Windows 10: Can't re-activate windows 10 pro after hardware upgrade

Discus and support Can't re-activate windows 10 pro after hardware upgrade in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hi, Hoping I can get a bit of help. I replaced my motherboard and cpu and even though I had a digital licence linked to my Microsoft account, I now... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by calgacus7937, Oct 29, 2019.

1. Can't re-activate windows 10 pro after hardware upgrade

Hi,

Hoping I can get a bit of help. I replaced my motherboard and cpu and even though I had a digital licence linked to my Microsoft account, I now can't re-activate windows. I get the error: 'Something prevented us from communicating with our activation servers. Wait a few minutes and then try again. Error code: 0x87E10BCF.'

When I click 'troubleshoot' and select 'I changed hardware...' it does show up my computer but when I select it and click to activate it just says it's unable to activate on this device!

Any help greatly appreciated!

:)

calgacus7937, Oct 29, 2019
  2. Kolby65 Win User

Activating Windows 10 Pro After a Hardware Upgrade!

I followed all the steps to linking my Windows 10 Pro to my Microsoft account so that I could upgrade my hardware, reinstall Windows 10 Pro, and activate it, but it's not working. I'm signed into my Microsoft account. I tried the activation troubleshooter,
    selecing that I recently changed hardware, etc. Nothing is working. I can see my old computer under my Microsoft account, as well as my new one (with better hardware). I changed the motherboard, ram, and CPU. Any suggestions would be wonderful.

Kolby65, Oct 29, 2019
  3. Can't upgrade from Windows 10 Home to Pro

Hi Bill,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. We apologize for the inconvenience caused and will assist you in the best possible ways.

I suggest you to download and create an installation media for Windows 10 Pro form the link provided below:

Download Windows 10

After the installation media is created, suggest you to upgrade to Windows 10 Pro from the installation media. When the upgrade asks for product key, enter the product key purchased for Windows 10 Pro. If it does not accept, suggest you to skip the activation
    step. After the Operating System is installed, suggest you to activate by phone by following the steps below:

• Press “Windows key + R” and type “slui 4” and press Enter.
    • Select the Region from the list and click Next.
    • Call the Toll-Free number provided on top and can activate via phone.

Hope this helps. Keep us posted on the status for further assistance.

Eeshwar Kumar, Oct 29, 2019
  4. Nordic Win User

Can't re-activate windows 10 pro after hardware upgrade

Windows 10 upgrade problem, no input accepted

I really hate having to come here and ask for help, but I really am stumped. It hurts my geek pride. I have a PC with fairly modern hardware in it. It has a p8p67 pro in it. I have tried upgrading windows 10 on it twice now. Both times I have had the same result.

After windows finishes upgrading it goes to the log in/set up screen. I can't do anything. No keyboard or mouse input is accepted.

I will list some, or hopefully all, of the troubleshooting steps I have tried:
    • Move keyboard and mouse to different USB ports.
    • Try different keyboard or mouse.
    • Restart computer, repeatedly.
    • Google for related issues.
    • Update Bios, because why not.
    • Create boot media and revert to windows 7.
    The windows 10 system restore boot media works fine with keyboard and mouse. All USB ports work in windows 7. I don't know what is wrong. I suspect that windows 10 is lacking a driver of some sort, but since the computer accepts no input I have no way of checking for which driver let alone installing it.

Please help me figure this out. If I have to revert back to windows 7 again, I am not going to get it upgraded to windows 10. Thank you in advanced.

Nordic, Oct 29, 2019
Thema:

Can't re-activate windows 10 pro after hardware upgrade

1. Can't re-activate windows 10 pro after hardware upgrade - Similar Threads - Can't activate pro

2. Re-Activation failing on Windows 11 Pro after upgrading hardware

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Re-Activation failing on Windows 11 Pro after upgrading hardware: I upgraded the hardware in my machine over the weekend then tried to re-activate Windows 11 Pro. It is was a digital license from years ago. It failed, the troubleshooting failed and then I selected "I changed the hardware...", selected the machine from the list of options-...
  3. Re-Activation failing on Windows 11 Pro after upgrading hardware

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Re-Activation failing on Windows 11 Pro after upgrading hardware: I upgraded the hardware in my machine over the weekend then tried to re-activate Windows 11 Pro. It is was a digital license from years ago. It failed, the troubleshooting failed and then I selected "I changed the hardware...", selected the machine from the list of options-...
  4. Re-Activation after hardware upgrade not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Re-Activation after hardware upgrade not working: I build my computer over a decade ago. I had upgraded from XP to 7 pro, to 8 pro, to 10 pro. The issue I have is that I had a working computer last week. I decided to upgrade my 6-year-old computer to a new motherboard/CPU/Memory because it was time.Saturday I bought a new...
  5. Re-Activation after hardware upgrade not working

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Re-Activation after hardware upgrade not working: I build my computer over a decade ago. I had upgraded from XP to 7 pro, to 8 pro, to 10 pro. The issue I have is that I had a working computer last week. I decided to upgrade my 6-year-old computer to a new motherboard/CPU/Memory because it was time.Saturday I bought a new...
  6. Re-activating free windows 10 upgrade after hardware upgrade

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Re-activating free windows 10 upgrade after hardware upgrade: Hi, I upgraded to W10 way back when the free upgrade was being offered. I recently got a new PC but kept my existing SSD with W10 on. It's suddenly decided my copy of W10 isn't activated/genuine. I've read through all the guides and done all the recommended troubleshooting...
  7. Windows 10 re-activation after hardware upgrade

Windows 10 re-activation after hardware upgrade: I purchased a retail copy of Windows 7 many years ago and upgraded to Windows 10 when it was offered, which granted me a digital license. Recently, I upgraded my motherboard and CPU. But, before I did this I linked my upgraded Windows 10 to my Microsoft account so that after...
  8. Re-activate Windows 10 pro after hardware change

Re-activate Windows 10 pro after hardware change: II had an HP 850 G2, which expired, but I salvaged the SSD and put it in an 850 G1, but I cannot re-activate windows 10 pro Can anyone help, please ? I have the license key etc....
  9. Activating Windows 10 Pro After a Hardware Upgrade!

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Activating Windows 10 Pro After a Hardware Upgrade!: I followed all the steps to linking my Windows 10 Pro to my Microsoft account so that I could upgrade my hardware, reinstall Windows 10 Pro, and activate it, but it's not working. I'm signed into my Microsoft account. I tried the activation troubleshooter, selecing that I...
  10. Re activate windows 10 Pro after hardware change

Re activate windows 10 Pro after hardware change: I changed my motherboard cpu and ram today and can't reactivate windows 10. Image below is my activation screen in settings. My product key appears to be correct based on the last few digits that is shows and what i have written down in my files before i changed hardware....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. win 10 pro something prevented us from communicating with our activation servers