Windows 10: Can't pair certain Bluetooth devices anymore on Windows 8 or 10? That's intentional

Discus and support Can't pair certain Bluetooth devices anymore on Windows 8 or 10? That's intentional in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Microsoft released security updates for all supported versions of the Windows operating system on June 11, 2019. Some of the released updates patch a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, Jun 12, 2019.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

Can't pair certain Bluetooth devices anymore on Windows 8 or 10? That's intentional

Microsoft released security updates for all supported versions of the Windows operating system on June 11, 2019. Some of the released updates patch a Bluetooth security vulnerability by "intentionally preventing connections between Windows and Bluetooth devices that are not secure and use well-known keys to encrypt connections, including security fobs".

In other words: Windows prevents the pairing of certain Bluetooth devices with Windows systems after the latest security update is installed.

Microsoft notes:

You may experience issues pairing, connecting or using certain Bluetooth devices after installing security updates released June 11, 2019. These security updates address a security vulnerability by intentionally preventing connections from Windows to unsecure Bluetooth devices.

A support page on the Microsoft Support website highlights the affected versions and updates:

• Windows 10: all versions.
    • Windows 8.1
    • Window Server 2019
    • Windows Server 2016
    • Windows Server 2012 R2
    • Windows Server 2012
    • Windows Embedded 8 Standard

The CVE reveals that the issue affects Android devices only. It lists Android version 7.0 to Android 9 as potentially affected. Whether a device is affected depends on the manufacturer. If the manufacturer used a provded example Long Term Key, it is affected by the issue.

In the Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) specification, there is a provided example Long Term Key (LTK). If a BLE device were to use this as a hardcoded LTK, it is theoretically possible for a proximate attacker to remotely inject keystrokes on a paired Android host due to improperly used crypto. User interaction is not needed for exploitation. Product: Android. Versions: Android-7.0 Android-7.1.1 Android-7.1.2 Android-8.0 Android-8.1 Android-9. Android ID: A-128843052.

Can't pair certain Bluetooth devices anymore on Windows 8 or 10? That's intentional windows-bluetooth-pairing-issue.png

Administrators may check the Event Log to find out if a Bluetooth device is affected by the intentional change:

1. Load the Event Viewer from the Start Menu.
    2. Switch to Windows Logs > System.
    3. Locate the following events:
      • Event Log: System
      • Event Source: BTHUSB or BTHMINI
      • Event ID: 22
      • Name: BTHPORT_DEBUG_LINK_KEY_NOT_ALLOWED
      • Level: Error
      • Event Message Text: Your Bluetooth device attempted to establish a debug connection. The Windows Bluetooth stack does not allow debug connection while it is not in the debug mode.
    4. If you see the event listed you know that the Bluetooth device is affected by the change.

Microsoft suggests to contact the manufacturer of the Bluetooth device to determine whether device updates are available. These need to update the connection options of the Bluetooth device to address the security issue for the device.

Options to connect affected Bluetooth devices, e.g. by overriding the intentional change, have not been revealed by Microsoft. The only option to restore pairing functionality for affected devices for which updates are not available is to restore an earlier version of the Windows operating system. Doing so would open the system up for attacks targeting that vulnerability, however. (via Deskmodder, Windows Latest)

Ghacks needs you. You can find out how to support us here (https://www.ghacks.net/support/) or support the site directly by becoming a Patreon (https://www.patreon.com/ghacks)). Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post Can't pair certain Bluetooth devices anymore on Windows 8 or 10? That's intentional appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, Jun 12, 2019
  2. 95Viper Win User

Onn keyboard bluetooth doesn't lit the pairing light anymore how to reset??

ONN ONA14TA059 (01).pdf @ Manual Hub
    BTKB14TA059 Bluetooth Keyboard User Manual ONA14TA059_User Manul_Qi_Rev4_3-25-2014_1 Hung Tat Electronic Co Ltd

Can't pair certain Bluetooth devices anymore on Windows 8 or 10? That's intentional 2248694-0-png.png

Cleaned up images --> *89401-c3b2c0611a0d4b0ab58658a310654d8f.jpg* *89402-061c03a36cff2dcf348e9fe177bbc1d5.jpg*

Quoted directions, as is, from link above:
    Google --> BTKB14TA059 Bluetooth Keyboard User Manual ONA14TA059_User Manul_Qi_Rev4_3-25-2014_1 Hung Tat Electronic Co Ltd

Hope it helps...

95Viper, Jun 12, 2019
  3. Bluetooth Devices will not Pair

Hi,

Hopefully this is the correct Forum !

I have a Microsoft Mouse 5000 and Wedge keyboard (the early one that does not fold).
    Both have been working perfectly.

Recently I paired them both successfully with a new Samsung tablet, but when I came to use them again on my laptop,
    I found that I could not pair either of them.

I have spent countless hours researching this without success.

