Windows 10: cant optimize the ssd drive windows 10

Discus and support cant optimize the ssd drive windows 10 in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; cant optimize the ssd drive in windows 10 it goes through the motions but then still says this 152716 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by shakennstirred, Mar 22, 2020.

1. cant optimize the ssd drive windows 10

cant optimize the ssd drive in windows 10
    it goes through the motions but then still says this

:)

shakennstirred, Mar 22, 2020

2. Windows 10 can not optimize HDD, says it is a SSD Help

Hi Steve,

Thank you for posting your question in the Microsoft Community.

Appreciate your efforts to work on this issue.

• Does the BIOS recognizes the disk as HDD or SSD?

Suggest you to set the Optimize Drives Service to start automatically from the services window to check if that helps.

1. Open the run window, type ‘services.msc’ and press Enter.
    2. Search for Optimize Drives Service and select the start-up type as automatic. Also ensure to start the service.

If you have set SATA controller to AHCI mode for Solid State Drive, in Device Manager it would show as SATA hard disk.

Follow these steps:

1. Click start, type “Defragment” and click “Defragment and Optimize your drives”.
    2. On the “Defragment and Optimize your drives” window. Make sure that your SSD is categorized as an SSD.
    3. If it’s not, then you can set it as a SSD on your bios. This way, you don’t have to exclude your SSD or disable any scheduled defragmentation.
    Disclaimer: Modifying BIOS/ complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the configuring
    of BIOS/CMOS settings can be solved. Modifications of the settings are at your own risk.

Hope this helps.

Let us know if you got the help you needed.

Regards,

Srimadhwa B

Microsoft Community-Moderator

Srimadhwa_B, Mar 22, 2020
  3. JonGrimes Win User
    External SATA3 SSD to USB (512GB Crucial MX100 SSD) showing up as a Hard drive in Windows 10 Defragment and optimize drives?

Hi Anup,

Thanks for your suggestions. I ran the Hardware and Devices trouble shooter and it did find a problem with my

Bluetooth adapter (despite the fact that I've never used it and have no Bluetooth devices). I reinstalled and/or

fixed all three ASUS G751JY notebook Windows 10 drivers successfully. However, the external 512GB Crucial MX100

SATA3 to USB3.0 SSD remains listed as hard disc drive on Windows 10 Defragment and Optimize drives feature.

I also tried your second suggestion and ran the DISM using Command Prompt (Admin.).

It returned a Windows 10 latest build 100% system image health. The external 512GB Crucial MX100 SATA3 to USB3.0

SSD still comes up as a hard disc drive in Defragment and Optimize drives Windows 10, Control Panel feature.

JonGrimes, Mar 22, 2020
  4. cant optimize the ssd drive windows 10

Should "Defragment and Optimize Drives" be running for an SSD?

I have read conflicting reports for the last five years about optimization, defragmentation, and TRIM. Some reports suggest that Windows is smart enough to know what to do with the SSD and some reports suggest that the SSD's architecture has outrun Windows 10 implementation tactics.

A small example of this would be the fact that I have the most current Crucial SSD firmware to date for my particular drive, and yet Windows 10 still chooses to see it as a HDD :

cant optimize the ssd drive windows 10 [​IMG]

More alarming, is the fact that it fragments at a rate of 3% an hour on average even with TRIM enabled when the scheduled optimization is turned off for all drives.

I have about had it with the conflicting reports that Windows 10 knows what it is doing with my SSD when it can't even display correctly in an optimization GUI. My SSD is a permanent fixture within my enclosure and I do not swap it around from computer to computer via a cable.

Any suggestions or proof that TRIM is doing its job when Windows 10 is too inept to even have my drive listed correctly in an optimization GUI? I mean for the love of whatever, it has the audacity to list that the drive is fragmented; but unfortunately, it cannot be run on a regular schedule because it will eventually degrade the SSD according to the manufacturers of SSD's.

So in retrospect and looking forward, I would like to come across an article that addresses specifically how an SSD should be treated when a OS refuses to see the drive for what it really is.

I remember the days when you were able to lie to the computer when hooking an incompatible piece of equipment to it, and it would work because you had the option to choose a set of parameters that the computer didn't know to flag as unusable.

Now, it is the complete opposite; I have an OS lying to me about what type of drive I have installed for who knows what reason. In other words, I miss being in control of something I own because someone in a cubicle somewhere half-way around the world feels it is important for the end user to not be in control of their equipment.

EyeInTheSky, Mar 22, 2020
Thema:

cant optimize the ssd drive windows 10

1. cant optimize the ssd drive windows 10 - Similar Threads - cant optimize ssd

2. Win10 sees SSD as HDD in the Drive Optimizer

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Win10 sees SSD as HDD in the Drive Optimizer: I heard that defragmenting an SSD is a bad thing, as there is no benifit to it and it just stresses the Flash. but as it seems the drive optimizer doesn't defrag an SSD, which would be good if it would actually correctly detect an SSD. my System has technically 1 SSD. the...
  3. optimize ssd or not

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    optimize ssd or not: Hi, I'm reading all kind of things about obtimizing my ssd or not using Windows "Defragment and Optimize Drives". Apparently there is or was a bug with Windows wrongly degramenting the ssd. What should I do now ? Keep "Scheduled optimization" turned off for my ssds ? Or...
  4. SSD optimize

SSD optimize: I know this has been beaten to death. The answer seems to depend upon the person answering. I cannot figure out whether I should turn windows on or off and if on, for what frequency a month or a week. Thee is a lot of Google gossip that all SSDs should not be optimized then...
  5. SSD Optimization

in Windows 10 Customization
    SSD Optimization: I've recently had to install the 1903 Feature Update. I had delayed this by changing settings to indicate I was on a metered connection and Microsoft gave me the option to update. Eventually they must have lost patience and I no longer had the option. Previous Feature updates...
  6. SSD optimize

SSD optimize: I don't know anything about the SSD in my machine. I have Windows optimizer set for monthly as I thought we should do. Please correct me if I am wrong. Then I read the following and wonder if all this is necessary for the average user to treat the SSD properly? Things You...
  7. Should "Defragment and Optimize Drives" be running for an SSD?

Should "Defragment and Optimize Drives" be running for an SSD?: I just noticed this today. I have a Samsung 960 EVO with Win 10 pro installed. I was monitoring something else with the Task Manager when I noticed that the optimize operation was running (Under the Task Manager it is listed as Service Host: Disk Defragmenter: Optimize...
  8. SSD Optimization help

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    SSD Optimization help: Hi,I have an ssd and I need to somehow make trim to work,as hard disk sentinel sees that it isn't at it's peak performance,but I have a problem I am unsure whether or not optimize drives app or whatever it is(which is windows's defragmentation app) will trim or defragmentate...
  9. Optimize SSD

Optimize SSD: Since I've installed a SSD, When I run Optimize it says never run-needs optimization. It will never run on it. Any suggestions? [img] 66691
  10. Is Windows 10 Optimizing My SSD Drive

Is Windows 10 Optimizing My SSD Drive: I upgraded from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10. I was looking around and noticed that Windows 10 optimize drives, is schedule to optimize (defragment) my solid state drive. I have always been under the impression that defragmenting a solid state drive, is not advised. Has this...