Windows 10: Can't open Photos, Paint 3D and JPG files

Discus and support Can't open Photos, Paint 3D and JPG files in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I have a friend who installed the latest Windows 10 update last week, but after installation she was missing all her data. I discovered that her... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by emr88, Apr 24, 2020.

1. emr88 Win User

Can't open Photos, Paint 3D and JPG files

I have a friend who installed the latest Windows 10 update last week, but after installation she was missing all her data. I discovered that her profile had become corrupt with the user profile set to a backup status, and each time she logged in she was using a temporary user profile. I deleted her the corrupt profile and created a new one. I copied all her files into the new user profile. Everything is working except for photos.

Any time she tries to open a JPG file, Windows says file system error -2147219196. What is also weird is that Paint 3D, which I have reset, uninstalled and installed multiple times, loads for a second but then disappears. I don't know what that error number means. Any ideas on how to resolve this so she can open photos again?

Side note: her Word, Excel, PowerPoint, PDF and all other file types work fine.

:)

emr88, Apr 24, 2020
  2. Thanatica Win User

Paint 3D cannot open STL files

Please update Paint 3D to be able to open STL files. View 3D *can* open them just fine.

When I open them in View 3D, and click the "Paint 3D" button, it gives this error message:

"We couldn't open Paint 3D. Wait a bit, then try again."

I did, and it keeps failing. So then, I manually go to Paint 3D, and open the file from there. In order to do that, I have to enter "*.*" as the filename, otherwise it won't pop up. The file types dropdown doesn't list STL files. But that's for good reason,
    apparently, because Paint 3D says:

"Paint 3D can't read this file. It may be invalid, or in a format that we don't currently support."

So, recap:

1) The file is completely valid, because View 3D can open it just fine

2) Why can Paint 3D not open a file, while View 3D can?

3) Please add this functionality to paint 3D. It's an industry standard file type for 3D models.

This is on Windows 10.0.15063.

Thanatica, Apr 24, 2020
  3. Lowering triangle amount on Paint 3D

Hi,

The option to increase or decrease the number of triangles/polygons in
    Paint 3D
    is a great idea. We suggest the you share your idea/feedback so that it will be considered in future updates of the app. Here are the steps to send a feedback:

• Open the Paint 3D app.
    • Click on Menu.
    • On the lower left portion, select Help and Feedback.
    • Press the Give feedback button under Give feedback.

Regards.

Rolando Vil, Apr 24, 2020
  4. Can't open Photos, Paint 3D and JPG files

Photos are opening with Paint instead of Photos app

Hello,

It's likely that your default application for opening photos is Paint. To change your default program in Windows 10 from
    Paint to the Photo app, we suggest that you perform the following steps:

• On the Start menu, select Settings.
    • Go to System, then go to Default apps.
    • Select Photos or any app that you like to be the default under
      Photo viewer.

Update us if the steps above helped you in resolving your concern.

Angela Pun, Apr 24, 2020
Thema:

Can't open Photos, Paint 3D and JPG files

1. Can't open Photos, Paint 3D and JPG files - Similar Threads - Can't open Photos

2. 3D paint files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    3D paint files: Hello all. I was wondering if anyone might be able to advise me. I am still using Windows 10 and I love using 3D paint as it is a great tool if you're into making game development art. I had several projects with MS 3D Paint. I never could locate my project files in fie...
  3. 3D paint files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    3D paint files: Hello all. I was wondering if anyone might be able to advise me. I am still using Windows 10 and I love using 3D paint as it is a great tool if you're into making game development art. I had several projects with MS 3D Paint. I never could locate my project files in fie...
  4. Can't open Paint 3D

Can't open Paint 3D: Dear Microsoft and People that see this questionI have a question because I can't open Paint 3D. When I click the app, the app simply vanished or closed automatically. Also when I open using Paint the normal one the pp closed itslef but the original Paint survived. Please...
  5. Paint 3D: Can't open project

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Paint 3D: Can't open project: Hello Windows Community, I was doing something in Paint 3D, when suddenly, my screen turns black and then goes back to normal. Paint 3D then had an error that said, "Paint 3D needs to close: Not sure what happened, but we're working on it." I tried finding answers to this...
  6. photos always open in Paint 3D

photos always open in Paint 3D: I had lots of pictures before I upgraded to Windows 10 and now have lots that I have since added. But if I want to go into Pictures, it automatically opens them in Paint 3D. I'm sure it is just a setting somewhere but I don't know how to fix that. Help please. W Lynn...
  7. Paint & Paint 3D Can't open HEIC files

Paint & Paint 3D Can't open HEIC files: Windows 10 Pro Build 18362. The HEIF Image Extensions show as 'This product is installed' when viewed from the Microsoft Store. When I double click on a HEIC image file I get [ATTACH] I've tried using both Paint and Paint 3D as the Default App for Image Viewing. The error...
  8. can't open jpg file

can't open jpg file: I am not able to open a jpeg/jpg file in win 10 system which I have bought earlier while I was doing the same with the win 7 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-open-jpg-file/e6289ee6-ced8-44c6-807c-cddbb70db2ec"
  9. can't open jpg files

in Windows 10 Support
    can't open jpg files: Hello i have sometimes the next problem :some of my hundrends pictures i have taken with mobile phone will not open with default windows 10 photo viewer or any third party program.All these pictures are opened correctly in the past and suddenly won't open.Appears the message...
  10. Can't open Paint 3D

Can't open Paint 3D: I can't open Paint 3D on my lap although i try to re-install it and the result this app still not working. Just display about 3 or 5 seconds and it close itself. Anyone else know how to fix this issues? Show me, pls... Thanks alot!!...