Windows 10: Can't put a system image on my LEXAR thumb drive...

Discus and support Can't put a system image on my LEXAR thumb drive... in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; In Windows 10, I tried to put a system image on my LEXAR 30GB USB thumb drive but Windows said I can't do that because the drive is not formatted in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Mr Mag00, Aug 12, 2016.

1. Mr Mag00 Win User

Can't put a system image on my LEXAR thumb drive...

In Windows 10, I tried to put a system image on my LEXAR 30GB USB thumb drive but Windows said I can't do that because the drive is not formatted in NTFS. So I formatted it in NTFS and now Windows says "not a valid drive."

Can anyone tell me what's happening?

Thanx. *Smile

:)

Mr Mag00, Aug 12, 2016
  2. rjsaiani Win User

After upgrading to Windows 10 I am trying to create a system image on DVD

I think all is OK, when I think about it in Windows 10 , the create a system image option goes off and creates a complete image of the C drive, programs, files, plus the Windows 10 image, I have a lot of files on my computer so to back them up on a DVD
    would take a lot of DVD's. I put the System Image on my external hard drive just fine. But I tried to also put the System Image on a USB Thumb drive but when I try it says" can not use the drive because it is not formatted with NTFS, is there anyway to get
    around that or to format the thumb drive with NTFS?

rjsaiani, Aug 12, 2016
  3. 'Mike P Win User
    System Image Question

You can put your system image onto your 1tb drive or a 128gb drive or probably into a 16 or 32gb usb thumb drive as long as the system image fits.

My windows 10 C drive is about 120gb, the C: drive used space is about 25gb but the system image made with a 3rd party tool is about 10gb and its on a 128gb thumb drive with backups to it one day per week, and also a separate backup image into the 60gb
    E: partition 2days per week. And there also is an original copy of its first system image on a 250gb SSD attached to my wifi access point.

If I were to have drive failure in my laptop, as long as the drive bought to replace it is equal to or larger than my dead drive, that system image will work to give me windows 10 back & all my files that on my dead C: Drive.

'Mike P, Aug 12, 2016
  4. cereberus Win User

Fat32 is limited to a maximum file size of 4GB. NTFS or exFat do not have this restriction.

To sort usb stick, do this

Run these commands from an admin command prompt

diskpart

list disk

select disk n (n=disk number of usb stick - usually last in list)

clean (WARNIING wipes drive - be certain you selected right disk)

create partition primary

select partition 1

format fs=ntfs quick

assign

exit

exit

USB stick will be fine now assuming stick is not faulty.

cereberus, Aug 12, 2016
  5. Mr Mag00 Win User
    I formatted the stick to NTFS and the same thing happened. Maybe there's not enough room for a sys image on that stick? It's 30GB. I'm able to drag other files onto the stick with no problem.

Mr Mag00, Aug 14, 2016
  6. Samuria Win User
    Its limited yo what you can put in the root make a folder and try saving to that

Samuria, Aug 14, 2016
  7. Berton Win User
    I just checked my System Image and to do it the process says it requires an HDD with more than 175GB free space. My boot drive is 250GB. So I'd say Yes to the question, the LEXAR drive in question is not large enough. I'd call it a rule-of-thumb to use a device with at least the same capacity of the boot/system drive [usually C:].

Berton, Aug 14, 2016
  8. Mr Mag00 Win User

Well then I'll just use my 1TB external drive for the sys image... I'll also backup my files on that drive. And I'll use the extra space on the thumb drive if I ever run out of room on the 1TB. Thanx for your help. *Smile

Mr Mag00, Aug 14, 2016
  9. Berton Win User
    I just created a Recovery Drive for one of my computers, it prompted for a drive with at least 8GB free space so I used a Verbatim USB Thumb/Flash drive of 16GB. The first try failed after formatting and prompted to check for errors, ran the error-checking then tried again and it worked, took awhile. I figured the first try that failed was because I had the drive in a USB 3.0 port, changed to a USB 2.0 port for the second try which also will be used for the booting to the Thumb drive.

Berton, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Can't put a system image on my LEXAR thumb drive... - Similar Threads - Can't put system

2. With system image on USB HDD, do I need a recovery drive on a thumb drive?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    With system image on USB HDD, do I need a recovery drive on a thumb drive?: I am using Windows 10.What is the difference in these two?I already have the complete image of C drive and system and boot partitions.In case of system failure, unable to boot, can I use that system image from the USB HDD to repair the installation or to reinstall the...
  3. With system image on USB HDD, do I need a recovery drive on a thumb drive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    With system image on USB HDD, do I need a recovery drive on a thumb drive?: I am using Windows 10.What is the difference in these two?I already have the complete image of C drive and system and boot partitions.In case of system failure, unable to boot, can I use that system image from the USB HDD to repair the installation or to reinstall the...
  4. With system image on USB HDD, do I need a recovery drive on a thumb drive?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. I can't get my system to mount and read properly my thumb drive.

I can't get my system to mount and read properly my thumb drive.: Hi, I used my thumb drive with Arch Linux I don't remember the partition I used for it, and now that I need it on Windows I tried to format it in NTFS first and ex-FAT later. I used diskpart on CMD with admin privileges.I did the following:- Listed disks- chose my thumb...
  6. I can't get my system to mount and read properly my thumb drive.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    I can't get my system to mount and read properly my thumb drive.: Hi, I used my thumb drive with Arch Linux I don't remember the partition I used for it, and now that I need it on Windows I tried to format it in NTFS first and ex-FAT later. I used diskpart on CMD with admin privileges.I did the following:- Listed disks- chose my thumb...
  7. Unable to transfer images from my computer to a thumb drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to transfer images from my computer to a thumb drive: "Please update device settings to accept media transfers" is the message that shows up when I plug any thumb drive in to any port. I have used the exact drives in the past with no issues. I have run diagnostics which have come back clean. I'm a photographer and transferring...
  8. Unable to transfer images from my computer to a thumb drive

Unable to transfer images from my computer to a thumb drive: "Please update device settings to accept media transfers" is the message that shows up when I plug any thumb drive in to any port. I have used the exact drives in the past with no issues. I have run diagnostics which have come back clean. I'm a photographer and transferring...
  9. System image to thumb drive not working

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    System image to thumb drive not working: So overall, I was having a issue with creating a system image. It would state that "The specified backup storage location has the shadow copy storage on another volume (0x80780038)" After reading several forums I found that if you delete the restore points you are able to...
  10. System cannot find hard drive to put system image on

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    System cannot find hard drive to put system image on: Greetings, I have a new rig. I want to make a backup system image to another drive (3Gb SATA). It works well (gaming drive). And is "seen" by Win 10 in File Explorer and otherwise works. But the system backup windows cannot find it. I hit the refresh option and it does...