Windows 10: Can't open start menu after updating to 1151

Discus and support Can't open start menu after updating to 1151 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; So I got the 1151 update today. After the update, I could not open the Start menu. Code: SFC /scannow[/quote] says that there are corrupt files that... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by frejoh466, Jun 3, 2016.

1. frejoh466 Win User

Can't open start menu after updating to 1151

So I got the 1151 update today. After the update, I could not open the Start menu. Code: SFC /scannow[/quote] says that there are corrupt files that it can not fix. I found out that I should run Code: DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /source:WIM:E:\Sources\Install.wim:1 /LimitAccess[/quote] So I plug in my win10 USB and ran the command in PowerShell as admin, and I get that it can not find the file, I moved Install.wim to C:\ same thing. So then I tried to download the .iso file with Media create tool, it gives me the same error.

I have searched around all day and the only response that I find is to use the Install.wim file, which the computer refuses to find.

The error I get with powershell,

Code: PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /source:WIM:F:\Install.wim:1 /LimitAccess Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool Version: 10.0.10586.0 Image Version: 10.0.10586.0 [==========================100.0%==========================] Error: 0x800f081f The source files could not be found. Use the "Source" option to specify the location of the files that are required to restore the feature. For more information on specifying a source location, see Configure a Windows Repair Source. The DISM log file can be found at C:\WINDOWS\Logs\DISM\dism.log[/quote] dism.log file dism - Pastebin.com

:)

frejoh466, Jun 3, 2016

2. Critical error start button doesn't work

After Version 1151 (OS Build 10586.164) nothing is working...not cortana, not my start menu, not action center. ****, I can't even open my system settings to try some of the suggested fixes bs my start menu and search don't work.! I know I'm running
    version 1151, but when I try to check it per the above link, typing "ms-settings" I get an error message telling me Windows can't find "ms-settings." This last update was useless.

Deadhead312, Jun 3, 2016
  3. atalenezi Win User
    Cannot upgrade Windows 10 to version 1151

I am trying to upgrade to version 1151 (currently running Windows 10 Pro 64-bit v. 10240). In Update and Security, it says it requires a restart, so I opened the start menu, clicked on Power, then Update and Restart, but my PC only restarts normally without
    updating. I tried the Restart Now button in Update and Security, it also restarts normally without updating.

It may be worth mentioning that there is another update called Update for Windows 10 for x64-based Systems, and it is waiting for a download, could it be the reason I can't upgrade to version 1151?

atalenezi, Jun 3, 2016
  4. davidhk Win User

Use the following command line instead and run it in elevated command prompt :

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:esd:E:\sources\install.esd:1 /limitaccess

Reason :
    You used a dism command line which requires Install.wim file.
    DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /source:WIM:E:\Sources\Install.wim:1 /LimitAccess

However, your iso file has Install.esd file instead.
    That is why you received " Source files could not be found " error message.

davidhk, Jun 3, 2016
  5. frejoh466 Win User
    I have both install.wim and install.esd files. install.wim on my boot USB and install .esd on the win10.ISO

Code: PS F:\> Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:esd:G:\sources\install.esd:1 /limitaccess Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool Version: 10.0.10586.0 Image Version: 10.0.10586.0 [==========================100.0%==========================] Error: 0x800f081f The source files could not be found. Use the "Source" option to specify the location of the files that are required to restore the feature. For more information on specifying a source location, see Configure a Windows Repair Source. The DISM log file can be found at C:\WINDOWS\Logs\DISM\dism.log[/quote] I tried alot of different DISM commands, and when I was looking around and found that some people had success with a script, but the links I found for the script went to a dropbox folder where the file no longer exist, don't know if it became obsolete or stopped working. The post where from around end of 2015.

frejoh466, Jun 3, 2016
  6. davidhk Win User
    You started with .............Source:esd:E: > then C > and now G.

May I ask if you are using the correct drive letter ?
    The drive letter must be the same one the iso file is mounted on.

davidhk, Jun 3, 2016
  7. davidhk Win User
    Why don't we start it over from scratch ?
    Disregard what has been transpired.

Please use the Tech bench link below and download your version of Windows 10 iso file.
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...load/techbench

Once you have the iso downloaded, right click at the ISO > click Mount > leave it there.

