Windows 10: Can't open programs from the start menu

Discus and support Can't open programs from the start menu in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi, everyone. So this issue just started happening today. I am currently on the anniversary build and when I search for a program in the start menu and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Cmp21, Oct 1, 2016.

1. Cmp21 Win User

Can't open programs from the start menu

Hi, everyone. So this issue just started happening today. I am currently on the anniversary build and when I search for a program in the start menu and try to open it, it won't open. Things like run, Chrome, etc. all won't open. Basic windows apps such as the calculator seem to open just fine along with "check for updates" etc. I've tried sfc /scannow with no luck, running a malware scan, and everything is fine. For some reason my desktop notifications have also stopped working as well. I tried restarting my computer, but this hasn't worked either.

I tried booting into clean boot and safe mode as well, but it is still broken. When I created a new user account to test if it was working, I could use the start menu just fine and I was receiving notifications. On my main account it is still broken. I noticed that another person was having almost the same issue in this thread Programs Won't Open in Seach/Start Menu - Windows 10 Forums However, a restart doesn't work for me and it doesn't seem to happen on a timed interval. Is this a known issue with the current update? Thanks for the help in advance.

:)

Cmp21, Oct 1, 2016
  2. kb15241 Win User

Windows 10 Start Menu Programs Incorrect Location

I looked in both of those locations and the program in question was not listed in either place. In my start menu, when I click on it, it attempts to reinstall the program from the CD which I do not want to do. However, the same program has an icon on my
    task bar which, when clicked on, opens the program normally. I am using it this way for now but since the one on the start menu does not work, it would be nice to at least be able to remove it. I cannot as there is no way to remove it. The only thing I
    can do is unpin it from the start menu which takes the app icon off the large screen but the program remains in the list area. The only option it gives me there is to repin to start screen or uninstall. Nothing to remove it from the list.

What I can't understand is why the program functions properly from the task bar but not the start menu. Why can't I just copy that icon from the task bar to the start menu? Again, no option to do that. The only choices I get on that is to unpin from taskbar.

kb15241, Oct 1, 2016
  3. DDBrownDX Win User
    Can't run Powershell or cmd.exe as administrator

I have exact issue, but I don't have avast. Has anyone else found a fix that did not include Avast. This was sudden (March 9, 2018). I can't open Start Menu, can't run Task Mgr, can't run any programs from Win-X menu, can't get powershell to run elevator
    (nor can will cmd), and none of the native Settings programs run. Bizarre.

DDBrownDX, Oct 1, 2016
  4. Cmp21 Win User

Okay, well something weird just happened. Right after I posted this thread, I saw a flood of recently added items going through my start menu. I started opening programs that I couldn't run from the start menu before and all of a sudden everything was working fine again. Even the notifications started working properly as well. This is a very odd bug and it seemed to fix itself without a system restart. Hopefully this isn't a reoccurring issue. It would be nice if someone could report if this is a known issue though.

Cmp21, Oct 1, 2016
Thema:

1. Can't open programs from the start menu - Similar Threads - Can't open programs

2. Can't open programs through the start menu search anymore

in Cortana
    Can't open programs through the start menu search anymore: I suddenly can't open installed programs like Steam or Skype through the search bar in the start menu on Windows 10.I can use Win+R to run apps.The same issue was reported back in 2017 but none of the solutions there helped me.The folder mentioned in the solution there...
  3. Can't open programs through the start menu search anymore

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't open programs through the start menu search anymore: I suddenly can't open installed programs like Steam or Skype through the search bar in the start menu on Windows 10.I can use Win+R to run apps.The same issue was reported back in 2017 but none of the solutions there helped me.The folder mentioned in the solution there...
  4. Can't open programs through the start menu search anymore

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. There's a glitch when opening programs from the start menu.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    There's a glitch when opening programs from the start menu.: Windows Version: Windows 11 22H2When I press the Windows Key and type in an program for example Notepad and then try to start typing nothing happens, so I have to ALT + Tab to the window but then while I type while nothing is selected and the open the start menu again the...
  6. There's a glitch when opening programs from the start menu.

There's a glitch when opening programs from the start menu.: Windows Version: Windows 11 22H2When I press the Windows Key and type in an program for example Notepad and then try to start typing nothing happens, so I have to ALT + Tab to the window but then while I type while nothing is selected and the open the start menu again the...
  7. Multiple Monitors in 2020 Open Program from Start Menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    Multiple Monitors in 2020 Open Program from Start Menu: Its 2020 and most users use 2 or more monitors at home or work, however, it becomes frustrating when users cannot do the following 3 actions described below. I've read thru the different questions/answers and most moderators do not understand what the OP is asking or trying...
  8. Start Menu and Programs Won't Open

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start Menu and Programs Won't Open: Whenever I click on Start or press the Windows key the start menu won't open. Also, I can't use my search bar. Another problem is that most of my programs that I have installed won't open. For example, whenever I click on Word, Excel, or Powerpoint, it will show starting Word...
  9. Can't run programs as Admin from the start menu

Can't run programs as Admin from the start menu: [img] [img] After the 1709 update, i notice that i cannot do the above. anybody else experience this? It worked fine tho on my 1709 laptop. I tried running sfc /scannow , Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth , and Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth to see if...
  10. Can't open start menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't open start menu: I can't open my start menu and when I try to open some stuff. It happened a week ago when I was away from pc *Mad Screen capture - 4d26d594ea04bc174b8336a6835b92d8 - Gyazo P.s when my mouse is over the win button i am pressing. 20768