Windows 10: Can't open notepad - FIX

Discus and support Can't open notepad - FIX in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Works on: Version Dev (OS Build: 21343.1000) Hi there! I don't need any help with that thing. I just want to help you, if you got problems with opening... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by WiktorWdowiak, May 4, 2021.

1. Can't open notepad - FIX

Works on: Version Dev (OS Build: 21343.1000) Hi there! I don't need any help with that thing. I just want to help you, if you got problems with opening notepad. I've got this problem for a few days, and today I fixed it. The problem was, that you can open notepad only by opening a .txt file. What you must to do, to fix it, is: Open run.exe (WIN + R) Type "%localappdata%\Microsoft\WindowsApps" Press ENTER Now make sure that 0KB notepad.exe file is there. After checking, make: Open run.exe (WIN + R) Type cmd Press ENTER In the cmd type: del "%localappdata%\Microsoft\WindowsApps\notepad.exe" After that, you can open your notepad normally!

:)

WiktorWdowiak, May 4, 2021

2. Notepad

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. Appreciate your interest in using Windows 10.

I suggest you to follow the steps provided below:

• Open Task Manager. Here’s a tip: press CTRL+SHIFT+ESC.
    • Click on Startup tab.
    • Select Notepad from the list and click on Disable.

Hope the information is helpful. Feel free to write to us
    for any other assistance with Windows, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Eeshwar Kumar, May 4, 2021
  3. Bree Win User
    Notepad consuming cpu 40%

Your screenshot of Task Manager and the notepad.exe properties shows the same size and creation date as in @dalchina's earlier screenshot. So it looks like it is the real notepad that's running.

But - it isn't running the way it should. In your Task Manager there should be a > to the left of notepad, and clicking on it should open up a list of the Notepad instances that are running, along with the name of the document that's open (or 'Untitled - Notepad' if none).

Yours doesn't show that (compare it with dalchina's screenshot). Notepad is running - yes, but not the way it's supposed to. It appears to be in the list of background processes, not in the list of Apps where it should be. Could something be trying to run it as a service? Perhaps some malware set this up, but failed to replace the genuine notepad.exe with its counterfeit one?

As a first step I'd look at the Startup tab in Task Manager for clues.

Bree, May 4, 2021
  4. Amol S. Win User

Can't open notepad - FIX

notepad

04sall is the name of the document that Notepad has opened. Usually Notepad is meant to open "text" or "source code" files, however it can open other types of files. Now relating back to your issue, the fact that 04sall does not have file format means
    that it used by a program or Windows, and could be quite large. This might have caused Notepad to freeze. You will have to force close Notepad, to do that please follow the following steps.

Step 1: Press the buttons "Ctrl, alt, and delete" simultaneously. A list of options should come up. Click on Task Manager from the options that display. Note, if Task Manager is unable to open OR pressing the buttons "Ctrl, alt, and delete" simultaneously
    does not do anything, jump to Step 5.

Step 2: In task manager select Notepad. Now click the "End Task" button. If a confirmation message comes up, then click "End Task" in the confirmation message. If Notepad closes then problem is solved. If Notepad does not close please repeat this step.
    If repeating this step after 5 times does not work, go on to Step 3.

Step 3: Select Notepad on task manager, right click on the selected Notepad in Task Manager. A drop down menu should come up. Select "Go to Details". After doing this DO NOT click on anything yet. Go to step 4.

Step 4: There should already be something highlighted, right click the highlighted object, a drop down menu should appear. Click "End Task" option from that menu. A prompt will come up, click the "End Process" option on the prompt. If Notepad closes then
    problem is solved. If Notepad does not close, please repeat this step. If repeating this step does not work, got to step 5.

Step 5: Hard shutdown the computer, by pressing onto the power button. DO NOT LET GO OF the power button until the computer power indication sign has turned off. Now turn the computer back on. If the issue is gone, then problem is fixed. If "04sall-notepad"
    opens up again on startup, please reply back stating that.

Amol S., May 4, 2021
Thema:

Can't open notepad - FIX

1. Can't open notepad - FIX - Similar Threads - Can't open notepad

2. Can't use Notepad to open files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't use Notepad to open files: Notepad is installed, but I cannot manually open it without use of PowerShell or open files with it unless using the "Open" option from within the app itself....
  3. Can't use Notepad to open files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't use Notepad to open files: Notepad is installed, but I cannot manually open it without use of PowerShell or open files with it unless using the "Open" option from within the app itself....
  4. Can't open .txt files with notepad?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't open .txt files with notepad?: I recently installed VScode and it changed .txt files to open with it, but I wanted notepad back. I tried to go into the open with menu, but I was not there, so I click the "choose another app on this computer" button and selected notepad C:\Windows\System32\Notepad.exe, but...
  5. Can't open .txt files with notepad?

Can't open .txt files with notepad?: I recently installed VScode and it changed .txt files to open with it, but I wanted notepad back. I tried to go into the open with menu, but I was not there, so I click the "choose another app on this computer" button and selected notepad C:\Windows\System32\Notepad.exe, but...
  6. can't open notepad by using RUN command

in Windows 10 Gaming
    can't open notepad by using RUN command: notepad can't open when using RUN commandbut can open normally when use search on start menuSourceNotepad.exeSummaryStopped workingDate‎28/‎9/‎2565 9:50StatusReport sentDescriptionFaulting Application Path: C:\Program...
  7. can't open notepad by using RUN command

can't open notepad by using RUN command: notepad can't open when using RUN commandbut can open normally when use search on start menuSourceNotepad.exeSummaryStopped workingDate‎28/‎9/‎2565 9:50StatusReport sentDescriptionFaulting Application Path: C:\Program...
  8. open with notepad

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    open with notepad: when opening a GPX file I selected notepad and unintentionally clicked always open with this. I how do I undo this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/open-with-notepad/736714d7-c63b-4e76-a581-7568d00a2118"
  9. fix notepad

fix notepad: How do I fix notepad's next? to delete a server name. it is jammed up at using next to find next. name of server is for xbox networking. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/fix-notepad/03fccca4-8307-4455-9b7c-b9e233dabc68
  10. i can't get documents to open in notepad

i can't get documents to open in notepad: i can't get document to open with notepad. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-cant-get-documents-to-open-in-notepad/74cb47bc-0af2-43f0-b601-6ac5caf6bc57