Windows 10: Can't reactivate Windows 10 after changing motherboard. Troubleshooter gives "Something...

Discus and support Can't reactivate Windows 10 after changing motherboard. Troubleshooter gives "Something... in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I recently swapped to a new motherboard and cpu, however I cannot activate windows again. Running through the troubleshooter, I hit the "I recently... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Double444, Jun 30, 2019.

1. Double444 Win User

Can't reactivate Windows 10 after changing motherboard. Troubleshooter gives "Something...

I recently swapped to a new motherboard and cpu, however I cannot activate windows again. Running through the troubleshooter, I hit the "I recently changed hardware link" and receive a popup with a generic message "Something went wrong." Leaving the window open for a while, it will eventually close itself. I've tried again after a few hours and had no luck. Is there any way to fix this?

Can't reactivate Windows 10 after changing motherboard.  Troubleshooter gives "Something... 301401a0-f221-4d15-b68d-8b28ad251946?upload=true.png

:)

Double444, Jun 30, 2019

2. win 10 motherboard change, reactivating windows

Hi Famie,

If you are planning to change your motherboard, you will still be able to activate your Windows 10. In Windows 10 version 1607, there is a feature that you can link your Microsoft account to Windows 10 digital license on your device.
    This can help you reactivate Windows using the Activation troubleshooter if you make a significant hardware change later, such as replacing the motherboard.

That being said, we suggest that you follow the steps given on this article
    to reactivate your Windows 10 after a hardware change.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

If you think this was useful, do not hesitate to "mark it as an answer" to help those are facing the same problem.

Janeane Cru, Jun 30, 2019
  3. Reactivating Windows 10 after changing motherboard

Hi there, I just changed my motherboard and Windows is telling me that I must reactivate it. However when I try to use the troubleshoot, I go to a page where all my devices are listed.... except for the one I'm trying to activate!! Like, what the hell!
    I can totally see the device on the website on my account, it's there!!! The troubleshoot doesn't list it, how am I supposed to activate it??

Gabriel H.Fernandes, Jun 30, 2019
  4. Cyred771 Win User

Can't reactivate Windows 10 after changing motherboard. Troubleshooter gives "Something...

Unable to reactivate Windows 10 after motherboard change.

I purchased Windows 8 and upgraded for free to Windows 10 when I still had my old motherboard. Now it doesn't let me reactivate it.

I followed these steps:

• Select the Start button, select Settings > Update & security > Activation , and then select Troubleshoot. You must be signed in as an administrator.
    • The troubleshooter will show a message that Windows can’t be activated on your device. Select I changed hardware on this device recently, and then select Next.

After that I just get this message:

Unable to activate Windows

We can’t find any devices linked to your Microsoft account that can be used for reactivating the device you’re using right now. Make sure you’re signed in with the same Microsoft account you linked to the Windows 10 digital license
    on this device or try again later.

But I am signed in with my only microsoft account and when I sign in to https://www.microsoft.com and look at my account I can see my PC's name together with my old motherboard name as a device.

Do I have to buy a new Windows 10 now or what am I supposed to do?

Cyred771, Jun 30, 2019
Thema:

1. Can't reactivate Windows 10 after changing motherboard. Troubleshooter gives "Something... - Similar Threads - Can't reactivate changing

2. Can't reactivate Windows after the motherboard change

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Can't reactivate Windows after the motherboard change: So recently I upgraded my PC with a new motherboard, so Windows asked me to reactivate itself I did the troubleshooting thing, but my PC doesn't show up on the list, however it shows up in my microsoft account.Answering the questions:Yes, I tried to relog into my microsoft...
  3. Can't reactivate Windows after the motherboard change

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't reactivate Windows after the motherboard change: So recently I upgraded my PC with a new motherboard, so Windows asked me to reactivate itself I did the troubleshooting thing, but my PC doesn't show up on the list, however it shows up in my microsoft account.Answering the questions:Yes, I tried to relog into my microsoft...
  4. Can't reactivate Windows after the motherboard change

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Can't reactivate Windows 10 after motherboard and hardrive change

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't reactivate Windows 10 after motherboard and hardrive change: Please help! I have the new mother board and HDD changed to SSD recently. The new SSD drive was cloned from the old HDD. I tried all the re activation methods suggested by MS. Still not successful and the PC is still thinks it is on the old PC. I retrieve the Product key...
  6. Can't reactivate Windows 10 after motherboard and hardrive change

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't reactivate Windows 10 after motherboard and hardrive change: Please help! I have the new mother board and HDD changed to SSD recently. The new SSD drive was cloned from the old HDD. I tried all the re activation methods suggested by MS. Still not successful and the PC is still thinks it is on the old PC. I retrieve the Product key...
  7. Can't reactivate Windows 10 after Motherboard change.

Can't reactivate Windows 10 after Motherboard change.: I'm having trouble reactivating Windows 10 after recently changing my motherboard. I tried using the troubleshooter and clicking on "I changed hardware on this device recently" and the message that popped up was "We can’t find any devices linked to your Microsoft account that...
  8. Can't reactivate Windows 10 after a motherboard change

Can't reactivate Windows 10 after a motherboard change: Recently I changed motherboards in my computer that had legitimate, activated Windows 10. Now whenever I log onto my computer, the "Activate Windows" watermark shows up in the bottom right corner, and it's pretty annoying, so I tried to reactivate Windows like any sane...
  9. Can't reactivate windows after changing motherboard

Can't reactivate windows after changing motherboard: I recently swapped out the motherboard on my pc and windows became deactivated shortly afterwords. When I run the activation troubleshooter in admin mode and click the 'changed hardware recently' button, and then select my device, I am given a screen that states "We can't...
  10. Can't reactivate windows 10 after changing motherboard.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can't reactivate windows 10 after changing motherboard.: Hi, I changed from an MSI 970A-G43 motherboard (broken) to a gigabyte 970A-DS3P and now my windows 10 isn't activated. I've tried the troubleshooter. Clicked on "I changed hardware on this device recently", selected the device name linked to my windows liscence, and it...