Windows 10: Can't open programs?

Discus and support Can't open programs? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hello all. Yesterday, I was on my computer playing a game when the internet just cut out for whatever reason. Okay, fine. I reset my router, and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/iceman4457, Dec 5, 2020.

1. Can't open programs?

Hello all.

Yesterday, I was on my computer playing a game when the internet just cut out for whatever reason. Okay, fine. I reset my router, and waited for it to reboot. Aroudn that time, my computer had a notification that said "Shutdown happening in five minutes" or something to that extent. I have never seen that in five years of owning this computer. Five minutes pass, and the computer shuts down, presumably for an update? Okay, whatever. The computer started back up, but CRAWLED. It went SUPER slowly. Now, if I try to click anything on my desktop, the loading wheel spins and nothing happens. After some research I did the following:

1) it looked like there was another system update, so I installed it.

2) I ran "DISM.exe / Online / Cleanup-image /Restorehealth. It took a while, but ultimately said that the operation completed successfully.

3) I ran sfc /Scannow. After scanning, it said "Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired them."

I restarted my computer, and can open chrome/edge since they are pinned to my taskbar, but nothing else. On my desktop, both files and PDFs can be opened, but no programs can be ran. I want to pull my hair out it is so frustrating! Does anyone have any ideas?

submitted by /u/iceman4457
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/iceman4457, Dec 5, 2020

2. Why did the startup window get cleared?

I didn't missed any step, the list was gone and gone , even after using lot of programs the programs were not listed in that list.

smartali89, Dec 5, 2020
  3. Smeed Win User
  4. kormath Win User

Can't open programs?

Lost default photo viewer after profile rebuild

Thanks Brink. I've tried those steps before i started searching Google. After the profile rebuild i don't have the Photo app listed to choose to make it default in either the system settings for default apps or the Open With option.

I can't even find it doing a search. Seems to have been removed somehow with the profile rebuild, which doesn't make sense.

Might be helpful to list what i've done Can't open programs? :) I've done the open with check, the choose default program in the system menu, tried that in device manager default programs also. I've checked the programs and features Turn windows features on/off and it's not listed there (never thought it was but that was a suggestion), searched the MS Store, it's not listed there either.

I don't like playing in the registry unless i have defined steps and haven't found anything for this yet, just the Win7 version like in my OP.

kormath, Dec 5, 2020
Thema:

Can't open programs?

1. Can't open programs? - Similar Threads - Can't open programs

2. Can't open specific program or uninstall it.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't open specific program or uninstall it.: I can't open some of program such as Steam, IDM, or install any program that just download. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-open-specific-program-or-uninstall-it/5a6ffeca-30e6-436a-8726-bc3bae545c54
  3. Can't open specific program or uninstall it.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Can't open specific program or uninstall it.: I can't open some of program such as Steam, IDM, or install any program that just download. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-open-specific-program-or-uninstall-it/5a6ffeca-30e6-436a-8726-bc3bae545c54
  4. Windows 10 can't open programs

Windows 10 can't open programs: I've reinstalled windows twice already, it works about a week and then just stops opening programs. I've tried a bunch of solutions, none have worked for me so far, when I try sfc /scannow it says windows resource protection could not start repair service. I also get an error...
  5. Can't open program, neither uninstall it!

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can't open program, neither uninstall it!: I have a Lenovo Legion Y720. Without doing anything out of the ordanary, Lenovo's Nerve Sense didn't wan't to open. I tried uninstalling it, but nothing really happens. The uninstaller remains in one place and never gets to remove the program. Every single form I go on with...
  6. Can't open any program as administrator

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can't open any program as administrator: I am tryning to run cmd, powershell, etc as administrator, but showing error "The specified service does not exist as an installed service.". I also can't intall any applications. What should I do now?...
  7. Can't open midi programs

in Cortana
    Can't open midi programs: I have several new Jammer 4 Midi Arrangement Software Copies. They are less than 7 MB in size. Contains only MIDI - no audio. Windows 10 could not upgrade because of this program. I uninstalled it, but now Windows is not recognising it. There must be a driver or something to...
  8. I can't open any program

I can't open any program: Hi! My name is Beltrán. Today my laptop just got a windows update and, when I turned it on after finishing installing the update, it worked just fine. The problem appeared like 1 or 2 minutes later. I wanted to open Chrome but, when I pressed on the icon, it wouldn't open...
  9. I can't open a program

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I can't open a program: Hey, The setup program (.exe) of Lightshot is on my C drive. I relocated my program files from my C to my D drive not too long ago, throught the regedit. But when I continued the installation through the setup program, it downloaded lightshot on my C drive. Whenever I...
  10. Can't open to screen an open program

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can't open to screen an open program: Using Windows 10, I have multiple screens setup (2 additional) to my laptop. I have a program that I have a shortcut on the taskbar for and have opened the program from that shortcut. When I hit ALT/TAB I can see the program is open, but when I select it, it doesn't display...