Windows 10: Can't Play MP4's

Discus and support Can't Play MP4's in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; My computer crapped out and a new electrical box was required. Nothing else was done except a cleaning, some newer cables and the video card was... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by FrankZmuda, Jan 27, 2022.

1. Can't Play MP4's

My computer crapped out and a new electrical box was required. Nothing else was done except a cleaning, some newer cables and the video card was relocated to the slot where it should have been installed to in the first place. When I go to open an MP3 or MP4 I get a message "windows cannot access the specific device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permission to access them". Everything else I have tried is accessible. What changed? Thanks Frank

:)

FrankZmuda, Jan 27, 2022
  2. Helmut Win User

Playing MP4 files

MP4 is a container file, a lot depends on the codecs within that.
    MP4 can be played with Windows 10 with Films & TV, Photos, Windows Media Player, and VLC.
    If those can't then there must be something odd/unusual in the file.

Right click the File > Properties > Details Tab.
    see if that gives you more info, should be some info on the video/audio but not codecs.

Try the suggestions from post #3.

You have to be careful as viruses are propogated by people simply changing the filename extension and auto-forwarding via an infected PC and a compromised address list.
    So a targeted scan with AV is necessary for every file attachement even if apparently from someone you know.

Helmut, Jan 27, 2022
  3. chipwood Win User
    chipwood, Jan 27, 2022
  4. BulldogXX Win User

Can't Play MP4's

Windows media player will not play mp4!

Who spends $5,000 on a computer to play .mp4s?

In any case, I have lots of .mp4s and they play well on Windows Media Player. If you've got an .mp4 that won't play, here are two suggestions:

1- download another copy of the file; and

2- ask the content provider for help.

BulldogXX, Jan 27, 2022
Thema:

Can't Play MP4's

1. Can't Play MP4's - Similar Threads - Can't Play MP4's

2. I can't play mp4 files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I can't play mp4 files: I have Windows 11 Pro, not N. It seems that my Windows Player doesn't display some mp4 files. When I checked what version I have, it says Windows Media Player 11 Legacy. I'd followed some links that told me to remove it and after that I'll have the option to install the new...
  3. I can't play mp4 files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I can't play mp4 files: I have Windows 11 Pro, not N. It seems that my Windows Player doesn't display some mp4 files. When I checked what version I have, it says Windows Media Player 11 Legacy. I'd followed some links that told me to remove it and after that I'll have the option to install the new...
  4. why cant i play mp4's that are attached to an email?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    why cant i play mp4's that are attached to an email?: why cant i automatically open mp4's that are emailed to me? windows media is selected as the default for all mp's. windows 11 home https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-cant-i-play-mp4s-that-are-attached-to-an-email/ba9d1acc-e2ba-491d-84f7-bfade8c46cc3
  5. why cant i play mp4's that are attached to an email?

why cant i play mp4's that are attached to an email?: why cant i automatically open mp4's that are emailed to me? windows media is selected as the default for all mp's. windows 11 home https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-cant-i-play-mp4s-that-are-attached-to-an-email/ba9d1acc-e2ba-491d-84f7-bfade8c46cc3
  6. Can't Play MP4's

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't Play MP4's: My computer crapped out and a new electrical box was required. Nothing else was done except a cleaning, some newer cables and the video card was relocated to the slot where it should have been installed to in the first place. When I go to open an MP3 or MP4 I get a message...
  7. Can't Play MP4's

Can't Play MP4's: My computer crapped out and a new electrical box was required. Nothing else was done except a cleaning, some newer cables and the video card was relocated to the slot where it should have been installed to in the first place. When I go to open an MP3 or MP4 I get a message...
  8. Playing MP4 files

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Playing MP4 files: Win10 v.2012 Build 19042.685 My wife sent me one she'd revived to play on my desktop, as sound on her tablet was weak. As Windows 10 hasn't a suitable player. I installed vlc-3.0.11. The file still won't play. Will anyone, please, advise me why this is happening? 170888
  9. Mp4's

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Mp4's: My friend is constantly sending me emails with Mp4 attachments. I have an Hp desktop running Windows 10 Pro and I use Gmail for my email using the Chrome browser. When I click on the attachmentit does the same thing if I download it I get a message that says Couldn't preview...
  10. MP4 files will not play

MP4 files will not play: Suddenly mp4 files that have been forward to me will not play in VLC. When I click on the file I end up with this message: C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache\IE\SB53GZ50\ plus statement Invalid Value for Registery. I am not positive but it seems to have...