Windows 10: Can't open new folder on desktop

Discus and support Can't open new folder on desktop in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Unable to open a new folder in desk top. Also can't open a folder in the ribbon, not highlighted... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Pirmac, Apr 3, 2019.

1. Pirmac Win User

Can't open new folder on desktop

Unable to open a new folder in desk top. Also can't open a folder in the ribbon, not highlighted

:)

Pirmac, Apr 3, 2019

2. Can't open folders on desktop

Hello David,

System file corruption is one of the possible causes of this issue. For us to isolate and assist you better, kindly answer the following questions:

• What exactly happens when you try to open folder?
    • Are you getting any error messages?

Meanwhile, we suggest checking this article and follow the
    steps to automatically diagnose and repair problems with files and folders in Windows.

We're looking forward to your response.

Michelle Vil, Apr 3, 2019
  3. KomouPoji Win User
    Whenever I open a folder, it opens in new window (Windows 10)

Hi Pratyaksh,

To assist you further, let me ask.

• What changes have you make in the folder options?

• Is the error specific to a folder?
    I would suggest you to follow the steps and check if it help.

• Open file explorer, click on view and select options.

• Double-click on options, in the general tab click on Open each folder in the same Window.

• Click apply and ok.
    I hope the information is helpful and if you need any other assistance on Windows, we’ll be glad to assists you.

Thank you.

KomouPoji, Apr 3, 2019
  4. Can't open new folder on desktop

creating new folder problem in windows 10 creator

Hi Gudiya,

The problem you've encountered in creating a folder could be caused by software or program conflict as the issue appeared a few days after installing the Windows 10 Creators update. For us to know if this only occurs when creating a new folder from the desktop,
    we suggest that you try creating a new folder using a keyboard shortcut or from File Explorer. Please refer to the steps below:

Creating a new folder using a keyboard shortcut.

• Click on the desktop.
    • Press CTRL + SHIFT + N.
    • A new folder should be created.

Creating a new folder from File Explorer.

• Open File Explorer.
    • Hover your mouse on the location where you want to create a new folder.
    • Right-click it, go to New > Folder.

In case the problem persists, then we suggest that you go ahead and perform a clean boot. Doing so will start your computer using minimal drivers to help us determine what conflict is causing the problem. Check out
    How to perform a clean boot in Windows for the detailed steps.

Let us know the result so we can further assist you.

Regards.

Vanessa Yar, Apr 3, 2019
Thema:

Can't open new folder on desktop

1. Can't open new folder on desktop - Similar Threads - Can't open folder

2. Folders on desktop won't open.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Folders on desktop won't open.: I upgraded my PC from Windows 11 home to Pro. Now I am having issues with the folders on the desktop. double click dont work and right click and pressing open dont work.I went to task manager and restarted windows explorer. Didn't fix.In task manager I ended window explorer...
  3. Folders on desktop won't open.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Folders on desktop won't open.: I upgraded my PC from Windows 11 home to Pro. Now I am having issues with the folders on the desktop. double click dont work and right click and pressing open dont work.I went to task manager and restarted windows explorer. Didn't fix.In task manager I ended window explorer...
  4. folders won't open on desktop.

in Windows 10 Support
    folders won't open on desktop.: File folders on the desktop won't open. They seem to try to open then go to the taskbar where I can barely see them and cannot open them. The same issue is with file explorer and recycle. They won't open either but again seem to try to open then go to the task bar where I can...
  5. Desktop Folders not opening

in Windows 10 Customization
    Desktop Folders not opening: Folders on my desktop will not open as before. It goes to the File Explorer folder in the task bar in mini version, but can't open full screen as normal. The File Explorer folder will not open....
  6. new folder on desktop

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    new folder on desktop: every time I make a new folder on the desktop it places it at the top left corner I have everything organized in a certain way but every time I make a new folder or move something to the desktop it goes to the top left corner and messes up all the organizing i had and i have...
  7. New Desktop Folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    New Desktop Folder: Since the last Windows update I can no longer create a new file by right clicking and selecting new. The options are there but If I try to do that my computer momentarily freezes then nothing happens. Googling this issue shows I am not alone but I have not yet found a...
  8. Opening folders goes to desktop

Opening folders goes to desktop: Good day! When I try to open a file, attach a file or click on a shortcut, file explorer brings me to the desktop in my Quick Access list. I then have to navigate to the file I want. For example, I just clicked 'save' on a Word document. I clicked 'browse' and it went to...
  9. connect new desktop folders to existing desktop folders?

connect new desktop folders to existing desktop folders?: cannot connect from new desktop to existing laptop to updates files https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-networking/connect-new-desktop-folders-to-existing-desktop/845c127b-d8d4-4bfc-bc8c-0ed31bb5b090
  10. Create "New Folder" opens "New Shortcut" on desktop any ideas?

in Windows 10 Support
    Create "New Folder" opens "New Shortcut" on desktop any ideas?: Hi Folks, After a recent fresh install of Win 10 I have had this issue and a few more: i) When I try to create "New Folder" it opens "New Shortcut" on desktop any ideas? as in pic below. ii) I cannot create new installed Desktop "Short Cuts" - I have taken ownership /...