Windows 10: Can't print a Win10 Test page/from Office 2010 but can Chrome or Edge?

Discus and support Can't print a Win10 Test page/from Office 2010 but can Chrome or Edge? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Windows version: Windows 10 v1607 (Build 10.0.14393) 64-Bit Printer: HP Deskjet 3630 with latest Windows 10 drivers from HP's website Security... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by bradavon, Feb 2, 2017.

1. bradavon Win User

Can't print a Win10 Test page/from Office 2010 but can Chrome or Edge?

Windows version: Windows 10 v1607 (Build 10.0.14393) 64-Bit
    Printer: HP Deskjet 3630 with latest Windows 10 drivers from HP's website
    Security software: Windows Defender and Windows Firewall. No 3rd party software installed.

I cannot print a Windows 10 Test page or from Word 2010/Excel 2010/Outlook 2010 but can print from Chrome and Edge?

This is a new/clean install of Windows 10, not upgraded, on a laptop originally shipped with Windows 7. Printing has never worked.

Either over Wifi or USB cable I can print from Chrome, Microsoft Edge (Internet Explorer not tested) or the HP Diagnostics software perfectly fine but cannot print a Windows 10 Test page. I've uninstalled and reinstalled the HP software/drivers:
    http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e2...pssh8jexxz.png

The Print Troubleshooter doesn't find a fault. From Excel 2010:
    http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e2...psk4oemobd.png

From Outlook 2010:
    http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e2...psghhbdwlu.png

Printing from Word 2010 and it appears to print but nothing ever shows in the Print Queue.

The only security software is what's built into Windows 10, including Windows Defender and Windows Firewall.

A side note an old HP Deskjet 5650 on USB always shows as Offline. I cannot get it to be Online. Leading me to think this is a Windows not HP issue.

Does anyone have any suggestions on why I cannot print from Desktop apps, except Chrome (Internet Explorer not tested)? Are there any processes/services etc... I should check are enabled?

Thanks

:)

bradavon, Feb 2, 2017

2. Windows 10 Printer Problems.

I had the printer problem too and tried nearly all the methods above without success. After a lot of messing around I found that I could print a test page, but when I tried to print from Office I got a printer error. I deleted Office and downloaded it
    again (Office 2010). Everything now works fine.

If you have a printer problem check if you can print a test page from the printer utility. If you can then it looks like it's an Office issue. Reloading Office worked for me.

SeanMeeghan, Feb 2, 2017
  3. Windows 10 cannot print from any app

I have the same problem and it has not gone away. I cannot print from any Office 2010 product or from any browser. In fact, I cannot find an app that I can print from.

If I go into setup both my printers (HP and Brother) both look OK and I can print a test page to both.

I need to be able to print from an app - particularly Office apps - I depend on it.

RobMacmillan, Feb 2, 2017
  4. Can't print a Win10 Test page/from Office 2010 but can Chrome or Edge?

Hi just a thought did you install all the software from the disc that came with the HP Printer and follow the instructions exactly
    Also can you print this forum page at all by going to the 3 dots top right hand corner then scroll down to Print and see if your printer recognises it

hTconeM9user, Feb 2, 2017
  5. philc43 Win User
    Go to Settings > Devices and see if you have set Windows to manage your default printer. You may find it works better if you turn this off and manually select the default printer.

Can't print a Win10 Test page/from Office 2010 but can Chrome or Edge? [​IMG]

philc43, Feb 2, 2017
  6. bradavon Win User
    Correct. I did a full install as the extra software actually looked quite useful. I even uninstalled and reinstalled it. It went without error.

I'll try. I expect it to print fine. I printed the ebay homepage (no reason, just tried that) from both Chrome and Edge without issue.

Thank you.

bradavon, Feb 5, 2017
  7. bradavon Win User
    I'm pretty sure I've turned this off as she only wants to print to one printer but I'll double check.

