem!" but trust me, nothing works!I'll try to keep it short. Got an email from the boss with an xlsx attachment. The attachment didn't 'save as' due to permission issues but 'right click ->...
  7. Can't open files on a disk from Hospital

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't open files on a disk from Hospital: Every time I try and open the MRI pictures on the disk I have, I get a message box that says The code execution cannot proceed because MSVCP100.dll was not found. Reinstalling the program may fix this problem. And a second box pops up after I close that one and says the same...
  8. Can't open pictures from file explorer on Desktop - "We can't open this file"

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't open pictures from file explorer on Desktop - "We can't open this file": [ATTACH] Hi, I've had this issue for a few months now which I think happened from a certain Windows 10 update but every time I try to open a picture on my desktop using file explorer I get this error:...
  9. Can't delete files from my desktop

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't delete files from my desktop: I saved 2 files as PDFs. I couldn't rename them and now I cannot delete them from the desk top. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-delete-files-from-my-desktop/e94377c9-6ed5-4b7b-9aec-c0dab6d14ba7"
  10. Help: Can't Delete FIles From Desktop

in Windows 10 Support
    Help: Can't Delete FIles From Desktop: Hey all, I'm looking for advice on how to fix this strange problem: I cannot delete a subgroup of files from my desktop. - If I create a new file (using Notepad) I can easily delete the file - I can move an offending file to another folder but am still unable to delete it -...