Windows 10: Can't re-enable Win Defender

Discus and support Can't re-enable Win Defender in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I disabled Win Defender in order to troubleshoot Thunderbird. I can't re-enable, because the option is now greyed-out - see screenshot. Please advise... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by OldGrantonian, May 8, 2019.

1. Can't re-enable Win Defender

I disabled Win Defender in order to troubleshoot Thunderbird.

I can't re-enable, because the option is now greyed-out - see screenshot.

Please advise me how to re-enable Win Def.

Thanks.

:)

OldGrantonian, May 8, 2019
  2. Rose Cal Win User

Windows defender is not going to enable manually....

Hi,

Windows Defender Antivirus works help protect your device by scanning for malicious or unwanted software and uses real-time protection to scan everything you download or run on your device. To efficiently assist you, we'd like to gather more information:

• What is the exact error message you received?
    • Are you able to use Windows Defender before?

Meanwhile, we suggest that you follow the steps in this article on how to turn on/off Windows Defender.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Rose Cal, May 8, 2019
  3. John Fer Win User
    I want to enable Windows Defender

Hello,

This issue might be caused by system conflict. For us to know more, please answer the following:

• Can you provide us the result of SFC?
    • Are you getting any error messages?

Also, we suggest checking this article to know more on how to enable Windows Defender.

Get back to us and keep us updated.

John Fer, May 8, 2019
  4. Can't re-enable Win Defender

How reinstall windows defender

Hello LucianN1, my name is Irisdiel and I am an independent advisor.

I suggest you follow the instructions down below.

Step 1: Enable Windows defender from control panel

1. Press Windows + X, Click on control panel.

2. On right top corner click on View and then choose large items.

3. Now from the list click on Windows Defender and try to enable it.

If not try to enable it from services.

Step 2: Enable Window defender from services.msc.

1. Press Windows + R, to open run prompt.

2. Type services.msc and press enter to open services list.

3. Under services look from Windows defender service and start the service.

I also suggest you refer to the link down below.

URL:
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/for...

Hope this helps!

Thank you and good luck,

Regards- .

Irisdiel H, May 8, 2019
Thema:

Can't re-enable Win Defender

1. Can't re-enable Win Defender - Similar Threads - Can't enable Defender

2. Windows Defender disabled, and not re-enabling.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Defender disabled, and not re-enabling.: I was using bitdefender for a while, but now i uninstalled it. even after uninstalling it, my default windows defender is not working. Its showing "this page has been blocked by your IT Admin....." this only happend when some other Antivirus is installed! but i don't have...
  3. Windows Defender disabled, and not re-enabling.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Defender disabled, and not re-enabling.: I was using bitdefender for a while, but now i uninstalled it. even after uninstalling it, my default windows defender is not working. Its showing "this page has been blocked by your IT Admin....." this only happend when some other Antivirus is installed! but i don't have...
  4. Can't enable windows defender.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Can't enable windows defender.: I went into Windows Security -> Virus and threat protection, it only says "No active antivirus provider", and nothing else. In settings > Security providers, it says Microsoft Defender Antivirus is turned off.I dont have any other antivirus programs, and i havent touched the...
  5. Can't disable Windows Defender after re enabling it

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't disable Windows Defender after re enabling it: I enabled Windows Defender to scan some files. Now when I try to disable it by writing 1 to DisableAntiSpyware I get error writing value's new contents. I have tamper protection disabled and also tried using Group Policy but also didn't work. My laptop runs slower and heats...
  6. Can't re-enable windows defender interface after uninstalling Norton

Can't re-enable windows defender interface after uninstalling Norton: I have followed all the steps here https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/protect_defender-protect_start/problems-starting-windows-defender-in-windows/808253bb-db89-4db9-a4e5-1c91a86489e9 . When i did the last step of adding the "DisableAntiSpyware" to x00000000...
  7. Cant re enable windows defender.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cant re enable windows defender.: [IMG] Originally there was the problem that my virus protection was run by my organization (dont have one) so I deleted the disableantispyware thing in regedit and now when i go to restart the antivirus there is an error. Now I cant enable both of these services and I cant...
  8. Re-enable Windows Defender Service

Re-enable Windows Defender Service: I'm not sure how it happened but in my attempt to disable windows defender I got it disabled but when I try to re-enable it it says I don't have permission to do that. I could not disable the services via services.msc so I used autoruns and was able to disable it from there....
  9. Windows Defender Disabled and wont re enable

Windows Defender Disabled and wont re enable: So heres the deal. A little while ago, my windows security center started acting up. It keeps giving me a message that my access has been limited ( see attached screenshots) Ive tried everything i can think of short of gpedit (windows home so i aint got access) Ive used...
  10. How to re-enable Windows Defender?

How to re-enable Windows Defender?: I was trying to help someone who was recently scammed. One thing they did to the computer was disable Windows Defender. When I opened the main screen where you usually see "Your device is being protected", I see a blank screen. I noticed in Services, Windows Defender Security...