Windows 10: Can't open jpegs or play videos

Discus and support Can't open jpegs or play videos in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Help Please!! After the most recent Windows 10 update - I can't open any jpeg files or play any video files on my computer. Have tried various online... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by SandraCrossland1, Jul 26, 2021.

1. Can't open jpegs or play videos

Help Please!! After the most recent Windows 10 update - I can't open any jpeg files or play any video files on my computer. Have tried various online solutions - none have worked so far.Any suggestions/help appreciated.Thanks in advance!

:)

SandraCrossland1, Jul 26, 2021
  2. John Vil Win User

Cant open JPEG

Hello John,

One possible reason why certain JPEG's wouldn't open may be due to file corruptions. To better assist you, kindly answer the questions below:

• Were there any recent hardware/software changes done on your computer prior to this happening?
    • Does this error appear when opening other JPEG files or is the issue specific to a single JPEG file?
    • Does this error appear when you try to open other file types?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you tried so far?

We're looking forward for your response.

John Vil, Jul 26, 2021
  3. Amit_Sun Win User
    video not playing

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

1. May I know, which video player you are using to play the video?
    2. Are you able to play the video on any other computer?
    3. Are you facing the issue with only specific video or with all the other videos?

This issue could also occur when the USB or SD card is corrupted when you have transferred the video.

Try the troubleshooting methods provided below to further narrow down the root cause of the issue.

Method 1: Try a different video player.

1. Try to use a different USB to transfer the video, if you are playing it on other computer or device.
    2. I suggest you to try a different video player and check if it plays.
    3. You can also check on different device or computer.

Step: Run Windows Media player troubleshooter.

1. Press Windows + R key on your keyboard together.
    2. Copy and paste the below command and run each at a time and follow the onscreen instruction on the troubleshooter
    3. msdt.exe -id WindowsMediaPlayerConfigurationDiagnostic
    4. msdt.exe -id WindowsMediaPlayerLibraryDiagnostic
    5. msdt.exe -id WindowsMediaPlayerDVDDiagnostic
    6. Reboot the computer and check.
    If you still face the issue, reply to this post with more information.

Hope it helps,

Amit Sunar

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Amit_Sun, Jul 26, 2021
  4. Can't open jpegs or play videos

Can not open jpeg photos with windows 10 (after deleted the pre-installed "Photos" app)

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I would like to inform you that if you delete photos app, the pictures that you like to access will open in Windows Photo viewer or the applications which supports the respective format. To open certain images with the apps that you prefer, you will have
    to customize it.

I suggest you to try the steps provided below.

• Right click on the pic that you would like to view.
      • Click on Open With.
      • Click on Choose another app.
      • Choose the app accordingly.
      • Place a check mark on Always use this app to open.jpeg.
    I would also like to inform you that even .jpeg pictures can be open with paint application. To check whether the picture is .jpeg format. I suggest you to right click on the picture and click on properties.

Hope the information helps. Let us know if you need further assistance. We will be happy to help.

Thank you.

Krishna Prasobh V, Jul 26, 2021
Thema:

Can't open jpegs or play videos

1. Can't open jpegs or play videos - Similar Threads - Can't open jpegs

2. I can't open jpeg files.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I can't open jpeg files.: So as i said i can't open jpeg files, i tried to scan for some errors but nothing, i tried to update windows but nothing, i tried to re-install the photo viewer of default but still nothing. i have a windows 10 thanks for the help...
  3. I can't open jpeg files.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I can't open jpeg files.: So as i said i can't open jpeg files, i tried to scan for some errors but nothing, i tried to update windows but nothing, i tried to re-install the photo viewer of default but still nothing. i have a windows 10 thanks for the help...
  4. I can't open jpeg files.

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. can't open pdf files or play videos

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    can't open pdf files or play videos: this past week i can't open pdf files or play basic videos. it is work related and not any crazy content thx https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-open-pdf-files-or-play-videos/5e7c506d-2b40-4a57-a694-d4b5d5c02fd0
  6. Can't play videos

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Can't play videos: Split from this thread. I have a video that I cannot play on my computer. Everytime I try to open it, an error message pops up. Ive tried playing it in windows media player and other players as well, but no luck. What do I do?...
  7. Can't open ".jpeg/.JPEG" files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't open ".jpeg/.JPEG" files: Hello Windows 10 can't open ".jpeg/.JPEG" files in Photo viewer/Photos/Paint app. windows edition - Windows 10 Pro windows version - 2004 Installed on - 2020-07-16 OS build - 19041.388 Experience - Windows Feature Experience Pack...
  8. can't open videos

can't open videos: Where I used to open Vimeo videos without problems, but now when I click on the view button a white screen appears.... no video. Pls advise, Bert https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-open-videos/32858ae7-7aaf-49d5-a768-51ea66436b7e
  9. jpeg videos

jpeg videos: Jpeg video image is very large and out of focus. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/jpeg-videos/c978e789-1f73-4976-9b8d-5ca502ded85c
  10. can't play videos

in Windows 10 Support
    can't play videos: when I play video files on my new Windows 10 system I can only hear the audio but can't see the video 15903