Windows 10: Can't open searched Outlook messages

Discus and support Can't open searched Outlook messages in Cortana to solve the problem; Win 10 Office 2016 - when I search a content which appears in emails initially i see a message "No items match your search". However, when I click "See... Discussion in 'Cortana' started by RonyLaor, Mar 28, 2020.

1. RonyLaor Win User

Can't open searched Outlook messages

Win 10 Office 2016 - when I search a content which appears in emails initially i see a message "No items match your search". However, when I click "See more results" I do get the full list of messages containing the searched items, however clicking on the message itself does nothing. It does not open outlook. The Open menu in the search results window is empty and does not show any application. I've checked and Outlook is associated with .msg file type.

I have reinstalled office and rebuilt the indexes. Didn't help.

How can I make outlook open the retrieved message ?

:)

RonyLaor, Mar 28, 2020
  2. Silverel Win User

outlook opens word?

Yes it does. *Smile Can't open searched Outlook messages :) Outlook uses word for message composition.

Silverel, Mar 28, 2020
  3. kls17 Win User
    After windows 10 update search in outlook 2013 never completes

I've run into what I think is this same issue, although I'm not completely certain that it coincides with a Windows 10 update. I set up a user on a new Windows 10 Pro box, with Outlook 2013, and he found he was unable to search his PST files. We went through the whole standard list of troubleshooting search indexing options, including rebuilding the entire search index, without success. I also copied his PSTs to another system, and ran into the same issue, which eliminates disk errors, registry junk, and things unique to his machine. What finally worked for me were these steps:

1.In Outlook, go to Options -> Search -> indexing options -> Modify
    2. Uncheck "outlook" and the folder under your user where your PST files are located
    3. Close Outlook
    4. Give it a few minutes for processes to exit
    5. Restart Outlook
    6. Go to Options -> Search -> indexing options -> Modify
    7. Check the items you unchecked in step 2
    8. Select something in your PST file and click search to bring up the search window
    9. Select Advanced Find from the Search Tools pulldown
    10. Perform your search.

After this I was able to search again using the quick search option at the top of the message list pane.

I suspect this toggled some internal switch in Outlook which the index rebuild didn't touch.

kls17, Mar 28, 2020
  4. Sigurd Win User

Opening a .MSG file created by Outlook 365

Because the apps I had tried and the one I had installed, appeared on the list of possible Apps in the list for opening MSG files, I thought that repairing Outlook might work. So I tried the repair option as Sheltieuk had suggested. When I then tried Start – Defaults afterwards and looked to see what was available to open MSG files, Outlook had appeared on the list! Selected that and it worked.

For once I have posed not only a question but an answer!!

Sigurd, Mar 28, 2020
Thema:

1. Can't open searched Outlook messages - Similar Threads - Can't open searched

2. MP4 won't open from outlook message.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    MP4 won't open from outlook message.: When I try to open an MP4 in outlook from an email has been sent to me, absolutely nothing happens. it's like I didn't even double click it. If I right, click and select often, the same thing. When I drag it into a folder on my computer and try to open, it works perfectly....
  3. MP4 won't open from outlook message.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    MP4 won't open from outlook message.: When I try to open an MP4 in outlook from an email has been sent to me, absolutely nothing happens. it's like I didn't even double click it. If I right, click and select often, the same thing. When I drag it into a folder on my computer and try to open, it works perfectly....
  4. Outlook Client can't send gmail messages from @outlook

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Outlook Client can't send gmail messages from @outlook: This is kind of confusing to explain, and because of that I can't find anything online about it. Years ago I forwarded my gmail account to an outlook account and then I could set the @gmail.com address as the default "from" email address when using outlook, both online and...
  5. Can't open windows outlook

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Can't open windows outlook: Unable to open outlook.com, please see the attached. 144863
  6. Outlook Search

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Outlook Search: How do I turn on windows search in outlook? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/outlook-search/63fe55d4-1c1b-46d3-8df8-f6ea5b19ec87
  7. I can't open Outlook

in Windows 10 Customization
    I can't open Outlook: When I try to open outlook it says my profile is missing some information but I don't know where my profile is. can you help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-cant-open-outlook/da1bf6b1-f70c-4bc5-afe1-ddbb66a705fa
  8. Can't open links in Outlook 2013

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't open links in Outlook 2013: I followed some previous instructions on this topic, but no change. I didn't buy Office. Apparently, some of it came with Windows 10 or is part of my stand-alone Outlook 2013 that I purchased years ago. I was instructed to uninstall Office 15 and then reinstall....
  9. Can't open links in Outlook 2013

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't open links in Outlook 2013: Dear Sumit. I don't know what caused the problem, but since about 2 hours ago, I haven't been able to open any links in my email. I get the message that "Your organization's policies are preventing us from completing the action you requested". I've tried some of the...
  10. Outlook: can't view newer messages

in Browsers and Email
    Outlook: can't view newer messages: My wife updated her Outlook and now she can't see newer unread messages in her POP3 account inbox. If I send a test email, I can search and sure enough the email is there. But when we get out of search and just go back to her inbox the newest email is about a week old. She...