Windows 10: Can't open Windows Settings app via Start menu shortcuts or keyboard shortcut

Discus and support Can't open Windows Settings app via Start menu shortcuts or keyboard shortcut in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hey all, I have an issue with my Surface Book running Windows 10, version 1809 (OS build 17763.475). The issue popped up after updating the laptop to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by atwooo, May 9, 2019.

1. atwooo Win User

Can't open Windows Settings app via Start menu shortcuts or keyboard shortcut

Hey all,

I have an issue with my Surface Book running Windows 10, version 1809 (OS build 17763.475). The issue popped up after updating the laptop to the latest version of Windows.

When I want to open the settings app, I generally do so by clicking on the Start Menu and then searching for the settings I'm trying to access, like this:

Can't open Windows Settings app via Start menu shortcuts or keyboard shortcut f2258d17-fab5-4e39-bd18-eb528447956f?upload=true.png

The problem is that while I can see the settings in a list, after this new update, I can't actually click any of them. None of these shortcuts open the settings app at all.

Oddly enough, when this problem arose, I also realized that I can't open the settings app using the Windows key shortcut (Windows Key + i).

I'm still able to access the settings app thankfully, but I was wondering if this could potentially mean that the location of the settings app on my computer is not correctly linked to the shortcut or windows key mapping?

I have seen that this person posted a previous question that is identical to the issue I'm experiencing, but they couldn't solve it: link to previous question

Also want to note I've had to do a problem with the Photos app not working and had to end up doing a lot to manually reinstall it (thankfully it works now!) but that could potentially be related, as the previous poster said they had this issue after having trouble with their calculator app requiring a reinstall.

Things I've done to try to fix it:

• updated Windows to latest version
    • ran sfc /scannow (no issues were found)
    • ran troubleshooter
    • Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

If anyone has any insight it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

- McKenzie

:)

atwooo, May 9, 2019
  2. Frick Win User

Windows 10 commands/shortcuts/env. var.

Keyboard shortcuts to open programs:

Create a shortcut on the desktop to whatever program you want. Right click -> Properties and fill in the field there. Sadly the shortcut needs to remain on the desktop, but you can hide it.

Fun fact: If you had keyboard shortcuts for programs pinned to your Windows 7 start menu, those shortcuts still work when you update to Windows 10.

Frick, May 9, 2019
  3. Keyboard shortcut to open the calculator

Hello,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I request you to try the below steps:

• Type "Calculator" in start menu.
    • Click on Calculator and drag it to desktop.
    • Right click on it and select Properties.
    • Now go to Shortcut tab and add a shortcut.
    • Click on OK.

You may also refer the following article for keyboard shortcuts:

Keyboard shortcuts

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/keyboard-shortcuts

I hope this helps you. If you have any further queries, feel free to contact us. We will be happy to help you.

Thank you.

Amit(Kumar), May 9, 2019
  4. Can't open Windows Settings app via Start menu shortcuts or keyboard shortcut

How to create a shortcut for a keyboard shortcut.

Hi Marcos,

Welcome to Microsoft Community.

I understand that you are willing to create Keyboard shortcut on Windows 10. I will certainly help you.

I suggest you to follow the steps in the below Microsoft article to create
    a keyboard shortcut for an app.

Create keyboard shortcuts to open desktop apps

Note: The troubleshooting steps in the above link are meant for windows 8, however, you can use the same for windows 10 as well.

Refer below article for more information on Keyboard shortcuts.

Keyboard shortcuts

Please post back with above information and we will be glad to assist you further.

Thank you.

Vinodh_Kumar V, May 9, 2019
Thema:

Can't open Windows Settings app via Start menu shortcuts or keyboard shortcut

1. Can't open Windows Settings app via Start menu shortcuts or keyboard shortcut - Similar Threads - Can't open Settings

2. Lost shortcuts for apps in start menu of windows

in Windows 10 Customization
    Lost shortcuts for apps in start menu of windows: Hello community, I accidentally deleted the shortcuts for many of the programs I have from the start folder in Windows File Explorer. I don't know how to get them back. Please help me....
  3. Start Menu shortcuts for Windows Store apps

Start Menu shortcuts for Windows Store apps: Most desktop apps create Start Menu shortcuts by default. I can change the names of shortcuts e.g. "Firefox" -> "Mozilla Firefox", create new ones, or delete existing ones by accessing the shortcut files on my PC. Usually, these are located at...
  4. Can't open system settings shortcuts from start!

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't open system settings shortcuts from start!: Hello I can't open any settings from windows search, for example when I search and open mouse settings, I get an error that says "The app does not have an app associated with it...". Does anyone have any idea why it's not working? how can I reset these shortcuts? Please check...
  5. Start menu shortcuts and settings not appearing in start menu search

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Start menu shortcuts and settings not appearing in start menu search: When I start for Windows settings, such as personalisation, nothing appears. Additionally, shortcuts located in these two locations %ProgramData%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs %AppData%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs will not appear in my search. What I...
  6. Start menu shortcuts and settings not appearing in start menu search

in Cortana
    Start menu shortcuts and settings not appearing in start menu search: When I start for Windows settings, such as personalisation, nothing appears. Additionally, shortcuts located in these two locations %ProgramData%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs %AppData%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs will not appear in my search. What I...
  7. Can't add shortcuts to start menu

Can't add shortcuts to start menu: I can't pin shortcuts to start menu , i tried drag and drop , but it won't let me. I also don't have a "Start Menu' tab in taskbar properties. [img] [img] 10986
  8. Can a universal app be started via keyboard shortcut or command line

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can a universal app be started via keyboard shortcut or command line: The thread title pretty much says it all. Can a universal app (currently interested in Weather) be started via keyboard shortcut or command line command? 76936
  9. Restore opened windows via shortcut

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Restore opened windows via shortcut: Is it a way to restore the opened windows like they were before via a shortcut after windows restart? 38435
  10. Can't click on Start Menu shortcuts

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't click on Start Menu shortcuts: So I'm having this weird bug where I can't click any of my start menu shortcuts when I search up the program (typing) I'm trying to execute but if I manually look for it (using scroll wheel) and clicking on the shortcut the program will execute? I've tried rebuilding my...