Windows 10: Can't open system settings shortcuts from start!

Discus and support Can't open system settings shortcuts from start! in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hello I can't open any settings from windows search, for example when I search and open mouse settings, I get an error that says "The app does not have... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/xurimx, Dec 12, 2020.

1. /u/xurimx Win User

Can't open system settings shortcuts from start!

Hello I can't open any settings from windows search, for example when I search and open mouse settings, I get an error that says "The app does not have an app associated with it...". Does anyone have any idea why it's not working? how can I reset these shortcuts? Please check the link below
    https://imgur.com/a/5fYrPL1

submitted by /u/xurimx
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/xurimx, Dec 12, 2020
  2. oemSoft Win User

How to add shortcut into start?

Can you read their instruction? that is not clear at all.

Under %AppData%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs, it only shows Folders : Maintnance, Windows Powershell, Windows System, Windows System Tools ... Start up.
    There is no a list of program shortcuts and subfolders. I cannot follow their instruction, if you understand, could you please show your steps?

Do you have any suggestions?

Thank you very much for any suggestions (^v^)

"Opening that folder should display a list of program shortcuts and subfolders. In this example, we want to add all the new shortcuts into a subfolder called Settings, so right-click any empty space in the File Explorer window, click New
    > Folder, name that folder Settings, and open the newly created, empty folder.

The rest of the process is straightforward. Right-click and choose New > Shortcut. Enter the full path of the executable file or ms-settings shortcut you want to add (as in the example shown here), click Next, and then enter a name for the shortcut.

Repeat this process for any other shortcuts you want to add. All your custom shortcuts should appear in the Programs list, where they're one right-click away from being pinned as a tile."

oemSoft, Dec 12, 2020
  3. oemSoft Win User
    How to add shortcut into start?

If I want to add shortcut into Start's tiles (I don't know the exact term), not add those shortcuts to the scrolling Programs list.

Under %AppData%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs, it only shows Folders : Maintnance, Windows Powershell, Windows System, Windows System Tools ... Start up. I cannot find Setting folder, and its instruction is not clear.

Do you have any suggestions on how to do that?

Thank you very much for any suggestions (^v^)

"Opening that folder should display a list of program shortcuts and subfolders. In this example, we want to add all the new shortcuts into a subfolder called Settings, so right-click any empty space in the File Explorer window, click New > Folder, name that
    folder Settings, and open the newly created, empty folder.

The rest of the process is straightforward. Right-click and choose New > Shortcut. Enter the full path of the executable file or ms-settings shortcut you want to add (as in the example shown here), click Next, and then enter a name for the shortcut.

Repeat this process for any other shortcuts you want to add. All your custom shortcuts should appear in the Programs list, where they're one right-click away from being pinned as a tile."

oemSoft, Dec 12, 2020
  4. Can't open system settings shortcuts from start!

Windows 10 - Can't open shortcuts to Settings in start menu

Hello Mark,

Thank you for posting your concern in Microsoft Community and welcome to the Windows 10 Family.

From the description provided, I understand that the Settings in Windows 10 does not function properly.

I would suggest you to refer to the below methods and check if it helps to resolve the issue.

Method 1:

This issue may happen due to system file corruption. I suggest you to run System file checker. System File checker (SFC) scan is done to check if there are any corrupted system files that could be causing this issue. Kindly follow
    the below given steps:

• Press Windows key + X, select
      Command prompt (Admin) to bring up elevated Command prompt.

• In Command prompt type
      sfc/scannow
      and press enter.
    • Restart the computer.
    Method 2:

If no corrupted system files were found in the previous state, then I suggest you to try the following steps to employ the DISM command lines:

• Open command prompt by pressing Windows key + X and selecting “Command prompt admin”.

• In command prompt, type the following commands and press Enter after each command:
    DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Cleanupimage

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

• Close the command prompt and restart the PC and check if it works.
    However, if the above recommendations did not help, I would suggest you to
    check if the same issue occur when logged in through a different user account.

Ref:
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/getstarted-set-up-accounts

Additionally also refer to the below thread link and check if it helps.

Settings doesn’t launch, or launches the Store instead

Hope the above information is helpful. If you need further information, feel free to write to us and we would be happy to help you.

Thank You.

Sayan_Ghosh, Dec 12, 2020
Thema:

Can't open system settings shortcuts from start!

1. Can't open system settings shortcuts from start! - Similar Threads - Can't open system

2. i can't open the system settings

in Windows 10 Customization
    i can't open the system settings: Hello, I have a problem in the windows 10 settings :the settings screen crashes everytime I click on the system category.I can click on everything except on system settings or it makes the settings crashing..Thank you....
  3. can't open shortcuts to settings that are present anywhere on the desktop

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    can't open shortcuts to settings that are present anywhere on the desktop: I cannot open my windows 10 settings from shortcuts such as display settings, personalize, open sound settings, etc.. It is really annoying having to go everytime to settings in order for me to make a minor adjustment in my audio or anything would be amazing if someone has...
  4. Can't open either Display Settings or System Settings in Windows10

Can't open either Display Settings or System Settings in Windows10: I can't open the Display settings or System Settings on my laptop. Upon clicking in the button, the program seems to open but it suddenly quits. Fixes I already tried: - Reset the Setting App - Uninstall all monitor, graphic devices and reinstalled new drivers - Create...
  5. Can't open Windows Settings app via Start menu shortcuts or keyboard shortcut

Can't open Windows Settings app via Start menu shortcuts or keyboard shortcut: Hey all, I have an issue with my Surface Book running Windows 10, version 1809 (OS build 17763.475). The issue popped up after updating the laptop to the latest version of Windows. When I want to open the settings app, I generally do so by clicking on the Start Menu and...
  6. Unable to open some programs/shortcuts from start menu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to open some programs/shortcuts from start menu: Hello, So I've been noticing a common issue with upgrading some of my work place's PCs from Windows 7 to Windows 10. I am using the windows media creation tool and for the most part everything goes well during the upgrade, however when I log back into the machine using out...
  7. Can't Open Start menu or Settings tried everything

Can't Open Start menu or Settings tried everything: When I started my PC today I couldn't use the start menu and the toolbar wouldn't disappear in full screen videos also i tried to open settings it say that the settings don't exsist I have tried all the solutions I could find including on other discussion so what should I...
  8. Can't open programs from the start menu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't open programs from the start menu: Hi, everyone. So this issue just started happening today. I am currently on the anniversary build and when I search for a program in the start menu and try to open it, it won't open. Things like run, Chrome, etc. all won't open. Basic windows apps such as the calculator seem...
  9. Can't drag shortcuts from the start menu to the desktop anymore...

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't drag shortcuts from the start menu to the desktop anymore...: Since recently, I can't drag en drop icons from my start menu to my desktop anymore... When I click the icon and drag it to the desktop, I see it on the desktop, with the overlay that a shortcut will be created there, but when I release the mouse button, the round waiting...
  10. Can't open settings + start menu not opening

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't open settings + start menu not opening: Having issues opening my start menu/settings. Cannot use hotkeys to open them nor cmd prompts. Can still run task manager but I am having issues resolving this problem. I have tried creating a new user and switching to that account but no dice. Any help would be immensely...