Windows 10: Can't open pictures from file explorer on Desktop - "We can't open this file"

Discus and support Can't open pictures from file explorer on Desktop - "We can't open this file" in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; [ATTACH] Hi, I've had this issue for a few months now which I think happened from a certain Windows 10 update but every time I try to open a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Nitropanel, Jul 30, 2020.

1. Can't open pictures from file explorer on Desktop - "We can't open this file"

Can't open pictures from file explorer on Desktop - "We can't open this file" E5Hhjf13i5T-dTwds78cvqFJSVh736UHzuVqchERBd8.jpg

Hi,

I've had this issue for a few months now which I think happened from a certain Windows 10 update but every time I try to open a picture on my desktop using file explorer I get this error:

https://preview.redd.it/oj335hw413e...bp&s=90b845327178a96832b7667e1fd10bf73398df3d

The thing is, I'm able to view the picture when opening it from the desktop instead of using file explorer and I'm able to see the thumbnail of the file too. I'm also able to use file explorer to open pictures in the downloads folder so I don't understand why it's only an issue on desktop.

My windows 10 build information:

https://preview.redd.it/ohnx5lit13e...bp&s=1d378a22e1652af8d2747dcd0d36d2111e761017

Any ideas on how I can fix this? It's a very annoying bug.

submitted by /u/Nitropanel
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Nitropanel, Jul 30, 2020
  2. Kensho Win User

"We can't open this file" message in File Explorer

This morning I attempted to view a few jpg's in File Explorer and found it generated this message: "We can't open this file"... I can't open any image any longer... It worked beautifully last night... I want to be able to continue to use File Explorer... I searched the net for a fix and found nothing... Can someone here please help me?

Kensho, Jul 30, 2020
  3. rplmpls Win User
    Microsoft Photo : We can't open this file

I keep my pictures, in "File Explore", in sub folders under "Pictures" rather than "Desktop".

I moved my sub folders to "Documents", as you did and I can open them ok.

When I move them back to "Pictures", I can't open them as before.

I would like to know why also.

rplmpls, Jul 30, 2020
  4. KindOfCat Win User

Can't open pictures from file explorer on Desktop - "We can't open this file"

Can't Open File Explorer on Windows 10

This suggestion didn't work. File Explorer appears to activate on my system, but it activates in a minimized state. No matter what I do, I cannot find a way to expand the File Explorer program. Now I don't have any way to access my files. I need to access
    my files, or find out if it is even possible to role back my operating system to Windows 8.1. Can you help restore access to my files?

If you can't help my access my File Explorer to have access to my files, can you provide instructions on how I can roll back to Windows 8.1 on my Microsoft Surface Pro 2?

KindOfCat, Jul 30, 2020
Thema:

Can't open pictures from file explorer on Desktop - "We can't open this file"

1. Can't open pictures from file explorer on Desktop - "We can't open this file" - Similar Threads - Can't open pictures

2. Can't open File Explorer folders

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't open File Explorer folders: Since 4 days I am unable to open File Explorer folders in my laptop , it is showing "Not Responding message", so what might be the issue , please resolve it. I contacted you two times, but no solution....
  3. Can't open File Explorer folders

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't open File Explorer folders: Since 4 days I am unable to open File Explorer folders in my laptop , it is showing "Not Responding message", so what might be the issue , please resolve it. I contacted you two times, but no solution....
  4. Can't open the file explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't open the file explorer: Anything related to file explorer doesn't work. For an example I can't save any files through Chrome or VS Code. When I try to save it automatically shuts down the program. When I click the "My PC" or File Explorer the screen goes black and comes again. But it works normal in...
  5. Can't open the file explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't open the file explorer: Anything related to file explorer doesn't work. For an example I can't save any files through Chrome or VS Code. When I try to save it automatically shuts down the program. When I click the "My PC" or File Explorer the screen goes black and comes again. But it works normal in...
  6. Can't open the file explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  7. can't open files from desktop

in Windows 10 Customization
    can't open files from desktop: I can't open any files I copy or save to my desktop. When I try to open them from the desktop, I receive the following message: "The directory name is invalid." Strangely, I CAN open these files from the desktop folder in the My Computer window, or if I open them from within...
  8. HEIC We can't open this file.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    HEIC We can't open this file.: To get the HEIF Image Extensions I went to https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/heif-image-extensions/9pmmsr1cgpwg?activetab=pivot:overviewtab > Get. Afterwards it said "This Product is Installed". When I clicked on an HEIC file it launched Photos, but gave the message,...
  9. Can't open file explorer

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't open file explorer: I have tried all methods on the Microsoft site but they did not work, are there any other methods? submitted by /u/That_British_Kid1509 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/e0zvwt/cant_open_file_explorer/
  10. "We can't open this file" message in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    "We can't open this file" message in File Explorer: This morning I attempted to view a few jpg's in File Explorer and found it generated this message: "We can't open this file"... I can't open any image any longer... It worked beautifully last night... I want to be able to continue to use File Explorer... I searched the net...