Windows 10: Can't put any shortcut/file/folder into specific place on desktop.

Discus and support Can't put any shortcut/file/folder into specific place on desktop. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have a strange problem, I can't put any shortcut/file/folder into specific place on desktop. That problem appeared after reinstalling my PC. I tried... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by DeividasX, Jun 2, 2017.

1. DeividasX Win User

Can't put any shortcut/file/folder into specific place on desktop.

I have a strange problem, I can't put any shortcut/file/folder into specific place on desktop. That problem appeared after reinstalling my PC. I tried sfc /scannow but no results.
    Can't put any shortcut/file/folder into specific place on desktop. [​IMG]

:)

DeividasX, Jun 2, 2017

2. Can't put any shortcut/file/folder into specific place on desktop.

You are giving me useless answers.

DeividasNastajus, Jun 2, 2017
  3. Jose Est Win User

Hi Deividas,

Your concern is quite unique, were there changes made recently on your PC?

Have you tried playing with the view options for your desktop?

Here are the steps you can try for you to be able to position your shortcut icons to your desired location on your desktop:

• Right-click on your desktop and hoover your mouse on View.
    • Uncheck Auto arrange icons and Align icons to grid.
    • Try putting your shortcut to your desired location on your desktop.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Jose Est, Jun 2, 2017
  4. Berton Win User

First thing I'd do is right-click the desktop/screen, choose View and pick something to change how the icons are lined up, especially if you can't add something to a different place like in the middle of the screen. Maybe turning the icons off then back on will refresh its 'mind'.

Berton, Jun 2, 2017
  5. DeividasX Win User
    Does not work...

DeividasX, Jun 2, 2017
  6. DeividasX Win User
    But it stops happening when I set icons to medium not small, but medium is too large for me...

DeividasX, Jun 2, 2017
  7. Berton Win User
    What is your screen resolution? Also, have you customized things to where text and icons are not at default, maybe 125% or 150%?

Berton, Jun 2, 2017
  8. DeividasX Win User

My resolution is 1280x1024 and my scale is 100%

DeividasX, Jun 2, 2017
  9. pepanee Win User
    Right click in the center of that red box you drew. Does the right click menu look like it has a "Delete" selection? If so, press the Delete with your mouse and see what ends up in the trash can.

Or right click in an empty space on the Desktop > View > uncheck Auto arrange items if it's checked.

pepanee, Jun 3, 2017
  10. DeividasX Win User
    No results.

DeividasX, Jun 3, 2017
  11. Edwin New Member
    Is that as high as your resolution goes? (Recommended) Cuz your wallpaper doesn't look like its filled properly.

Edwin, Jun 3, 2017
  12. Bree New Member
    Is that as high as your resolution goes? (Recommended) Cuz your wallpaper doesn't look like its filled properly. It looks correct for a 4:3 screen, that wallpaper is designed to fit a 16:9 screen.

13. Edwin New Member

Yeah. I was hoping! *Wink

The OP will need to hold Ctrl key and scroll down one more mouse wheel increment.

Edwin, Jun 3, 2017
  14. DeividasX Win User
    My max/recommended is 1280x1024

DeividasX, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Can't put any shortcut/file/folder into specific place on desktop. - Similar Threads - Can't put shortcut

2. Can't delete any file or folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't delete any file or folder: Hello everyone! I am facing some serious issues with my Windows 10.0.19044 Pro, build 19044 Version 21H2. When I try to delete, copy, cut or paste any file, the windows explorer crashes and the file keeps unchanged. This happens in any folder and if I try using ADM...
  3. Specific Shortcuts on Desktops - Is this possible?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Specific Shortcuts on Desktops - Is this possible?: So, I LOVE the idea of having different virtual desktops, but the idea is defeated when they all show the same shortcuts.I have a desktop for my business, my work, and my personal accounts sorry - I do use google personal, one drive for work, I have shortcuts to documents...
  4. Specific Shortcuts on Desktops - Is this possible?

Specific Shortcuts on Desktops - Is this possible?: So, I LOVE the idea of having different virtual desktops, but the idea is defeated when they all show the same shortcuts.I have a desktop for my business, my work, and my personal accounts sorry - I do use google personal, one drive for work, I have shortcuts to documents...
  5. Placing A Shortcut To A Web Page On Desktop ?

in Windows 10 Support
    Placing A Shortcut To A Web Page On Desktop ?: Hello, I have opened up a simple web page that I would like to save a Shortcut (or other Link to) so I can get to it very easily directly from my Desktop. The little icon to the left of the address seems to be a "lock", and I can't drag it anywhere. See: CubicSDR - The...
  6. Desktop Shortcuts & Files Not Being Placed at End of Grid/Column

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop Shortcuts & Files Not Being Placed at End of Grid/Column: Normally I download things to the desktop for easy access, but for the past few weeks I've been having this issue where every so often a file I save to the desktop will appear in the "middle" of the first left most column of shortcut icons. This then shifts all icons below it...
  7. How to put a website shortcut onto desktop?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to put a website shortcut onto desktop?: Friend trying to put icon from a website on her desktop for easy access. On my computer you just highlight URL and drag to desktop. Hers won't do it! Brand new computer, so I'm assuming latest MS OS. Somebody tell me we're just dorks and it's easy to do! ***Modified...
  8. Can't put an image on a folder in File Explorer

Can't put an image on a folder in File Explorer: In File Explorer I right-click a folder and select Properties. In the Customise tab, under Choose a file to show on this folder icon, I select Choose file. I navigate to my Pictures folder and select an image and then click on Apply and OK. And nothing happens, the folder is...
  9. How to put any shortcut / folder in Windows 10 Navigation Pane

How to put any shortcut / folder in Windows 10 Navigation Pane: Is there a way to customize Navigation Pane folders in order to remove unnecessary folders and add desired folders and shortcuts in Windows 10 Pro.? 12600
  10. How to put shortcuts to websites on the desktop?

How to put shortcuts to websites on the desktop?: Does anyone know how to do this? With Internet Explorer you simply dragged the site icon in the title bar to the desktop, but I can't seem to do this with Edge.*Sad 11027