Windows 10: Can't reactivate/upgrade Windows

Discus and support Can't reactivate/upgrade Windows in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; So, this story starts a while back I first got a Windows 7 laptop, then I upgraded to Windows 10 for free when it came out. I then got a cheap... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by cooltop101, Jun 6, 2019.

1. Can't reactivate/upgrade Windows

So, this story starts a while back

I first got a Windows 7 laptop, then I upgraded to Windows 10 for free when it came out. I then got a cheap desktop, swapped out the hard drive and had to reactivate Windows 10. Now I have a more expensive desktop, with everything new because my old desktop stopped working, I was able to recover the key and activated my new desktop just fine. To end this story, my motherboard broke and I had to get a replacement. When I set everything, Windows deactivated itself, I went through troubleshoot menu and said I changed hardware but it said it couldn't reactivate it, I called the Microsoft support and they basically said I have to have the original Windows 7 key (which I obviously don't have) or have to buy a new key. I then learned my school provides free Windows 10 Education Edition keys so I got one of those and tried activating it using that key, it said I needed to upgrade Windows and it would restart, so I said ok, and a couple hours later it was back up but still said it wasn't activated, I tried 2 more times and both after several hours of it "upgrading" it still said it wasn't activated

:)

cooltop101, Jun 6, 2019
  2. Boyfriend Win User

Does Windows 7 require reactivation if...

He is using AMD already. He wants downgrading to AM3. Don't know why??

If you change HDD + RAM simultaneously, Windows 7 needs to be reactivated. Only HDD cloning shouldn't require reactivation. As you are changing mobo + HDD (prehaps RAM upgrade too), you will surely require reactivation. If you have genuine license, you should reinstall OS (you might use Windows Easy Transfer). If you don't want to reinstall, you need to uninstall HDD, interfaces/system devices, and numerous other drivers (USB, HID, Portable devices, etc.), else your OS will be unstable.
    I will highly recommend to reinstall Windows 7 and enjoy your migration.

A simple trick might be like this to avoid reactivation:
    1. Clone your HDD first and boot into Windows
    2. Use it for at least one week
    3. Replace mobo only without any other hardware change/upgrade and boot
    4. Use it for at least one week
    5. Do any other upgrade (RAM, Graphic card etc.)

Don't do two simultaneous downgrades/upgrades to avoid reactivation.

Boyfriend, Jun 6, 2019
  3. kg4icg Win User
    Does Windows 7 require reactivation if...

Then why does it say fs/ft i7-920 in his tag and he wants to downgrade to am3 system? to go from a am2/2+ to am3 isn't a downgrade last time I checked

kg4icg, Jun 6, 2019
  4. Can't reactivate/upgrade Windows

windows xp installation and dual core am

could someone please list the steps they follow to install windows with a dual core processor and windows xp service pack to. I'm reletively new to amd dual core and i feel i'm missing a step. All help will be appreciated. thanx

exodusprime1337, Jun 6, 2019
Thema:

Can't reactivate/upgrade Windows

1. Can't reactivate/upgrade Windows - Similar Threads - Can't reactivate upgrade

2. Can't reactivate Windows 11 after PC Upgrade

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't reactivate Windows 11 after PC Upgrade: Hello. Today I upgraded the hardware of my pc and I'm trying to reactivate windows 11, but I can't. The error code I see at the Activation page on settings is 0xC004F213. When I click to troubleshoot, the troubleshooter completes but it wasn't able to activate windows. So at...
  3. Can't reactivate Windows 11 after PC Upgrade

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't reactivate Windows 11 after PC Upgrade: Hello. Today I upgraded the hardware of my pc and I'm trying to reactivate windows 11, but I can't. The error code I see at the Activation page on settings is 0xC004F213. When I click to troubleshoot, the troubleshooter completes but it wasn't able to activate windows. So at...
  4. Can't reactivate Windows 11 after PC upgrade

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't reactivate Windows 11 after PC upgrade: Dear all,I have a system upgrade then windows ask me to re-activate my Windows. As a upgrade, from Windows 8-> 10 -> 11, it seems to be unable to reactivate the Windows 11 now.I hope I can get help here...Kind Regards,Vincent...
  5. Can't reactivate Windows 11 after PC upgrade

Can't reactivate Windows 11 after PC upgrade: Dear all,I have a system upgrade then windows ask me to re-activate my Windows. As a upgrade, from Windows 8-> 10 -> 11, it seems to be unable to reactivate the Windows 11 now.I hope I can get help here...Kind Regards,Vincent...
  6. Can't reactivate Windows 11 after PC upgrade

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't reactivate Windows 11 after PC upgrade: I just upgraded my motherboard and cpu and I can't seem to activate Windows 11 even though I had the digital licence linked to my account.I run the activation troubleshooter, than I selected that I changed my hardware but when I select a device and click activate I get "...
  7. Can't reactivate Windows 11 after PC upgrade

Can't reactivate Windows 11 after PC upgrade: I just upgraded my motherboard and cpu and I can't seem to activate Windows 11 even though I had the digital licence linked to my account.I run the activation troubleshooter, than I selected that I changed my hardware but when I select a device and click activate I get "...
  8. Hardware upgrade, can't reactivate windows.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Hardware upgrade, can't reactivate windows.: Back in 2013-14, I built a new rig and purchased a copy of Windows 8.1. I received my free copy of Windows 10 back in 2018 for having a registered copy of 8.1, and yesterday I purchased some new hardware motherboard, processor, and RAM. After getting the hardware installed,...
  9. Can't reactivate windows

Can't reactivate windows: So, I purchased a windows key recently, and put it on my computer. Since I changed the hardware windows deactivated. My account has windows digital license connected to it, so I went for the troubleshoot option. When the text said reactivate windows on this device I clicked...
  10. Can't Reactivate Windows

Can't Reactivate Windows: After reinstalling windows, I keep getting a blank activation screen in settings, which prevents me from troubleshooting or seeing what is wrong with windows. In settings home, it keeps telling me "Windows isn't activated. Activate Windows now." Which keeps bringing me back...