Windows 10: Can't open files since update

Discus and support Can't open files since update in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Since the last update last week i am unable to open word documents, or power-points. It lets me open some word documents saved on my computer already... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by HannahZY, Mar 15, 2021.

1. HannahZY Win User

Can't open files since update

Since the last update last week i am unable to open word documents, or power-points. It lets me open some word documents saved on my computer already but not new ones i need to download, and will not let me open any saved powerpoints already on my computer or new that i need to download!! I've tried the properties - unblock - but this still won't work!

:)

HannahZY, Mar 15, 2021
  2. Ketxxx Win User

opening .dds files with gimp

Simply, HOW? I got the DDS plugin but the POS wont open DDS files still. Can someone give me a step-by-step rundown of how to install the DDS plugin for gimp so I know if I'm missing something?

Ketxxx, Mar 15, 2021
  3. jaydeee Win User
    PowerPoint file crashes PowerPoint upon opening

since this happens in some of the computers only, suggest that you open the file on working computer and copy everything and paste to a new powerpoint file.
    most of the time it works to me. *Smile Can't open files since update :)

jaydeee, Mar 15, 2021
  4. Can't open files since update

"open with" and opening of files slow

Hello,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

1. Since when are you facing this issue?
    2. Have you made any changes on your computer, prior to this issue?

To fix issues with Word documents opening slowly, I suggest you to attach a different template to the document and check if that helps. Follow the below steps to attach a templates.

Steps:-

1. Open Word application.
    2. Click on File and select Options.
    3. Select Add-Ins from the list.
    4. Under Manage Select Templates and click on
      Go.
    5. In the pop up, type Normal in the Document template.
    6. Click on Ok.

To fix issues with Adobe files opening slowly follow the below troubleshooting steps and check if that helps.

Steps:-

1. Open Adobe application.
    2. Click on Edit.
    3. Select Preferences option.
    4. Tap on General.
    5. Uncheck Enable protected mode at startup.

Hope it helps.

Sandeep Kumar M

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Sandeep_KM, Mar 15, 2021
Thema:

Can't open files since update

1. Can't open files since update - Similar Threads - Can't open files

2. New update: can't open file explorer

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    New update: can't open file explorer: My OS updated automatically last night. This morning I am unable to open my file explorer. I tried opening via task manager but I just get a blank screen. I then tried to check for updates in settings but my settings keeps crashing. Anyone else experiencing a similar issue or...
  3. cannot open jpeg files and mp3 since last update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    cannot open jpeg files and mp3 since last update: cannot open jpeg files and mp3 since last update https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-open-jpeg-files-and-mp3-since-last-update/4602bd4e-aa00-486f-b79c-b185499b63ad
  4. Cannot open .pdf files since updating

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot open .pdf files since updating: I just updated my computer to the latest version of windows as of 9/14/19 and I can no longer open .pdf files. When I click to open them, I receive a popup window with a message telling me that the file cannot be found and to check that I typed the address correctly....
  5. Can't open Bitlocker encrypted files since upgrade to 1809

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Can't open Bitlocker encrypted files since upgrade to 1809: Self built PC., O/S Windows 10 Pro Version 1809 (Build 17763.475) Processor Intel i7 8700K Memory 32GB DDR4 2400 Dual Motherboard Gygabytes AORUS Z370 Gaming K3 Revision # Rev 1.0 Graphics card ASUS GeForce GTX 1070 Turbo 8GB From aria pc 02/06/2018 Since upgrading from...
  6. Can't open Bitlocker encrypted files since upgrade to 1809

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't open Bitlocker encrypted files since upgrade to 1809: Self built PC., O/S Windows 10 Pro Version 1809 (Build 17763.475) Processor Intel i7 8700K Memory 32GB DDR4 2400 Dual Motherboard Gygabytes AORUS Z370 Gaming K3 Revision # Rev 1.0 Graphics card ASUS GeForce GTX 1070 Turbo 8GB From aria pc 02/06/2018 Since upgrading from...
  7. Apps not opening since last update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Apps not opening since last update: Multiple apps have since last update flash opened and closed. Reset Windows did not work. Seems like this has been going on for a while without a fix from Microsoft. When will we get a fix from Microsoft? Version 1809 OS Build 17763.404...
  8. Unable to open PDF files since update

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to open PDF files since update: Since the last Windows 10 update, I have been unable to open any PDF files, without going through another source (normally a web browser such as Chrome or Edge). When trying to open the PDF directly, I get the error " Windows cannot find (enter the file name of PDF here)....
  9. Can't open Ubuntu since the latest Windows Store update of the app

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can't open Ubuntu since the latest Windows Store update of the app: Hello, I am running Ubuntu from the Windows Store and got a notification yesterday that the app was updated in the store. As soon as I opened the app, I am welcomed by this error : [ATTACH] As you noticed, the error mentions ubuntu1804. That's because I decided to...
  10. Can't open files stored in e-mail since updating to W10

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't open files stored in e-mail since updating to W10: Before I had W10, I would store important e-mails in e-mail files. When I upgraded to W10, I still have the titles of the files, but when I click on them, they won't open. I've a lot of important info in those files I can't access, i.e. KEYS to programs. How can I open those...