Windows 10: Cant play MP4 videos from my external hard drive

Discus and support Cant play MP4 videos from my external hard drive in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi Can anyone help me with this, I down loaded a heap of MP4 clips from my Go Pro to my lap top & to save space I then copied them to my 2TB external... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Todd H P, Feb 13, 2020.

1. Todd H P Win User

Cant play MP4 videos from my external hard drive

Hi

Can anyone help me with this, I down loaded a heap of MP4 clips from my Go Pro to my lap top & to save space I then copied them to my 2TB external hard drive. Every video only plays for 1 second & then stops. I tried copying them back to the computer desktop & still have the same issue.

They played fine before I copied them to the external hard drive.

Any idea on what I need to do to fix this. I tried playing them both thru Movie & TV as well as Windows media player

:)

Todd H P, Feb 13, 2020
  2. Pavan_N Win User

Unable to play video from external hard drive Error 0x80004005

HI Josep,

Please answer these questions to assist you better.

• Are you able to watch videos which are stored in computer and online?
    • Are you able to view photos and documents etc. from hard drive?

I suggest you to install all pending Windows updates and check. Updates are additions to software that can help prevent or fix problems, improve how your computer works, or enhance your computing experience.

Follow the steps and check if that helps.

• Type Troubleshooting on Search and hit
      Enter.
    • Click on View all and click on Video playback.
    • Click on Advance and check Apply repairs automatically.
    • Follow on-screen instructions.
    By running this troubleshooter it will find and fix issue with playing movies, television and video. Do let us know if you are able to play videos from external hard drive. Thank you.

Pavan_N, Feb 13, 2020
  3. Remon Ont Win User
    External Hard Drive

Hi John,

We suggest that you try the troubleshooting steps below:

• Open your External Hard Drive file in File Explorer.
    • Type the name of the file you want to search on the search box and click Enter.
    The file will show up in Search Results and you will be able to move it to the correct folder.

Let us know if you need further help.

Remon Ont, Feb 13, 2020
  4. twynog Win User

External hard drive not recognised

Thanks for this. I've done what you suggested and been through all the steps mentioned in the article. The hard drive works fine on a Mac computer, and I've managed to copy the information on it. It must be a Surface issue so I'll try to get a chat line tomorrow.

twynog, Feb 13, 2020
Thema:

1. Cant play MP4 videos from my external hard drive - Similar Threads - Cant play MP4

2. Play MP4 Videos copied from hard drive to Lenovo USB Flash Drives

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Play MP4 Videos copied from hard drive to Lenovo USB Flash Drives: I have Windows 7 Ultimate computer and copied MP4 videos from my hard drive to Lenovo USB flash drives that I recently purchased which are 1TB and 500GB in size. When I go to play the movies I get a pop up message saying "Windows Media Player cannot play the file. etc... This...
  3. Play MP4 Videos copied from hard drive to Lenovo USB Flash Drives

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Play MP4 Videos copied from hard drive to Lenovo USB Flash Drives: I have Windows 7 Ultimate computer and copied MP4 videos from my hard drive to Lenovo USB flash drives that I recently purchased which are 1TB and 500GB in size. When I go to play the movies I get a pop up message saying "Windows Media Player cannot play the file. etc... This...
  4. cant find my external hard drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    cant find my external hard drive: cant find my external hard drive my usb port are not reading anything except my usb mouse and all drivers are up to date https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-find-my-external-hard-drive/5d65fbed-7a01-4f18-9b38-c89579ed7d1f
  5. cant find my external hard drive

cant find my external hard drive: cant find my external hard drive my usb port are not reading anything except my usb mouse and all drivers are up to date https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-find-my-external-hard-drive/5d65fbed-7a01-4f18-9b38-c89579ed7d1f
  6. Cannot play MP4 Videos .

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot play MP4 Videos .: Ok so when i open an MP4 vid it says "the volume for a file has been externally altered so that the opened file is no longer valid" It was a video file from bandicam Screen Recorder App I tried rerinstalling the app removing folders still i cant play anything !...
  7. Cannot play MP4 Videos .

Cannot play MP4 Videos .: Ok so when i open an MP4 vid it says "the volume for a file has been externally altered so that the opened file is no longer valid" It was a video file from bandicam Screen Recorder App I tried rerinstalling the app removing folders still i cant play anything !...
  8. Viewing Video Files From External Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Viewing Video Files From External Hard Drive: I am looking to view video files on my XBOX 1 and smart TV's that I have stored on a external hard drive that is connected to my windows 10 PC. I can view the files that are on my PC from these devices but cannot view the files contained on my external hard drive. I have...
  9. Can't Access VIDEOS from External Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't Access VIDEOS from External Hard Drive: Hi, So I just recently got a 5 TB external hard drive, and with the Mylio photo sharing app was able to sync all of my photos and videos together between the external hard drive, my Windows 10 laptop, and the phone itself. I have 2 issues. Firstly, if I am in the app...
  10. Cant play MP4

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Cant play MP4: CTV footage from a garage has been recorded for me and loaded onto a USB. However I can seem to open the MP4, I understand it might be lack of codec, but how do I know what one I will need and find a safe source to download it from. Many thanks...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. videos copied from external drive wont play

2. cant play the movies in ssd drive

3. cant play mp4 ssd drive

4. New.s.s.d.mp4,
  5. cant access video on my pc external hard disc