Windows 10: Can't open Microsoft Word and some other Apps

Discus and support Can't open Microsoft Word and some other Apps in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; [ATTACH] For the past 2 days, I have not been able to open any of the Microsoft Office apps on my Dell Inspiron 5570 Laptop, which was recently... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/suganthan1205, Oct 25, 2020.

1. Can't open Microsoft Word and some other Apps

Can't open Microsoft Word and some other Apps IoKGl9xujVbkuntUbh837gLLucqtyNKe-STIzFPpy_U.jpg

For the past 2 days, I have not been able to open any of the Microsoft Office apps on my Dell Inspiron 5570 Laptop, which was recently reset after a crash followed by the blue screen of death. Now I have an assignment deadline coming up and this happens ( Added images for reference). Adding up, many other applications like photos and Movies&Tv doesn't work too! I tried reinstalling the applications but Microsoft Store doesn't seem to respond properly. The downloads are always pending and they don't start installing even after clicking on the download now button. I have no idea what's going on with my laptop and need some serious help right now. Can somebody please help me out? Thanks in advance!!

(Ignore my grammar)

This is what shows up when trying to open any sort of media files.

This is what shows up when clicking on Word.

submitted by /u/suganthan1205
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/suganthan1205, Oct 25, 2020

2. microsoft word 2003

I have a lot of ms word files on my pc. But one of them showed me an error - Getting unknown error messages while opening (.doc) or (.docx) files. I don't know how to open my word file or repair microsoft word. Any suggestions, guys, please.

abandone15, Oct 25, 2020
  3. newtekie1 Win User
    microsoft word 2003

Is it just one file, or all your word files?

With the exception of Outlook, I have yet to find a reason to stop using Office 2000, 2003, and 2007. They open all the latest files just fine, and they work just fine.

newtekie1, Oct 25, 2020
  4. mngerhold Win User

Can't open Microsoft Word and some other Apps

Can I customize the list of suggest apps in the "Open with" menu?

Well, I hope this helps the OP - it took a while. I tried 'Default Program Editor' (DPE) and it did indeed add (or remove) items, but when I tried to specifically add Word to pdf opening, it failed - it went through the motions, but nothing happened. So I started again, playing with settings for opening .doc files. This seemed to work: initially in explorer I had 3 programs appear in the 'default' list that pops up on a rt-click>open-with:

Can't open Microsoft Word and some other Apps [​IMG]

and this is what the relevant bit of the Registry showed:

Don't ask me why just 3 of those 8 (a to h) programs show up (maybe the 'instant' list is limited to three? - no, see later) - anyway, I used DPE to remove Wordpad from the list: when saving the edit as a REG file, this is what I got:

Code:
    and the result in Explorer was:

and the registry now shows:

Note how item 'g' from the list has been removed (it seems there is no issue with having a letter missing). I then messed about trying to open a .doc file with various other programs, and they all started to appear in the 'instant' list:

So I thought 'well, that is easy - just open a pdf once in Word and it should appear'. So back to trying to open PDFs: but however many times I tried, Word would never appear.

even though there were any number of entries in the Registry 'Open With' list, including Word:

So what did DPE make of this - well, it showed some of the entries:

Although Word is shown, it doesn't appear on a rt-click. Its entry can be removed, but that doesn't help. So my attention was drawn to the existence of another folder below 'OpenWithList', namely 'OpenWithProgids', and that contained a specific ref to Sumatra (my preferred program for PDFs). Looking back at the same entry for .docx, I found this:

so I added an identical Word.Document.12 ref to the list for PDFs:

I think IrfanView is there as it got added during my experiments! I now get this in Explorer:

Hurrah! I then tried to use DPE to remove the redundant entries, and got this as a .REG file:
    Code:
    But when i merge that with the registry, the IrfanView item does not get deleted:

and as seen in the registry:

so I deleted it by hand, and at last have the entries I (or rather, the OP) want:

Note that my manually added reg entry is of type Binary', as there seems to be no way to add a value of type 'None'.

So it seems that DPE cannot cope with entries in the 'Progids' list, and something makes some programs fall into that list, rather than the 'openwithlist'. I am sorry for any typos above, or pictures in the wrong place - can't be bothered to check it too thoroughly. Hope it helps someone!

atb, Martin

mngerhold, Oct 25, 2020
Thema:

Can't open Microsoft Word and some other Apps

1. Can't open Microsoft Word and some other Apps - Similar Threads - Can't open Microsoft

2. Can't open/update/reinstall some Microsoft apps

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't open/update/reinstall some Microsoft apps: Some Microsoft apps on my computer are not working. I went to Microsoft Store to check for updates. I tried to update them all, but it shows "Something happened on our end" and does not update. Those are the apps that are not working....
  3. Can't open/update/reinstall some Microsoft apps

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't open/update/reinstall some Microsoft apps: Some Microsoft apps on my computer are not working. I went to Microsoft Store to check for updates. I tried to update them all, but it shows "Something happened on our end" and does not update. Those are the apps that are not working....
  4. MicroSoft Store And Other Microsoft Apps Are Opening

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    MicroSoft Store And Other Microsoft Apps Are Opening: Microsoft Store And Other Microsoft Apps Are Opening i Have idea what Is Going on I Tried All Commands and All Possible way on Internet i seen But Noting Work For Me Please Help Please Watch The Video...
  5. I can't open some microsoft apps.

I can't open some microsoft apps.: I can't open apps like microsoft store, calculator, calendar and Xbox gamebar.When I try to start them nothing shows up. Sometimes when I launch games like Minecraft it says "Xbox gamebar can't open search for it in the Microsoft store", but I can still play it. And i tried...
  6. Can't open microsoft store and some apps!

Can't open microsoft store and some apps!: Hello Microsoft Community, Since Monday I've been having problems with Microsoft store app, when I open store it appears the message CHECK YOUR CONNECTION Microsoft store needs to be online. It looks like your not. With error code 0x80072EFD. And then a second message with...
  7. Microsoft store and some apps can't open

Microsoft store and some apps can't open: Hello,my microsoft store won't open. One day, I wanted to update some apps on microsoft store. I reset microsoft store because there we problems. After I reset it , It couldn't open. I tried reinstalling MS store and it does nothing. Also, it looks normal at first but when I...
  8. Couldn't open MS Word and some other Microsoft Office apps. Couldn't open the apps through...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Couldn't open MS Word and some other Microsoft Office apps. Couldn't open the apps through...: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/suganthan1205 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/jzdmox/couldnt_open_ms_word_and_some_other_microsoft/
  9. Windows can not open word and other apps

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows can not open word and other apps: Hi, After I updated my system with the latest Windows update KB 4559309 I am having problem opening Ms Office and other applications. The shortcut points to the right exe file, the file exists but I get the message "Windows can not find C:\....\winword.exe" Make sure you...
  10. Microsoft Store and some other apps are not opening (Stuck in update)

Microsoft Store and some other apps are not opening (Stuck in update): Please refer below screenshots for the message that I receive when I try to open some MS apps. Issue - The apps that do not open appear as blurred icons as visible in Image 1. The message that I receive when I click on this is given in Image 2. A brief list of the apps...