Here's where I am now:

Settings > Bluetooth & other devices does not list either of them.
    Device Manager > Bluetooth has both of them showing and reports both working properly.

Device Manager reports as follows:

Notebook Mouse 5000:
    No driver files are required or have been loaded
    The Events tab says that further installation is required

Wedge Mobile Keyboard:
    No driver files are required or have been loaded
    The Events tab says that further installation is required

The 2 Service Discovery Service entries also report that further installation is required.

Can anyone suggest the way forward, please ?

Regards.

stuartgb100, Jun 12, 2019
  4. Tobbe Win User

Can't pair certain Bluetooth devices anymore on Windows 8 or 10? That's intentional

Can't select paired bluetooth speaker as sound output (Windows 10)

I just got a new bluetooth speaker, an Urbanears Stammen (concrete grey)

I can connect to it from my phone, using Bluetooth, and play back sound no problem. But I can't get my Windows 10 laptop (Dell XPS 15) to use it as a playback device.

I can connect and pair to it no problem, as you see in the screenshot below

Can't pair certain Bluetooth devices anymore on Windows 8 or 10? That's intentional ehlZX.png

It also shows up under bluetooth in the device manager. It's not listed under "Audio inputs and outputs", which I thought it should be, but I can see it under "Sound, video and game controllers".

Can't pair certain Bluetooth devices anymore on Windows 8 or 10? That's intentional d4Fvh.png

But I can't select it as a playback device Can't pair certain Bluetooth devices anymore on Windows 8 or 10? That's intentional :(

Can't pair certain Bluetooth devices anymore on Windows 8 or 10? That's intentional DNCNI.png

I found this relevant superuser question: Windows 10 computer paired w/ bluetooth speaker, but doesn't send music to speaker

And I tried the suggested steps listed there, but nothing helped Can't pair certain Bluetooth devices anymore on Windows 8 or 10? That's intentional :(

Any further ideas I could try?

Tobbe, Jun 12, 2019
Thema:

1. Can't pair certain Bluetooth devices anymore on Windows 8 or 10? That's intentional - Similar Threads - Can't pair certain

2. Can't Pair Bluetooth Audio Devices

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't Pair Bluetooth Audio Devices: I recently tried pairing a BT speaker to my PC with a fully updated Windows 11 install on a Z590 Master motherboard and ran into an issue. I tried pairing it like I've always done through settings/bluetooth & devices and clicking on "Add device" and selecting the speaker and...
  3. Can't Pair Bluetooth Audio Devices

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't Pair Bluetooth Audio Devices: I recently tried pairing a BT speaker to my PC with a fully updated Windows 11 install on a Z590 Master motherboard and ran into an issue. I tried pairing it like I've always done through settings/bluetooth & devices and clicking on "Add device" and selecting the speaker and...
  4. Bluetooth can't connect to paired devices

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bluetooth can't connect to paired devices: Currently having an issue with my bluetooth randomly stop working one day. I can't connect to any of paired devices or any new ones, however I am able to discover them. I also cannot remove my current paired devices. My bluetooth is turned on and everything has been updated....
  5. Bluetooth can't connect to paired devices

Bluetooth can't connect to paired devices: Currently having an issue with my bluetooth randomly stop working one day. I can't connect to any of paired devices or any new ones, however I am able to discover them. I also cannot remove my current paired devices. My bluetooth is turned on and everything has been updated....
  6. No bluetooth Devices are Pairing on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    No bluetooth Devices are Pairing on Windows 10: I have been struggling to pair any devices on my windows 10 computer Lenovo Thinkpad E15 20RD. I have attempted to connect with multiple devices including 2 cellphones, 2 Headphones and a bluetooth FM transmitter. Often the devices pair but refuse to connect. At times they...
  7. No bluetooth Devices are Pairing on Windows 10

No bluetooth Devices are Pairing on Windows 10: I have been struggling to pair any devices on my windows 10 computer Lenovo Thinkpad E15 20RD. I have attempted to connect with multiple devices including 2 cellphones, 2 Headphones and a bluetooth FM transmitter. Often the devices pair but refuse to connect. At times they...
  8. No bluetooth Devices are Pairing on Windows 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  9. can't pair Bluetooth devices

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    can't pair Bluetooth devices: a few days ago, like usual, there was a problem with the Bluetooth connection. It was "the disappearing of Bluetooth device in device manager" things. I just wait for it to appear again, and it does appear. But I was already unpair my Bluetooth mouse. Then I was just "well,...
  10. Can't remove paired bluetooth devices in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can't remove paired bluetooth devices in Windows 10: Hi, I have a problem with bluetooth in Windows 10. I can't remove bluetooth devices to re-pair them. I tried add bluetooth manual but can't found my devices. In Bluetooth setting, none of them appear but I can see them in Devices Manager, like images below. [img] [img] I...