Windows 10: Can't Open Start menu or Settings tried everything

Discus and support Can't Open Start menu or Settings tried everything in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; When I started my PC today I couldn't use the start menu and the toolbar wouldn't disappear in full screen videos also i tried to open settings it say... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by freddieayres, Mar 15, 2019.

1. Can't Open Start menu or Settings tried everything

When I started my PC today I couldn't use the start menu and the toolbar wouldn't disappear in full screen videos also i tried to open settings it say that the settings don't exsist I have tried all the solutions I could find including on other discussion so what should I do?

:)

freddieayres, Mar 15, 2019
  2. Paolo Mag Win User

Start menu and settings both wont open.

Hello Robert,

As per the description of the issue, you are unable to open both Windows Settings and Start menu. For us to resolve this issue, we suggest that you perform troubleshooting. Here's an

article
    that you can go to. In here, you'll see solutions to resolve Start menu issues.

To resolve Windows Settings issue, kindly follow the steps listed below:

• Boot into Safe Mode.
    • Open a command prompt windows.
    • Type sfc/scannow, and then hit Enter.
    • Once it's finished, restart the computer to check if the issue still persists.

If the issue still persists after doing the steps above, kindly refer to this
    link
    for further troubleshooting.

Let us know if the resolution provided works.

Paolo Mag, Mar 15, 2019
  3. angus Win User
    Settings can't be opened using the built-in administrator account

Hello,
    Unfortunately I have the same issue as Dabz from upgrading win7 to win10.
    I've tried opening settings using all the suggested methods and it will not load using my account with Administrator access nor the built-in Administrator profile. I also tried other methods not listed such as using Run. Control panel is just a stepping stone to add users in Settings.
    I'm also having explorer.exe issues, which I believe is preventing Settings from loading.
    Using cmd (Admin) I successfully created a new user profile [and granted admin access also using cmd (Admin)], however win10 will not allow this account to log on. win10 does not list this new user within control panel but it does in the start menu. win10 will not allow to log in or switch to the new account via the start menu either.
    I can access settings in Safe Mode but this will not allow me to create a new account.
    Any help/suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
    Cheers

angus, Mar 15, 2019
  4. Can't Open Start menu or Settings tried everything

Windows 10 Start Menu won't open.

Hi Dougie,

Corrupted system files could be one of the reason why Start Menu is not opening.

As an initial troubleshooting, we suggest following the steps listed in this article:
    Troubleshoot problems with the Start menu or Cortana
    see if it helps resolve the issue.

Update us with the outcome so we can provide further assistance.

Ronalene Mat, Mar 15, 2019
Thema:

Can't Open Start menu or Settings tried everything

1. Can't Open Start menu or Settings tried everything - Similar Threads - Can't Open Start

2. Start menu and settings does not open

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start menu and settings does not open: I tried sfc /scannow Tried dism online health restoretried the powershell get restore commanddid a disk check, but none of this resolved the start menu error....
  3. Settings/start menu wont open

in Windows 10 Support
    Settings/start menu wont open: Hey new guy here my settings/start/volume/notifications wont open and apps wont open I've tried rebooting my windows explorer and didn't do anything my calculator app won't open either. I've been having alot of trouble with my account because my settings won't sync because it...
  4. Start menu and settings now opening

Start menu and settings now opening: My windows 10 settings will not open. It will just close and my start menu will not open. It will ask me to sign out. I had this problem before, but not at the same time....
  5. "Settings" not opening in Windows 10. Tried everything.

"Settings" not opening in Windows 10. Tried everything.: I just updated my Windows 8.1 to Windows 10. When i updated it, setting wont open. The screen will pop up for a second then disappears before i can do anything. I've visited numerous of these articles with other people having the same problem, I've tried all of them. And none...
  6. Can't open Settings or Start Menu, taskbar visible in fullscreen

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't open Settings or Start Menu, taskbar visible in fullscreen: So yeah.. title? I don't know how or why it happened. One day, it just kinda did, without any possible explanation. Please help me fix these problems, they're the only reason I went and made an account here. I previously had issues with this system, but none were as annoying...
  7. Settings and Start Menu won't open!

in Windows 10 Support
    Settings and Start Menu won't open!: A couple days ago my computer started acting funky and the next day my settings would crash every time I would open it I have tried running the troubleshooters and all the commands in PowerShell and cmd but nothing seems to work. Also, my start menu won't open even if I do...
  8. Windows 10 Can't open start menu or settings

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 Can't open start menu or settings: So last week my computer updated to Windows 10, and ever since then I've been unable to open the start menu or open settings. When ever I click on the start menu button in the bottom corner it's process for a couple of seconds and then nothing will happen. The shortcut for...
  9. Can't open start menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't open start menu: I can't open my start menu and when I try to open some stuff. It happened a week ago when I was away from pc *Mad Screen capture - 4d26d594ea04bc174b8336a6835b92d8 - Gyazo P.s when my mouse is over the win button i am pressing. 20768
  10. Can't open settings + start menu not opening

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't open settings + start menu not opening: Having issues opening my start menu/settings. Cannot use hotkeys to open them nor cmd prompts. Can still run task manager but I am having issues resolving this problem. I have tried creating a new user and switching to that account but no dice. Any help would be immensely...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Ive tried everything and i cant open ANY of my predowloaded apps on my microsoft Lumia 640