Windows 10: Can't open some JPGs with Windows Photos app "We can't open this file"

Discus and support Can't open some JPGs with Windows Photos app "We can't open this file" in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; One have one client who can't open JPGs with Windows Photos, in certain circumstances. Her Windows/program/files are OK because I can transfer the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Teky Jeff, Dec 29, 2018.

1. Teky Jeff Win User

Can't open some JPGs with Windows Photos app "We can't open this file"

One have one client who can't open JPGs with Windows Photos, in certain circumstances.

Her Windows/program/files are OK because
    • I can transfer the same JPGs to my PC and they open
    • I can open the same JPGs if I navigate/open from within the Photos app
    • I can open the same JPGs if I navigate right from "C:" to "Users" to <username> to "Documents" to "Etsy" to "Threads" to "NEW STORE" to "1" (where the photos exist)
    • I can open the same JPGs if I use a shortcut to go to the above folder, jump up one or more folders, then go back down into that folder before opening
    • I consistently cannot open the same JPGs if I use a shortcut (like Quick access) to go straight into the above folder and try to open the same JPGs ... I get the "We can't open this file" error.
    I have tried repairing/reloading the Apps store, running CHKDSK / SFC / DISM, and repairing file/folder permissions.

I solve Windows mysteries all day every day, but I can't seem to fix this one.

:)

Teky Jeff, Dec 29, 2018
  2. RogerF51 Win User

Can`t open Photo app

Original title: Can`t open App

When I try to open photos app, It comes up check windows store, when I check windows store, It comes up this app can`t open, it driving me bonkers

RogerF51, Dec 29, 2018
  3. Helen.D. Win User
    Can´t open files

Can´t open file. Error code: -2147023143.

When trying to open file (mp3, avi, jpg, pdf, doc) via Total Commander, there is Error:

There are no more endpoints available from the endpoint mapper. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800706D9).

The only way how I can see photos captured by my phone is through app Photos. I cannot see new photos via application Photos, until I power off and switch on my phone.

When I try to open file via app Files:

Can´t complete Can´t open file abcxyz.mp3. Error code: -2147023143. You can mention this code when providing feedback.

The only possibility how I can open mp3 on my phone is through app Music+videos, which is not practical at all, because it does not allow showing mp3 in files. Instead it divides them into artists, albums, songs, genres, playlists.

It is not possible to open attachments in e-mail:

Can´t open attachement. Ooops! We´re not sure what´s wrong, but we can´t open this file.

When I want to backup my stuff to the cloud, so that I could reset the phone afterwards:

There was a problem backing up your settings. Try again later.

Microsoft Lumia 535 Dual SIM

Helen.D., Dec 29, 2018
  4. Can't open some JPGs with Windows Photos app "We can't open this file"

unable to open jpg in windows 10 "we can't open this file"

Hello,

There are several ways to open an image file in Windows 10. If a photo cannot be viewed using the
    Photo App, we suggest opening it using a different app. The steps below will help you
    set Photo Viewer as your default image viewer:

• Press Windows Key + S and enter default programs. Select
      Default Programs
      from the list.
    • Select Set your default programs.
    • Select Windows Photo Viewer and click the Set this program as default.
    • Click OK to save changes.

After setting Photo Viewer as your default image viewer, open those
    .JPG files and see if the issue still occurs.

Should you have further questions, feel free to post them on this thread.

Jefferson Ore, Dec 29, 2018
Thema:

Can't open some JPGs with Windows Photos app "We can't open this file"

1. Can't open some JPGs with Windows Photos app "We can't open this file" - Similar Threads - Can't open JPGs

2. Can't open the Photo app

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't open the Photo app: Every time I try to open an image using the Photo app, an error message that reads, "file system error (-2147219196)" shows up. I've tried reinstalling the photo apps, but it didn't work. I've also had the same problem with the Movies&TV app. Can somebody tell me what's...
  3. Can't open pictures from file explorer on Desktop - "We can't open this file"

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't open pictures from file explorer on Desktop - "We can't open this file": [ATTACH] Hi, I've had this issue for a few months now which I think happened from a certain Windows 10 update but every time I try to open a picture on my desktop using file explorer I get this error:...
  4. Win 10 photos : "we can't open this file"

in Windows 10 Support
    Win 10 photos : "we can't open this file": I have a strange issue with a particular animated gif file. Windows photo can play other animated gifs just fine, but for some reason, it cannot play this one. The file is NOT corrupt, i can open it just fine if i use firefox or another browser for example. But for some...
  5. Win 10 photos : "we can't open this file"

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Win 10 photos : "we can't open this file": I have a strange issue with a particular animated gif file. Windows photo can play other animated gifs just fine, but for some reason, it cannot play this one. The file is NOT corrupt, i can open it just fine if i use firefox or another browser for example. But for some...
  6. HEIC We can't open this file.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    HEIC We can't open this file.: To get the HEIF Image Extensions I went to https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/heif-image-extensions/9pmmsr1cgpwg?activetab=pivot:overviewtab > Get. Afterwards it said "This Product is Installed". When I clicked on an HEIC file it launched Photos, but gave the message,...
  7. Microsoft Photo : We can't open this file

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microsoft Photo : We can't open this file: Hello, I am hoping that someone might have experienced this issue and have a resolve for it. In Windows 10 I use the Microsoft photos to view and edit pictures, today I got this message " We can't open this file" it is jpg file …I've been using it for a couple of years now...
  8. Can't open some files in Documents

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't open some files in Documents: I think I have made a mess. I had a file called "password" in my document file, it was a "read only" file. There was another file called "passwords" out there too. It was not marked "read only" I have no idea how to make it not "read only" so I just renamed it. Now none of...
  9. Can't open photo's

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't open photo's: when I try and open a photo it says "you can not open this without admin" or something like that I am admin though please help I also have no other accounts 49899
  10. "We can't open this file" on JPG photos Windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    "We can't open this file" on JPG photos Windows 10: I'm in a bit of a panic. I can't open 90% of my JPG photos. I have changed my default program to Photos, and downloaded a Reg Fix that seems to have helped others with the same issue. Still no change. When I go into the properties of a photo that cannot be displayed, all the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. microsoft photos 2019 We cant open this file