Windows 10: Can't open programs through the start menu search anymore

Discus and support Can't open programs through the start menu search anymore in Cortana to solve the problem; I suddenly can't open installed programs like Steam or Skype through the search bar in the start menu on Windows 10.I can use Win+R to run apps.The... Discussion in 'Cortana' started by Ori Adam, Jan 22, 2023.

1. Ori Adam Win User

Can't open programs through the start menu search anymore

I suddenly can't open installed programs like Steam or Skype through the search bar in the start menu on Windows 10.I can use Win+R to run apps.The same issue was reported back in 2017 but none of the solutions there helped me.The folder mentioned in the solution there doesn't exist on my computer: C:\Users\my user\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewynor any other folder with the word 'cortana' under AppData.It might be related to shutting down a service of cortana or something, but I don't know how to run cortana or the service manager now that i cannot run applica

:)

Ori Adam, Jan 22, 2023
  2. Shaffyxx Win User

I suddenly can't open installed programs like Steam or Skype through the search bar in the start menu on Windows 10.

I can open programs if I pin them to the start menu, or programs that appear on the alphabetical list and recently added list in the start menu, but if I search for a program manually in the search bar, and click on it, nothing will happen. It's just clickable,
    nothing else. I can open other stuff like music, folders, documents.

I changed the Windows' region from where I live to US, to check if I could login to Groove Music, since the Groove Music service isn't supported where I actually live. After that, I couldn't open programs through the search menu anymore, and it's something
    I do very often.

Naturally, I changed my region back to where I actually live after seeing this problem, but it still doesn't work for some reason. I tried logging out of the Microsoft store and restarting the computer, but that didn't do anything.

I can't think of anything else that could cause the problem, aside from installing a Windows update after changing my region to US, but I don't think the update was related to the region change, so it might be the region change that messed something up,
    or maybe it was something with the Windows update.

Shaffyxx, Jan 22, 2023
  3. mrc00l88 Win User
    Windows Search Not Opening Removed Start Menu Programs

Hi all, I have removed all unnecessary apps, etc from the Start Menu list - however there are Folders, for example, "Ease of Access" --- where once removed from the Start Menu folder list %appdata/programdata% --- the applications within the folder no longer work when calling on them in the Windows Search. They appear in the search results, but upon clicking them - nothing opens.

Example: Delete 'Ease of Access' from Start Menu Programs Folders %appdata/programdata% --- Click Windows Button, type in 'Narrator' (program within the 'Ease of Access' folder) and try to click it, doesn't open. Happens with all the programs within the Folders.

As soon as I put the Folders back in the Start Menu Programs Folders %appdata/programdata% - the search entries all function as usual.

I've tried rebuilding the search, adding the entire C drive to search index, nothing seems to be working.

Basically I'm looking to remove the 'Ease of Access' 'Windows Accessories' 'PowerShell' etc folders from the Start Menu list, but still be able to call the applications within them up thru the Windows Search and click to open.

Anyone have a fix?

mrc00l88, Jan 22, 2023
  4. Can't open programs through the start menu search anymore

Start Menu Search

Hi,

About your issue regarding the Start menu or Search, in order for us to assist you better. Please answer the question:

• Were there any recent changes made to your system prior to the issue?

In the meantime, we suggest you to check this link:
    Troubleshoot problems opening the Start menu or Cortana
    . It contains troubleshooting steps prior to the issue.

We'll look forward to your response.

Phillip Pio, Jan 22, 2023
Thema:

1. Can't open programs through the start menu search anymore - Similar Threads - Can't open programs

2. Can't open programs through the start menu search anymore

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't open programs through the start menu search anymore: I suddenly can't open installed programs like Steam or Skype through the search bar in the start menu on Windows 10.I can use Win+R to run apps.The same issue was reported back in 2017 but none of the solutions there helped me.The folder mentioned in the solution there...
  3. Can't open programs through the start menu search anymore

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't open programs through the start menu search anymore: I suddenly can't open installed programs like Steam or Skype through the search bar in the start menu on Windows 10.I can use Win+R to run apps.The same issue was reported back in 2017 but none of the solutions there helped me.The folder mentioned in the solution there...
  4. Windows Search Not Opening Removed Start Menu Programs

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows Search Not Opening Removed Start Menu Programs: Hi all, I have removed all unnecessary apps, etc from the Start Menu list - however there are Folders, for example, "Ease of Access" --- where once removed from the Start Menu folder list %appdata/programdata% --- the applications within the folder no longer work when calling...
  5. Can't use start menu to search for documents anymore?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can't use start menu to search for documents anymore?: Hello I accidentally removed the ability to search for documents using the start menu. I used to be able to do it, by just clicking the start button on the bottom left corner, and then typing in the file name, but now all I get are web results. Is there a fix for this? I...
  6. start menu search is not searching programs anymore after 2004 update

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    start menu search is not searching programs anymore after 2004 update: i use my start menu to find and open all of my programs, i just typed the name and hit enter. much faster than finding it on the desktop or in the start menu side bar. i just updated my pc to 2004 today and now no programs come up in search when i start typing from the start...
  7. Start menu delayed, can't search, can't open Cortana ?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Start menu delayed, can't search, can't open Cortana ?: Hello, When starting PC today my Start menu is delayed, can't search and can't open Cortana. Anyone have any idea what could cause this? I'm on latest 1909 update. submitted by /u/mambans [link] [comments]...
  8. Can't find programs using the start menu search

in Cortana
    Can't find programs using the start menu search: Recently I am no longer able to find any programs using the start menu search, it just gives me things like downloaded files. For example, I can't find the control panel by typing in "control panel"....
  9. Can't open programs from the start menu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't open programs from the start menu: Hi, everyone. So this issue just started happening today. I am currently on the anniversary build and when I search for a program in the start menu and try to open it, it won't open. Things like run, Chrome, etc. all won't open. Basic windows apps such as the calculator seem...
  10. Can't pin programs to Start menu anymore?

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't pin programs to Start menu anymore?: Win 10 64bit Build 10162 Not sure if I've done this in the course of hacking the registry but I can no longer pin anything to Start Menu by right clicking on an .exe in the File Explorer and choosing 'Pin to Start' from the context menu. I don't get an error message but...