Windows 10: Can't open Settings after installing The October Update

Discus and support Can't open Settings after installing The October Update in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Uploaded The October Update 1809. Pressed on the Reset button(which is near the Power button). The Update was installed, but The Settings are broken.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Spyteamalex, Oct 5, 2018.

1. Can't open Settings after installing The October Update

Uploaded The October Update 1809. Pressed on the Reset button(which is near the Power button). The Update was installed, but The Settings are broken. It starts & crashes without any message. Also The Notification bar buttons aren't clickable.

:)

Spyteamalex, Oct 5, 2018
  2. rtwjunkie Win User

geforce experience takes an age to load..

Well that's why I asked. Mine is on SSD and takes 11 seconds. Your list of games will not appear if it has not checkd for updated suggested settings for awhile until it checks.

When it says it is refreshing the game list, it is checking, because NVIDIA periodically updates suggested settings. Plus it will look for those for new games you have installed.

So, the less it is run, the slower it will be.

rtwjunkie, Oct 5, 2018
  3. AsRock Win User
    Windows Updates failed to instal

I'm not sure how differant XP media center Edition is but you could clear the history \ cache if these folders are there.

Step 1 Register DLL files.

=================

By trying this step, we can check if the update engines are working properly.

1. Close all instances of Internet Explorer.

2. Click Start and Run, type "Regsvr32 atl.dll" (without quotes) in the Open box and click OK.

Note: There is a space between regsvr32 and atl.dll

3. Similarly, one by one, register the files listed below:

Regsvr32 msxml3.dll

Regsvr32 wuapi.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll

Regsvr32 wups2.dll

Regsvr32 wucltui.dll

Regsvr32 wups.dll

Regsvr32 wuweb.dll

Regsvr32 qmgr.dll

Regsvr32 qmgrprxy.dll

Regsvr32 jscript.dll

Note: If you encounter errors while registering any of these files then skip that file and continue with the next one.

If the issue persists, let's move on to the steps below to verify Windows Update services and temporary folders.

Step 2 Verify the relevant Windows Update services.

=========================================

1. Click Start->Run, type "services.msc" (without quotation marks) in the open box and click OK.

2. Double click the service "Automatic Updates".

3. Click on the Log On tab, please ensure the option "Local System account" is selected and the option "Allow service to interact with desktop" is unchecked.

4. Check if this service has been enabled on the listed Hardware Profile. If not, please click the Enable button to enable it.

5. Click on the tab "General "; make sure the "Startup Type" is "Automatic" or "Manual". Then please click the button "Stop" under "Service Status" to stop the service.

6. Then please click the button "Start" under "Service Status" to start the service.

7. Please repeat the above steps with the other services:

Background Intelligent Transfer Service

Event Log

Remote Procedure Call (RPC)

Note: Event log service is enabled on all of the hardware profiles; this service does not have an option to enable or disable on certain hardware profile.

If it still does not help, let's proceed to step 3.

Step 3 Reload the Update temporary folders.

===================================

One possible cause is that the temporary folder for Windows Update is containing corrupted files. Let's erase all the files there to get the system clean.

1. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net stop WuAuServ

2. Click Start, Run, type: %windir% and press Enter.

3. In the opened folder, rename the folder SoftwareDistribution to Sdold.

4. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net start WuAuServ

Please test the Windows Update website and let me know the result. If the issue persists, to clarify the issue and provide more accurate troubleshooting steps, please assist me in collecting the following information.

AsRock, Oct 5, 2018
  4. niko084 Win User

Can't open Settings after installing The October Update

Insurgency wont install and run for me....

I have played and have fully updated CS and Half life 2....
    I am using the newest client and installed the SDK.

I am completely blown away, if i click the desktop icon it starts the sdk and then closes, and it doesn't show up in my game list...

First mod attempt install here, followed the directions step by step on the mods website...

Any ideas?

niko084, Oct 5, 2018
Thema:

Can't open Settings after installing The October Update

1. Can't open Settings after installing The October Update - Similar Threads - Can't open Settings

2. Can’t Install Windows after October 20 update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can’t Install Windows after October 20 update: After the October 20th update, i needed to reinstall Windows via my USB thumb drive. I saw that during installation Windows was not seeing my 250GB SSD or my SATA 1TB. The Bios showed them both as active. I ran the utility that came with the PC which showed no problems. I’m...
  3. Can't control the brightness after October 2018 update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can't control the brightness after October 2018 update: Hi there! I bought my Asus laptop just recently and it came with Windows 10 preinstalled. It worked just fine until I did an update a couple days ago. So here is the problem - after I start using my laptop everything works perfectly, but after a certain amount of time all...
  4. Settings not opening in Windows 10 October Update

in Windows 10 Customization
    Settings not opening in Windows 10 October Update: Hi, First of all, Happy New Year everyone. I run Windows 10 64-bit version 1809 and my Settings only open in one way, namely when I click on the little speech balloon on the bottom right and select "Settings" there. Clicking on Settings from the Start Menu or even the...
  5. Windows Settings not opening after update to 1809 (October update)

Windows Settings not opening after update to 1809 (October update): Windows Setting will not open after I completed the latest Windows 10 update. How can this be repaired? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-settings-not-opening-after-update-to-1809/4fd8ded1-c433-4413-af60-90be7eece4fa
  6. Can't add japanese keyboard after October's update

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Can't add japanese keyboard after October's update: I already installed the japanese language package from the microsoft store, so I select the japanese keyboard IME and whenever I try to choose hiragana it doesn't do anything....
  7. Personalized setting (not responding) after installing October 9 cumulative updates

Personalized setting (not responding) after installing October 9 cumulative updates: How do I recover Personalized setting (not responding) after installing October 9 cumulative updates? HELP!!! This happens when there is a large update....
  8. Can't open Settings after installing The October Update

Can't open Settings after installing The October Update: Uploaded The October Update 1809. Pressed on the Reset button(which is near the Power button). The Update was installed, but The Settings are broken. It starts & crashes without any message. Also The Notification bar buttons aren't clickable....
  9. Windows 10 Update 1809 (October Update) Settings not opening

Windows 10 Update 1809 (October Update) Settings not opening: Hi community! Yesterday, I'm updated my Windows to 1809 version. After update, everything works fine, except setting. I mean, it's turning on, but closes. When I right click on desktop and click to change screen resolution, i got this error: ms-settings:display. Any solution?...
  10. Can't open Settings (Windows Update)

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Can't open Settings (Windows Update): Everything went well on the Win10 installation, but the only problem is that when I go to access the settings tab in the start menu, it just flashes briefly like it tries to open the settings window, and then disappears, so I can't access anything in the settings. No update...