Could it cause this strangeness do you think? It's weird how Chrome and Edge are fine but the Windows Test Page and Office 2010 aren't.

Thanks

bradavon, Feb 5, 2017
  8. bradavon Win User

Here's what I tried earlier today:

1. There's only one HP Deskjet 3630 shown in Devices and Printers
    2. I checked Device Manager. No errors and no problems reported.
    2. I tried the HP Diagnostic tool. It said it found and fixed some problems but didn't say what they were.
    3. The latest firmware is installed.
    4. New drivers were released a few days ago (17/02) so I uninstalled and installed these, full install.
    5. I repaired Office 2010.
    6. I checked Windows wasn't managing the default printer. She only prints to one printer so setting a default is more appropriate.
    7. An older driver: I've tried two different drivers now and HP only let you download the latest version *Sad.

All of these went successfully but didn't make a difference. I can print from without a problem:

1. The included HP software, included a diagnostic information page.
    2. Internet Explorer
    3. Microsoft Edge
    4. Google Chrome
    5. MS Paint
    6. Windows 10 Photos app

I can't print from:

1. Word 2010
    2. Excel 2010
    3. PowerPoint 2010
    4. Outlook 2010
    5. The Windows 10 Print Test Page

There's not much else installed. My Mum doesn't use many apps.

Thank you in advance.

bradavon, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Can't print a Win10 Test page/from Office 2010 but can Chrome or Edge? - Similar Threads - Can't print Win10

2. Printer prints only test page

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Printer prints only test page: My printer only prints test page. I dont have enough knowledge to computer so I will explain it with the best of my experience. The printer works fine before upgrading computer but now it is not working fine. The printer prints test page but when I print using office...
  3. Printer prints only test page

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Printer prints only test page: My printer only prints test page. I dont have enough knowledge to computer so I will explain it with the best of my experience. The printer works fine before upgrading computer but now it is not working fine. The printer prints test page but when I print using office...
  4. Printer prints only test page

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. my printer prints the test page but otherwise will not print.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    my printer prints the test page but otherwise will not print.: I tried to troubleshoot but it did not find a problem, i followed the advise to restart the print spooler, but it did not help. The only change made between the time when the printer printed my docs and now when it does not print was that windows updated itself. What can I do...
  6. Consecutive print of same page using 'Microsoft Print to PDF' from chrome or Edge chromium...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Consecutive print of same page using 'Microsoft Print to PDF' from chrome or Edge chromium...: If the user tries to print a larger sized webpage or any kind of document using 'Microsoft Print to PDF', it will print that page. Again immediately print the same document while print spooler is processing the earlier print document to 'Microsoft Print to PDF'. This action...
  7. black print on test page

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    black print on test page: I just installed a printer on my new computer, but the test page has print with a black background. printer works correctly on my old computer. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/black-print-on-test-page/2891b88e-cc01-44c8-b79c-7299adbfd7d2
  8. Can't print test page to network printer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't print test page to network printer: I just got a new PC with Windows 10 OS. I've never used Windows 10 before. Anyway, I'm trying to print to a Canon MF8350Cdn color printer and am having some real problems. I've installed the latest drivers off the web and my PC can see the Canon on my local network, but when...
  9. Chrome autostart with page from win10

in Browsers and Email
    Chrome autostart with page from win10: A real nightmare for me. When I start Chrome after a Windows reboot, it often, but not always, opens with one tab with this URL: Mixer | Interactive Livestreaming I am sure I never visited mixer.com in my Chrome browser, but it might have shown up when Edge was run. This also...
  10. MS print to pdf fails from firefox, works from edge and test page

in Browsers and Email
    MS print to pdf fails from firefox, works from edge and test page: I have firefox v49 (portable version from portableapps.com) and when I choose print and select MS print to pdf, it goes through the motions but the file does not get created. I can use the test print function with success and also it worked from edge and notepad. Could it...