Windows 10: Can't open PDFs, error 'Windows cannot find file'

Discus and support Can't open PDFs, error 'Windows cannot find file' in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; So, yesterday I was able to open PDFs like always no problem, but as of today the PDF file icon have changed and I also am no longer able to open them.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Leonie needs help, Jan 22, 2019.

1. Can't open PDFs, error 'Windows cannot find file'

So, yesterday I was able to open PDFs like always no problem, but as of today the PDF file icon have changed and I also am no longer able to open them. When I do, it comes up with the Windows error 'Windows cannot find [file directory here] . Make sure you've typed the name correctly and try again'

This is the case with any PDF I try to open on here now, and I haven't moved them but they can no longer open. Any ideas on why this might be and how I can sort this? Thanks.

Just additional information, Windows updated yesterday so that might have something to do with it? Dunno. My computers been a little strange recently, my start program menu also reset to the Windows default layout/programs and I don't know why.

:)

Leonie needs help, Jan 22, 2019

2. Trouble Opening PDF's

Hi Parker,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community. We will assist you in resolving the issue.

Before assisting further, I would like to ask you few questions:

• Does the issue persist in Edge browser?
    • Do you get similar error when you open the PDF file in Adobe reader?

Check if you are facing similar issue in Edge browser.

Step 1: Open PDF file in Adobe reader and check if you are facing similar issue.

To open PDF file directly from Adobe reader, follow the steps below:

• Open Adobe application and click on Edit.
    • Click on Preferences and select Internet.
    • Uncheck Display PDF in Browser option and check if you are able to open the PDF file without getting the error code.

Step 2: If you are able to open PDF file in Adobe reader, I suggest you to
    Turn off Internet Explorer,
    enable it again and check if the issue is resolved.

For further assistance, I suggest you to post your query in Adobe support forum.

Community: Acrobat Reader | Adobe Community

Thank you.

Likhitha V, Jan 22, 2019
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    opening pdf file

Hi Kieran,

Right click a PDF file, choose 'Open With' - Choose Another App

Important - Check the box marked 'Always use this app to open PDF . . .'

If Edge is not in the list, scroll to the bottom and click 'More Apps'

Does Edge appear in that list?

If Edge will not open a PDF file for you, what error are you seeing when you try to open a PDF in Edge?

DaveM121, Jan 22, 2019
  4. Can't open PDFs, error 'Windows cannot find file'

microsoft print to pdf files will not open after saving

We suggest that you save the PDF files on your device and check if the issue persists. You may also want to associate the PDF files to Microsoft Edge as the default program to make sure that you have a default application that will open all of your PDF files.
    Here are the steps:

• Search for Default Programs.
    • Go to Associate a file type or protocol with a program.
    • Select the .pdf file type and then click the Change program button on the upper right of the
      Set Associations window.
    • Choose Microsoft Edge and then click OK.
    Let us know how it goes.

Jamille Nar, Jan 22, 2019
Thema:

Can't open PDFs, error 'Windows cannot find file'

1. Can't open PDFs, error 'Windows cannot find file' - Similar Threads - Can't open PDFs

2. Updated to Windows 11 - now, can't open graphic files and PDFs

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Updated to Windows 11 - now, can't open graphic files and PDFs: Updated to Windows 11 - now, can't open graphic files and PDFs. Also, when I tried signing into my account, I was denied because the sign-in prompt wasn't recognizing my personal email address and was telling me I needed to sign in with a business account. When I purchased...
  3. Updated to Windows 11 - now, can't open graphic files and PDFs

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Updated to Windows 11 - now, can't open graphic files and PDFs: Updated to Windows 11 - now, can't open graphic files and PDFs. Also, when I tried signing into my account, I was denied because the sign-in prompt wasn't recognizing my personal email address and was telling me I needed to sign in with a business account. When I purchased...
  4. opening PDFs

in Windows 10 Gaming
    opening PDFs: Trying to open PDFs as normal but keep getting this pop-up on my screen “C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat DC\Acrobat\Acrobat.exe” “%1”. Does anyone know what is going on and how it can be fixed? Many thanks in advance...
  5. opening PDFs

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    opening PDFs: Trying to open PDFs as normal but keep getting this pop-up on my screen “C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat DC\Acrobat\Acrobat.exe” “%1”. Does anyone know what is going on and how it can be fixed? Many thanks in advance...
  6. opening PDFs

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  7. downloaded pdfs getting opened in jpg format and then can't open the file

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    downloaded pdfs getting opened in jpg format and then can't open the file: I wanted to save windows 10 spotlight pictures so to open them i had to make a command on powershell to convert the pictures to jpg format, so instead of clicking on the folder i had saved the pictures into I clicked on downloaded and now all my downloaded apps and pdfs are...
  8. Can't open pdfs in File Explorer [Event Finder ID: 10001]

Can't open pdfs in File Explorer [Event Finder ID: 10001]: If i try to open a pdf for example in downloads, this Error will appear:Despite the fact, that I just downloaded a correct pdf with its name being complete from the internet this error will appear for every pdf I downloaded in the past and recently.The error Message from the...
  9. Vault cannot open PDFs

Vault cannot open PDFs: I set up my Vault on a Samsung Android phone and added files. Then when I went to my PC to pull up the Vault, PDFs will not open. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/vault-cannot-open-pdfs/882d5ef7-df5e-42a5-943a-0e7b10589cac"
  10. Cannot open PDFs

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Cannot open PDFs: Received recent updates and now when I try to open a PDF, I get two error messages: [ATTACH] when I click OK, get this message [ATTACH] HOWEVER, when I forward PDF to my gmail account and open while in google/gmail, file opens OK, no error message. what's wrong?...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows cannot find pdf

2. Windows cannot find... pdf

3. windows cannot find pdf files