Then open the elevated command prompt and copy and paste this................

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:wim:H:\sources\install.wim:1 /limitaccess

Note : H is the drive where the iso is mounted. Change it if your driver letter is different.

When it is completed, you should get the report that the operation is successful.
    Now run the sfc /scannow again. It should be ok this time.

davidhk, Jun 4, 2016
  8. frejoh466 Win User

In F:\ I have
    Install.wim, that I extracted from my boot usb that I used when I first installed Win10
    Windows.iso, that I downloaded from the windows media creation tool yesterday, (has the .esd file)
    Win10_1511_2_English_x64.iso, that I got with the techbench link above. (has the .wim file)

I mount the .iso files in G:\ so my command becomes
    Code: Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:wim:G:\sources\install.wim:1 /limitaccess[/quote] with the Win10_1511_2_English_x64.iso I just downloaded.

I'm using powershell that is in C:\WINDOWS\system32 and run it as admin.
    Code: PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:wim:G:\sources\install.wim:1 /limitaccess Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool Version: 10.0.10586.0 Image Version: 10.0.10586.0 [==========================100.0%==========================] Error: 0x800f081f The source files could not be found. Use the "Source" option to specify the location of the files that are required to restore the feature. For more information on specifying a source location, see Configure a Windows Repair Source. The DISM log file can be found at C:\WINDOWS\Logs\DISM\dism.log[/quote]
    Edit:
    I found Start menu troubleshooter at Troubleshoot problems opening the Start menu or Cortana - Windows Help, ran that, twice, and now it works, sfc /scannow gives me no errors too.

frejoh466, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Can't open start menu after updating to 1151 - Similar Threads - Can't open start

2. Start Menu is not opening

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Start Menu is not opening: The start menu is not opening using the mouse by clicking on the windows logo in the taskbar nor the keyboard on my windows 11 system. I have restarted my laptop multiple times but the same issue occurs. Because of this, I am unable to access the search function also, neither...
  3. Start Menu is not opening

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Start Menu is not opening: The start menu is not opening using the mouse by clicking on the windows logo in the taskbar nor the keyboard on my windows 11 system. I have restarted my laptop multiple times but the same issue occurs. Because of this, I am unable to access the search function also, neither...
  4. I can't open start up menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    I can't open start up menu: Hello, can someone help me I can't open windows start up menu and other apps that is displayed in the task bar, I can open those in desktop like Chrome and microsoft edge, in the taskbar there are apps I can't open and the icon is invisible and when I tap them it says class...
  5. Can't open start menu in windows 10

Can't open start menu in windows 10: After upgrading to windows 10, I can't open start menu everything else is working superfine, but the start menu doesn't work even if pressing the Windows button on keyboard or start button on the Windows taskbar...
  6. Start Menu tiles no longer transparent border after Win10 build 1151

Start Menu tiles no longer transparent border after Win10 build 1151: After updating Windows 10 Pro to Fall Update 1151 (10586.71), I noticed my start menu tiles - that used to be transparent - now have the colored tile borders around them. While they change when you change the accent colors in Windows, I liked the transparency, as they once...
  7. Can't open programs from the start menu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't open programs from the start menu: Hi, everyone. So this issue just started happening today. I am currently on the anniversary build and when I search for a program in the start menu and try to open it, it won't open. Things like run, Chrome, etc. all won't open. Basic windows apps such as the calculator seem...
  8. Can't open start menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't open start menu: I can't open my start menu and when I try to open some stuff. It happened a week ago when I was away from pc *Mad Screen capture - 4d26d594ea04bc174b8336a6835b92d8 - Gyazo P.s when my mouse is over the win button i am pressing. 20768
  9. Start Menu not opening

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu not opening: Trying to resolve this issue for a couple of days where the start menu doesn't open when its clicked on. I have seen other posts with this issue where its an issue with personalization settings under ms-settings. I am unable to open Ms-settings because I receive the error...
  10. Can't open settings + start menu not opening

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't open settings + start menu not opening: Having issues opening my start menu/settings. Cannot use hotkeys to open them nor cmd prompts. Can still run task manager but I am having issues resolving this problem. I have tried creating a new user and switching to that account but no dice. Any help would be immensely...