Windows 10: can't play a video on an external hard disk

Discus and support can't play a video on an external hard disk in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; It happens quite regularly that when I try to play a video on my external hard disk, a dialog pops up that states: 'The directory name is invalid'.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by GuyCruls_851, Oct 28, 2020.

1. can't play a video on an external hard disk

It happens quite regularly that when I try to play a video on my external hard disk, a dialog pops up that states:

'The directory name is invalid'.

Can this be resolved?

Many thanks

:)

GuyCruls_851, Oct 28, 2020
  2. Pavan_N Win User

Unable to play video from external hard drive Error 0x80004005

HI Josep,

Please answer these questions to assist you better.

• Are you able to watch videos which are stored in computer and online?
    • Are you able to view photos and documents etc. from hard drive?

I suggest you to install all pending Windows updates and check. Updates are additions to software that can help prevent or fix problems, improve how your computer works, or enhance your computing experience.

Follow the steps and check if that helps.

• Type Troubleshooting on Search and hit
      Enter.
    • Click on View all and click on Video playback.
    • Click on Advance and check Apply repairs automatically.
    • Follow on-screen instructions.
    By running this troubleshooter it will find and fix issue with playing movies, television and video. Do let us know if you are able to play videos from external hard drive. Thank you.

Pavan_N, Oct 28, 2020
  3. External Hard disk contents are not visible.

Hi Pranoti,

For us to narrow down your concern with your external hard disk, we would like to know the following:

• Were there any changes made on your computer prior to the issue (e.g., updates, software installation)?
    • To make sure that we have not missed on anything, what troubleshooting steps have you done so far?
    • Do you hear any clicking sound when connecting your hard disk?

In the meantime, we suggest that you update all your device driver.

We look forward to your response.

Michael Gall, Oct 28, 2020
  4. michael Win User

can't play a video on an external hard disk

Please suggest Best 4TB NAS External Hard Disk

Hi Guys,

Please suggest Best 4TB NAS External Hard Disk.

There are only two WD or Segate

What I want:-

1.USB 3.0
    2.LAN port
    3.Torrent client
    4.DLNA streaming

Please suggest if you have any experiences

Thanks.

michael, Oct 28, 2020
Thema:

can't play a video on an external hard disk

1. can't play a video on an external hard disk - Similar Threads - can't play video

2. External hard disk

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    External hard disk: Hello everyoneI'm just looking for an advice here if someone could give me a definitive answer to a question that has been bugging me for a while.I've recently bought a new external hard drive, an upgrade for my old one in terms of size and speed, the thing is by chance I've...
  3. Can't eject External Hard Disk because it is in use

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't eject External Hard Disk because it is in use: Why doesn't the laptop want to eject external drives / USBs and keeps saying they are in use even though i just plugged them in? Is there a way to eject them safely that does not require me to shutdown the laptop or turn off the antivirus?...
  4. Can't eject External Hard Disk because it is in use

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't eject External Hard Disk because it is in use: Why doesn't the laptop want to eject external drives / USBs and keeps saying they are in use even though i just plugged them in? Is there a way to eject them safely that does not require me to shutdown the laptop or turn off the antivirus?...
  5. Can't take ownership of external hard disk with W11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't take ownership of external hard disk with W11: I have an external hard drive and when i try to open it, it says access denied..when i try to see the ownership, it says unable to determine owner.When i try to change the ownership through various methods like cmd promp takeown or by going to the properties of the drive, it...
  6. Can't take ownership of external hard disk with W11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't take ownership of external hard disk with W11: I have an external hard drive and when i try to open it, it says access denied..when i try to see the ownership, it says unable to determine owner.When i try to change the ownership through various methods like cmd promp takeown or by going to the properties of the drive, it...
  7. Can't take ownership of external hard disk with W11

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  8. Can't Access VIDEOS from External Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't Access VIDEOS from External Hard Drive: Hi, So I just recently got a 5 TB external hard drive, and with the Mylio photo sharing app was able to sync all of my photos and videos together between the external hard drive, my Windows 10 laptop, and the phone itself. I have 2 issues. Firstly, if I am in the app...
  9. Can't format external hard disk

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can't format external hard disk: I do have external harddisk from toshiba company. I tried to format it but windows always responds windows was unable to complete format. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-format-external-hard-disk/04f8e492-9b46-431e-905d-812da33a1418
  10. external hard disk

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    external hard disk: external hard disk is not displaying n even not located also https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-hard-disk/62353490-2070-486b-a356-a179ff281d28