Windows 10: Can't open Zip Files

Discus and support Can't open Zip Files in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; When I click a zip file all the options are grayed out. If I right click I do not have an Extract option. If I click Send to Compressed (Zip ) folder... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by scooby, Feb 7, 2016.

1. scooby Win User

Can't open Zip Files

When I click a zip file all the options are grayed out. If I right click I do not have an Extract option. If I click Send to Compressed (Zip ) folder it makes another copy in the same folder. What is the next step? How do I open zip this?
    Thank you

Can't open Zip Files [​IMG]

:)

scooby, Feb 7, 2016

2. windows 10 I'm Administrator do not have access privileges??????

can't open zip files??????

ThomasAlexander1, Feb 7, 2016
  3. IrishDJ Win User
    zip file

I'm trying to download a media recovery file for a Dell Laptop to my PC using windows 10, yet after downloading the zip file it won't open and says it's invalid. I followed all the instructions and file explorer is my default on zip. I've done it 3 times
    and still can't open. I moved it to the desktop, to the download file, and still nothing. Other zip files seem to open fine. If I can't open the file, I can't get my laptop up and going. I didn't receive a recovery disc when I purchased it and Dell only
    offers downloading a zip file. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

IrishDJ, Feb 7, 2016
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Can't open Zip Files

Hello scooby, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

It sounds like you default associations for ZIP files may be messed up. If you like, download and merge the .reg file for the listed zip item in OPTION TWO of the tutorial below to see if it may help. It will restore the default associations and registry entries for ZIP files.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/8...dows-10-a.html

Brink, Feb 7, 2016
  5. Berton Win User
    The icon for the .zip file suggests it doesn't have a program associated with it. Windows does have built-in support for .zip files but something must have happened to that feature. I usually recommend the free 7-Zip for working with compressed files, helps in diagnosing where a problem may lie. I found the file on the 'net, downloaded it and opened fine.
    7-Zip

Berton, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Can't open Zip Files

1. Can't open Zip Files - Similar Threads - Can't open Zip

2. Can't open Zip files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't open Zip files: All of the sudden, I am not able to download and open a zip file. I had to install 7-Zip to get folders open. The zip file is coming from a secure server and never had any issues before. The zip file is part of a software program that shares projects that are built withing...
  3. Can't open Zip files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't open Zip files: All of the sudden, I am not able to download and open a zip file. I had to install 7-Zip to get folders open. The zip file is coming from a secure server and never had any issues before. The zip file is part of a software program that shares projects that are built withing...
  4. Can't open Zip files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Can't open a zip file in Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't open a zip file in Windows 11: I am running Windows 11 and I can't open, extract, delete or move a zip file. When ever I click or right click on the zip file the folder closes and I am looking at my desk top. This happens with any zip file....
  6. Can't open a zip file in Windows 11

Can't open a zip file in Windows 11: I am running Windows 11 and I can't open, extract, delete or move a zip file. When ever I click or right click on the zip file the folder closes and I am looking at my desk top. This happens with any zip file....
  7. Can't open downloaded zip files, Windows 11

Can't open downloaded zip files, Windows 11: Hello, I have Windows 11 and when I download multiple files such as files from an email attachment, and they download as a zip file, I can't open them, move them or save them. I have to download multiple files one by one and it's an incredibly tedious, time consuming process....
  8. opening a zip file

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    opening a zip file: Hello I am trying to open a zip file; when i extract all and go to the file it says file is empty. so i tried internet explorer because i used that before and it says file has a virus. but i know for a fact the file is safe. how can i get my file to open so i can safe it. it...
  9. Can't open encrypted Zip Files

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Can't open encrypted Zip Files: I get encrypted ZIP files from trusted emails. They download to a Zip Folder, I click on the Folder and it takes me to the File. When I click on the file, to extract it, or use the Extract Icon, I get a error dialogue saying the files can't be created. If I use 7-Zip, I...
  10. Zips files will not open

in Windows 10 Support
    Zips files will not open: I recently upgraded to Windows10 on my desktop Dell. Last week I attempted to unzip some files & open .tif files that had been saved when I was still running Windows 8.1. Previous to the upgraded I never had a issue unzipping these files and they are always from the same...