Windows 10: Can't paste to or create anything on to my desktop

Discus and support Can't paste to or create anything on to my desktop in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I can't create anything (folders, text files ect...) on my desktop, or paste anything on to it from another folder, either to the desktop or the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by HMdth8, Nov 11, 2018.

1. HMdth8 Win User

Can't paste to or create anything on to my desktop

I can't create anything (folders, text files ect...) on my desktop, or paste anything on to it from another folder, either to the desktop or the desktop's location folder in C:\Users\Owner. I get an error message:

"Could not find this item

This is no longer located in C:\Users\Owner.

Verify the items location and try again.

Desktop"

Screenshot for reference:

Can't paste to or create anything on to my desktop 9e6556d7-3b2b-49ec-8212-99fc15ab1bf4?upload=true.png

I have tried to verify the location by going through the properties of the desktop under "This PC" where I am trying to paste my files, but the location panel is telling me that the desktop is where the error message is saying it isn't.

screenshot for reference:

Can't paste to or create anything on to my desktop 23c5b499-ca31-4892-9ee4-b7d86726bdb3?upload=true.png

I have tried to set the location to a different drive (where I changed the locations my documents, music, video, ect... to anyway to save room on my C: drive SSD) but this didn't work either.

Screenshot for reference:

Can't paste to or create anything on to my desktop 03875593-d7dc-4d7e-a8a2-632159a84b97?upload=true.png

Not sure how to solve this issue. when trouble shooting I found cases where this happens to files, an people can't delete them, the solutions end up going through regedit and running commands, but they aren't really specific to this situation and I didn't want to doing more damage. I've been trying to trouble shoot this for about a year now on and off. It has happened to windows 10 laptop I used to own, I tried to trouble shoot it then, but couldn't solve it. I just ended up ignoring it, it isn't even that inconvenient, until I need a file to quickly access on the desktop. now it has happened to a new PC, so i'm pretty sure its something stupid I'm doing but I cant for the life of me figure out what it is. I know the desktop worked properly when I first started using the machine. one day it just wasn't working

The only thing i can think off is that I was messing around with the One Drive folder, which i vaguely remember messing with before my laptop did the same thing. any help would be very appreciated.

:)

HMdth8, Nov 11, 2018
  2. JATownes Win User

Best thermal paste

Most decent thermal paste is about all the same (1-2 degree difference). Without knowing the two listed, (I use MX-2), I would suggest going with the one that is non-conductive.

JATownes, Nov 11, 2018
  3. Personalize desktop with pictures taken and stored within My Pictures

Hi Granite,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community. I understand the inconvenience you are facing. I will certainly help you with this.

Try the below steps and check if it helps.

I suggest you to create a new folder, copy pictures whichever you want to set as desktop background and paste in new folder.

Now browse and select this folder to set as desktop background. Follow the below steps:

• Right click on desktop and select Personalize.
    • Under background select Slideshow.
    • Now browse for the folder which you created.
    • Turn on Shuffle.
    Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with Windows. We are glad to assist you.

Thank you.

ThofikhAhamad, Nov 11, 2018
  4. Can't paste to or create anything on to my desktop

How do I get a shortcut app or icon to desktop from microsoft edge such as club pogo

Hi Pat Ruble,

We appreciate you for being a part of Windows 10.

You may create shortcut in desktop. Follow the below steps.

• Open the desktop, right click on empty area on desktop and click on
      New->Shortcut.

• Enter the url which you have copied from the Microsoft EDGE in the
      Type the location of the item text box. (Open the EDGE browser, copy the URL which you need to create the shortcut on desktop by pressing CTRL + C keys on the keyboard and paste it in the text box as suggested in the step 2 by pasting the URL
      by pressing CTRL + V keys on the keyboard)

• Click on Next button and then click on
      Finish
      button.

• Now the shortcut will be created on desktop.
    I hope the above information helps. Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with the issue. We are glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Kiran Kishore, Nov 11, 2018
Thema:

Can't paste to or create anything on to my desktop

1. Can't paste to or create anything on to my desktop - Similar Threads - Can't paste create

2. Can't create desktop icons

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't create desktop icons: I have an enterprise-managed laptop which had a disk crash, and IT installed a fresh enterprise image of Windows 10 . The laptop shows desktop icons when connected to the enterprise network. I want to be able to have full use this laptop when not connected to the work...
  3. Can't create desktop icons

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can't create desktop icons: I have an enterprise-managed laptop which had a disk crash, and IT installed a fresh enterprise image of Windows 10 . The laptop shows desktop icons when connected to the enterprise network. I want to be able to have full use this laptop when not connected to the work...
  4. Can't click anything on desktop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't click anything on desktop: Hello all.Sometimes, I cannot click anything while using windows, including interacting with apps, minimizing/closing them, and interacting with the taskbar. The only fix for this is ctrl+alt+delete. Is there any fix for this? I've tried:DISMsfc /scannowAlso, sometimes my...
  5. Can't click anything on desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't click anything on desktop: Hello all.Sometimes, I cannot click anything while using windows, including interacting with apps, minimizing/closing them, and interacting with the taskbar. The only fix for this is ctrl+alt+delete. Is there any fix for this? I've tried:DISMsfc /scannowAlso, sometimes my...
  6. Can't click anything on desktop

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. Can't create a shortcut to my desktop

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't create a shortcut to my desktop: I had download the app of Simplenote from Microsoft store. I can't create a shortcut of this app to my desktop due to I can't find the file of Simplenote in my PC. Does it have any methods to solve it?...
  8. Can't click on the anything in the desktop

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Can't click on the anything in the desktop: Was working just an hr ago after I did a refresh and somehow while I was installing my games. The desktop stopped working. I went into the event file and saw this. Any help please. Log Name: System Source: Service Control Manager Date: 1/23/2021...
  9. Can't Click On Anything In Desktop?

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't Click On Anything In Desktop?: Greetings! So I have been having this PC problem for perhaps a week or so now? One time when I awoke from sleep, when I logged in today, and then sometimes when I am using my PC. So what happens is, randomly I cannot click on any desktop icons(left click and right click...
  10. Can't create a new "anything" anywhere

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't create a new "anything" anywhere: I was trying to create a new folder in one of my file folders by pressing the button up top. I even tried using the "New Items" dropdown to try and create a bitmap image or Notepad document, but nothing happens. I tried right-clicking for those and the "New..." submenu option...