Windows 10: Cant play MP4

Discus and support Cant play MP4 in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; CTV footage from a garage has been recorded for me and loaded onto a USB. However I can seem to open the MP4, I understand it might be lack of codec,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Technicallychallanged_253, Sep 25, 2019.

1. Cant play MP4

CTV footage from a garage has been recorded for me and loaded onto a USB. However I can seem to open the MP4, I understand it might be lack of codec, but how do I know what one I will need and find a safe source to download it from.

Many thanks

:)

Technicallychallanged_253, Sep 25, 2019
  2. Joergi Win User

Play MP4 in Media PLayer

I am using mp4 files myself. Rather heavily. The files I have use the native h264 codecs for video and also something pretty standard for audio and they work. MP4 is a container format and I vaguely remember I once had a file, that did not play.

I am not a real expert here, but you can try this:

Download the static Windows version of ffmpeg and check your mp4 file with ffprobe.exe. It will output a bunch of information about that file, including the codecs used inside it. Knowing these codecs is a first step on the way to a solution.

Joergi, Sep 25, 2019
  3. BulldogXX Win User
    Windows media player will not play mp4!

Who spends $5,000 on a computer to play .mp4s?

In any case, I have lots of .mp4s and they play well on Windows Media Player. If you've got an .mp4 that won't play, here are two suggestions:

1- download another copy of the file; and

2- ask the content provider for help.

BulldogXX, Sep 25, 2019
  4. Cant play MP4

Groove not playing/opening mp4 files

Hi Naomi,

To better assist you with your issue in Groove, we'd like to know if you were able to play mp4 files using the said player before.

Meanwhile, we suggest that you perform the steps on this
    article
    about troubleshooting Groove.

We look forward to your response.

Thank you.

Angela Pun, Sep 25, 2019
Thema:

Cant play MP4

1. Cant play MP4 - Similar Threads - Cant play MP4

2. why cant i play mp4's that are attached to an email?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    why cant i play mp4's that are attached to an email?: why cant i automatically open mp4's that are emailed to me? windows media is selected as the default for all mp's. windows 11 home https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-cant-i-play-mp4s-that-are-attached-to-an-email/ba9d1acc-e2ba-491d-84f7-bfade8c46cc3
  3. why cant i play mp4's that are attached to an email?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    why cant i play mp4's that are attached to an email?: why cant i automatically open mp4's that are emailed to me? windows media is selected as the default for all mp's. windows 11 home https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-cant-i-play-mp4s-that-are-attached-to-an-email/ba9d1acc-e2ba-491d-84f7-bfade8c46cc3
  4. Can't Play MP4's

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't Play MP4's: My computer crapped out and a new electrical box was required. Nothing else was done except a cleaning, some newer cables and the video card was relocated to the slot where it should have been installed to in the first place. When I go to open an MP3 or MP4 I get a message...
  5. Can't Play MP4's

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can't Play MP4's: My computer crapped out and a new electrical box was required. Nothing else was done except a cleaning, some newer cables and the video card was relocated to the slot where it should have been installed to in the first place. When I go to open an MP3 or MP4 I get a message...
  6. movie maker 2012 and mp4 cant import/play

in Windows 10 Gaming
    movie maker 2012 and mp4 cant import/play: i cant play any of my files or even play a mp4 on my windows 8.1 build 9299 i prove a screenshoot it a codec problem?idk i can open some mp4 normally yes i can import some mp4 but these are my intro and outro i spend alot of time so is there a error? and i can play mp3 just...
  7. movie maker 2012 and mp4 cant import/play

movie maker 2012 and mp4 cant import/play: i cant play any of my files or even play a mp4 on my windows 8.1 build 9299 i prove a screenshoot it a codec problem?idk i can open some mp4 normally yes i can import some mp4 but these are my intro and outro i spend alot of time so is there a error? and i can play mp3 just...
  8. Cannot play MP4 Videos .

Cannot play MP4 Videos .: Ok so when i open an MP4 vid it says "the volume for a file has been externally altered so that the opened file is no longer valid" It was a video file from bandicam Screen Recorder App I tried rerinstalling the app removing folders still i cant play anything !...
  9. Playing MP4 files

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Playing MP4 files: Win10 v.2012 Build 19042.685 My wife sent me one she'd revived to play on my desktop, as sound on her tablet was weak. As Windows 10 hasn't a suitable player. I installed vlc-3.0.11. The file still won't play. Will anyone, please, advise me why this is happening? 170888
  10. MP4 files will not play

MP4 files will not play: Suddenly mp4 files that have been forward to me will not play in VLC. When I click on the file I end up with this message: C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache\IE\SB53GZ50\ plus statement Invalid Value for Registery. I am not positive but it seems to have...