Windows 10: Can't raise refresh rate monitor is seen as generic

Discus and support Can't raise refresh rate monitor is seen as generic in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; Hello, My monitor is an LG 24GM77. It is capable of refresh rates as high as 144hz. Since the last time i formatted i can't switch to modes higher than... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by americanu197, Jan 20, 2019.

1. Can't raise refresh rate monitor is seen as generic

Hello,
    My monitor is an LG 24GM77. It is capable of refresh rates as high as 144hz.
    Since the last time i formatted i can't switch to modes higher than 60hz.
    I have the driver and i installed it.
    Nvidia control panel recognizes the monitor model but doesn't offer refresh rates higher than 60hz ( my card is ASUS GTX 970 turbo )
    If i go to the windows display settings window, i cant click on advanced monitor settings, the monitor model is recognized up to this point.
    But when i click on "display adapter properties" it opens up the little properties window and it says Generic PNP monitor and i cant get modes higher than 60hz.
    Windows generic driver update utility doesnt help either.
    Please help

:)

americanu197, Jan 20, 2019

2. Refresh rate Problem

Hi Robert,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

Screen refresh rate is the rate at which the data displayed on screen is refreshed; it may be an image or some text document. Most of the users would like to set it to a higher rate but this also depends on the capacity of graphic
    card and monitors. If the refresh rate is slow, the images on the display looks as flickering to the user eye and makes it uncomfortable to work.

Nowadays the latest monitors available in market will have minimum 60 Hz of refresh rate and it is very good option to set it to 70 Hz if you your monitor is compatible. Normally a high performance or quality monitors can reach
    120 Hz of refresh rate. So I would suggest you to set your monitor refresh rate as higher as possible, below given steps describes how to access this feature on your Windows 8.1/10 PC.

• The default refresh rate setting is 60 Hertz (HZ); however, your monitor may support a higher setting. Check your manufacturer's documentation for information about the settings that your monitor supports.
    • If you use a higher refresh rate, you can reduce the rate that your screen flickers; however, if you specify a refresh rate that is too high for your monitor, your screen may become unusable and your hardware may be damaged.
    • Changes to the refresh rate affect all users that log on to the computer.
    I would, as of now, suggest you to visit the computer manufacturer's support website and install the latest display and chipset drivers available for the latest operating system (currently it would be 8.1 in the list).

Hope this information is helpful. Please feel free to reply in case you face any other issues with Windows in future.

Niranjan Manjhi, Jan 20, 2019
  3. How do I delete or disable a specific monitor refresh rate ?

Hello Cyntil,

We realize your requirement in this regard.

Generally, you can only adjust the refresh rate of your monitor on Windows 10. The default refresh rate setting is 60 Hertz (HZ); however, your monitor may support a higher setting. Check your manufacturer's documentation for information about the settings
    that your monitor supports. If you use a higher refresh rate, you can reduce the rate that your screen flickers; however, if you specify a refresh rate that is too high for your monitor, your screen may become unusable and your hardware may be damaged. Changes
    to the refresh rate affect all users that log on to the computer.

Sadly, we don't have an option to delete or disable this feature on Windows 10, instead you can change it to different value. To get started,

• Right-click on Start and select Control Panel.
    • Click Appearance and Personalization, and then click Display.
    • On the left pane, click Adjust resolution. Then click
      Advanced settings.
    • Click the Monitor tab, and then click the screen refresh rate that you want to use.
    Keep posted if you require further assistance.

Thank you.

Yashwanth Kotakuri, Jan 20, 2019
  4. Brink Win User

Can't raise refresh rate monitor is seen as generic

Brink, Jan 20, 2019
Thema:

Can't raise refresh rate monitor is seen as generic

1. Can't raise refresh rate monitor is seen as generic - Similar Threads - Can't raise refresh

2. monitor goes black after raising refresh rate

in Windows 10 Gaming
    monitor goes black after raising refresh rate: I have raised my refresh rate to 144Hz and my monitor went black and i cant access my pc except UEFI BIOS utility screen. Please help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/monitor-goes-black-after-raising-refresh-rate/0f0ff617-a3a2-4e3d-8c5f-520737b48fb8
  3. monitor goes black after raising refresh rate

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    monitor goes black after raising refresh rate: I have raised my refresh rate to 144Hz and my monitor went black and i cant access my pc except UEFI BIOS utility screen. Please help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/monitor-goes-black-after-raising-refresh-rate/0f0ff617-a3a2-4e3d-8c5f-520737b48fb8
  4. Monitor Refresh Rate/Hz

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Monitor Refresh Rate/Hz: I got a really expensive monitor a few months ago and have kind of avoided a problem with changing the Hz. Now that I’m starting to notice it more, I figured it’s about time to get it fixed. Basically, whenever I try to change the refresh rate in settings, it says it had...
  5. Can't change monitor refresh rate

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can't change monitor refresh rate: I have just bought a new 240hz monitor and whenever I try to change its refresh rate to anything higher or lower it goes black screen and reverts back to 60hz....
  6. Monitor refresh rate

in Windows 10 Customization
    Monitor refresh rate: Hello community, I have a question regarding the monitor hz. I have a laptop with a 144hz monitor and I want to reduce it to 120hz. But when I go to the monitor settings it shows two options: 144hz and 60hz. Why isn't there a 120hz option and how can I fix it?...
  7. Can't raise refresh rate monitor is seen as generic

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can't raise refresh rate monitor is seen as generic: Hello, My monitor is an LG 24GM77. It is capable of refresh rates as high as 144hz. Since the last time i formatted i can't switch to modes higher than 60hz. I have the driver and i installed it. Nvidia control panel recognizes the monitor model but doesn't offer refresh...
  8. Different refresh rates for monitors

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Different refresh rates for monitors: https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/7h9bnu/psafor_people_with_dual_monitors_with_different/ Has this even been fixed yet? Needs to be fixed especially for G-sync users "It's because of windows desktop manager. It always runs in vsync. On windows 7 you could...
  9. monitor refresh rate

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    monitor refresh rate: on windows 10, i am having trouble finding the monitor's refresh rate. i get an error message that says it should be 60Hz. 113436
  10. Generic PnP Monitor causing low resolution and refresh rates

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Generic PnP Monitor causing low resolution and refresh rates: Hi, This problem is driving me absolutely crazy. I have a gift PC with a totally fresh Windows 10 install. I junked my old computer and plugged the new PC into my old monitor. And that's when the problems started. Now, before you jump down my throat, I have a NVIDIA...