Windows 10: Can't open multiple files from Explorer in non-default apps

Discus and support Can't open multiple files from Explorer in non-default apps in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I've associated local files with the extension .html to open from Explorer in Firefox, but as I also edit those files, I use the pull down menu in the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by AndiB1, Jun 21, 2019.

1. AndiB1 Win User

Can't open multiple files from Explorer in non-default apps

I've associated local files with the extension .html to open from Explorer in Firefox, but as I also edit those files, I use the pull down menu in the Quick Access Bar to select alternate apps to open those files with. This works well when trying to open a single file:
    Can't open multiple files from Explorer in non-default apps 96407286-2cdc-4b10-b849-093f895dae44?upload=true.jpg

When I attempt to open multiple files in the same way (i.e. same file extension, not in the app that extension has been associated with) the only app available in the Quick Access Bar pull down is that associated with the file type - Firefox:
    Can't open multiple files from Explorer in non-default apps 9e9711de-03a6-4bca-a2d0-f76d96101267?upload=true.jpg
    Is there a way to make the behaviour the same for single and multiple file selections?

:)

AndiB1, Jun 21, 2019

2. Non-Store Default Apps for a file protocol in windows 10

Hi Ajo,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to follow the below steps.

1) Right click on the file and select choose another app to open. It will display the list of apps to open.

2) If the app is not listed then select more apps and check if you can find it.

Let us know the status of the issue.

Thanks.

Anil Madishetty, Jun 21, 2019
  3. Win10: set 'view' default in file explorer

Hi Dennis,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

As I understand that you are trying to set file explorer as default. We will help you to resolve the issue.

I suggest you to follow the below steps how to set file explorer as default and check if it helps.

1. In the search box type as “settings”.

2. Go to “system” and click on “default apps”.

3.Then click on “set default apps by”.

4. Select “File Explorer from the list” and click on “choose defaults for this program”.

5. Then check the box “select all” and click on “save.

6. Then click on “ok”.

Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Karthicka_R, Jun 21, 2019
  4. Rohn007 Win User

Default apps and open with files

In the Start menu

search for "default

select "Default App Setting"

click on "Choose Default Apps by file type".

Look through the list to find the file types

https://askleo.com/how-do-i-change-the-default-...

...........********************************...........

**************** BS Disclaimer **************

...........********************************...........

Standard boilerplate legalistic bafflegab disclaimer for any links to non-Microsoft websites:

The link(s) to non MS-page(s) appears to be providing accurate, safe information. I suggest you stick with the “manual” instructions. Unless I explicitly suggest it, avoid downloading their “utilities”. Thoroughly research any product advertised on the site
    before you decide to download and install it. Sometimes they include 3rd party programs, "unwanted" programs that are automatically installed during a standard install. So, if offered, do a "custom" install and carefully read each step. One of the steps MAY
    give you an option to install, or NOT, "additional" programs. 99.9% of the time you don't want to let them be installed. For example, when you install Adobe Player you are given the option of installing 2 additional "free trial" programs: Potentially Unwanted
    Programs: MacAfee Security Scan and MacAfee Safe Connect. The option to install is turned on, you have to manually turn it off. Those are PUP's. If you click "OK"/"Next" without paying attention you get the 2 "extra" programs.

As well, watch out for ads on the site. They may advertise products that include PUPs. Thoroughly research any product advertised on the site before you decide to download and install it.

............**********************************...........

*************** End Disclaimer *****************

............**********************************...........

Rohn007, Jun 21, 2019
Thema:

1. Can't open multiple files from Explorer in non-default apps - Similar Threads - Can't open multiple

2. Can't select multiple files in file explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't select multiple files in file explorer: Hi, I have an issue where I can't select multiple files in file explorer. This problem only occurs in the small window that web browsers give you to upload a file to a website. I also can't select a time range by clicking the titleex: all the files i downloaded today,...
  3. Can't select multiple files in file explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't select multiple files in file explorer: Hi, I have an issue where I can't select multiple files in file explorer. This problem only occurs in the small window that web browsers give you to upload a file to a website. I also can't select a time range by clicking the titleex: all the files i downloaded today,...
  4. Can't select multiple files in file explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. File Explorer sluggish opening from apps

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer sluggish opening from apps: Win10 v21H1 build 19043.1165. File Explorer works fine in all situations except when opened from an app to select a file or files, or a location and name to save. 15-20 seconds for it to start up. Drives me crazy. The smaller window for selecting a directory works fine...
  6. Windows explorer opens multiple files

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows explorer opens multiple files: Hi, May be a repeated question, but I was wondering, why windows explorer opens multiple files in a strange order? For example, if say, I have four files in a folder, named A, C, J, Z and to open them, I select them in this order..A, C, J, Z, then windows will open them in...
  7. File explorer not opening multiple files at once.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File explorer not opening multiple files at once.: For some reason, when I try to open 45 files at once, it does nothing. Somehow I was able to do this with over 100 files but I forgot how I managed to do that. They all have the same program and same file extension .mesh. It's supposed to open with a converter program....
  8. Default apps for opening files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Default apps for opening files: How do you change the programs/apps which appear on the drop-down lists next to each file extension type in the "Choose default apps by file type" menu? I'm trying to associate the Windows Photos app with the .webp extension which Google is now saving many of my pictures...
  9. File Explorer multiple windows opening

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer multiple windows opening: A new glitch has developed in my Win 10 file explorer. Whenever I attempt to select multiple files in a row, in order to move them, no matter how careful I am multiple windows open for each file. As I have over 2000 files to move from one network computer to another this has...
  10. Opening multiple files in file explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    Opening multiple files in file explorer: Windows 10. I no longer am able to open more than one jpg file in Photoshop Elements 14 (so maybe this is a PE problem as don't have a problem with Word or Excel files?) If I select more than one it will open every one except the first one selected (usually though seems a bit...