Windows 10: Can't re-activate windows 10 on new hardware

Discus and support Can't re-activate windows 10 on new hardware in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I recently built a new PC from scratch (aside from keeping the same HDDs), and everything is the same as it was on the old hardware. Except, I can't... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Breembin, Sep 22, 2018.

1. Breembin Win User

Can't re-activate windows 10 on new hardware

I recently built a new PC from scratch (aside from keeping the same HDDs), and everything is the same as it was on the old hardware. Except, I can't seem to activate my license of Windows 10 again. This version of W10 that I had was a free upgrade from Windows 8. I have a laptop tied with the same account that has an OEM version of 10 on it, but that hasn't affected anything so far. Unless Windows is trying to pull the OEM license (which I read is NON-transferable), then I don't understand why this is such a difficult task.

I have signed it to the account that is bound to this free upgrade. I have ran the troubleshooter many times, and have specified the EXACT SAME PC that I am using (except with new hardware), and for some reason Windows keeps saying it is having issues activating windows. I really don't want to get charged $120 on top of a new $2,000 build for a OS that I already own on multiple systems.

Also, once I signed in Windows pulled customization settings (profile picture, background, theme, etc.) from the laptop with OEM W10 on it. If Windows really is trying to pull the OEM version (which it shouldn't), how can I fix this? I just want to be able to change my theme / wallpaper again without paying $120...

:)

Breembin, Sep 22, 2018
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Sep 22, 2018
  3. Windows 10 and new hardware

Hi,

We've released an article that discusses activation in Windows 10. We suggest that you visit this
    link and follow the troubleshooting steps provided under the
    Activating Windows 10 after a hardware configuration change section.

Feel free to get back to us if you need further assistance.

Jamille Nar, Sep 22, 2018
  4. Can't re-activate windows 10 on new hardware

activating windows 10 after hardware upgrade

hi

trying to activate windows 10 after hardware update but it keeps saying no

i followed the troubleshooter steps but something goes wrong and it just says oops try again later...

any suggestions?

Thanks

tristonhampson, Sep 22, 2018
Thema:

Can't re-activate windows 10 on new hardware

1. Can't re-activate windows 10 on new hardware - Similar Threads - Can't activate hardware

2. Can't activate windows on new hardware

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't activate windows on new hardware: I can't activate windows 10 after hardware change. I recently changed my motherboard and installed a new windows system on a NVMe, i therefore have two windows systems old on SSD - new on NVMe, but on the same microsoft account. When i try to "re-activate" windows it doesn't...
  3. Can't activate windows on new hardware

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't activate windows on new hardware: I can't activate windows 10 after hardware change. I recently changed my motherboard and installed a new windows system on a NVMe, i therefore have two windows systems old on SSD - new on NVMe, but on the same microsoft account. When i try to "re-activate" windows it doesn't...
  4. Can't activate windows on new hardware

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
  5. Can't re-activate windows after replacing hardware.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't re-activate windows after replacing hardware.: Hi MS,Please check why I can't re-activate my windows after replacing HW mainboard and cpu. I can see new device in my MS account, however it's not active in windows settings. Kindly advise troubleshoot steps. Thank you!...
  6. Changed to new Hardware, cannot re-activate windows

Changed to new Hardware, cannot re-activate windows: Hello, I have a system that has Windows 10 Pro installed, I recently had to change out the Motherboard/CPU cause they stopped working. My hard drive was still intact, but because I changed out these major hardware components it thinks I am on a new system. Far as I know,...
  7. Can't re-activate Windows after Hardware change

Can't re-activate Windows after Hardware change: Hi, As I've said in the title I recently changed my processor from my old Intel into a new AMD, therefore I had to change my mother board as well. Everything was running fine last night until this morning when I turned on my PC the watermark to have Windows Active was there,...
  8. Windows 10 Re-Activation on new hardware

Windows 10 Re-Activation on new hardware: Dear all, I was forced to change my motherboard and PSU today(Everything else is the same) as they were both damaged. Upon returning home I just noticed that it says I have to reactivate Windows. I got this pc with Windows 8.1 and when 10 was released I got the free...
  9. Can't re-activate windows after hardware change.

Can't re-activate windows after hardware change.: I have recently changed my CPU and GPU and i'm being told i need to reactivate windows but when i enter my product key it tells me it is invalid....
  10. Windows 10 re-activation with new hardware

Windows 10 re-activation with new hardware: Hi, A question about upgrading to Windows 10. Before the free year expires, if I upgrade to Windows 10 from existing Windows 8 Retail on my current PC, upgrade it (new M/B, CPU etc) and then install existing Windows 8 Retail on the new setup, will I still be able to...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. cant activate windows 10 on new hardware

2. new hardware cant activate windows

3. cant activate windows on new hardware