Windows 10: cant reactivate windows after motherboard change and reinstall windows

Discus and support cant reactivate windows after motherboard change and reinstall windows in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi, I can't reactivate my windows 10 pro. I have digital linked license ( get from free upgrade to win 10 ). I have changed my motherboard then... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by NicanderHery, Aug 4, 2018.

1. cant reactivate windows after motherboard change and reinstall windows

Hi, I can't reactivate my windows 10 pro. I have digital linked license ( get from free upgrade to win 10 ).

I have changed my motherboard then reinstall windows 10. I already tried troubleshoot and choose I've changed hardware recently, but it said it failed.

:)

NicanderHery, Aug 4, 2018

2. win 10 motherboard change, reactivating windows

Hi Famie,

If you are planning to change your motherboard, you will still be able to activate your Windows 10. In Windows 10 version 1607, there is a feature that you can link your Microsoft account to Windows 10 digital license on your device.
    This can help you reactivate Windows using the Activation troubleshooter if you make a significant hardware change later, such as replacing the motherboard.

That being said, we suggest that you follow the steps given on this article
    to reactivate your Windows 10 after a hardware change.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

If you think this was useful, do not hesitate to "mark it as an answer" to help those are facing the same problem.

Janeane Cru, Aug 4, 2018
  3. Boyfriend Win User
    Does Windows 7 require reactivation if...

He is using AMD already. He wants downgrading to AM3. Don't know why??

If you change HDD + RAM simultaneously, Windows 7 needs to be reactivated. Only HDD cloning shouldn't require reactivation. As you are changing mobo + HDD (prehaps RAM upgrade too), you will surely require reactivation. If you have genuine license, you should reinstall OS (you might use Windows Easy Transfer). If you don't want to reinstall, you need to uninstall HDD, interfaces/system devices, and numerous other drivers (USB, HID, Portable devices, etc.), else your OS will be unstable.
    I will highly recommend to reinstall Windows 7 and enjoy your migration.

A simple trick might be like this to avoid reactivation:
    1. Clone your HDD first and boot into Windows
    2. Use it for at least one week
    3. Replace mobo only without any other hardware change/upgrade and boot
    4. Use it for at least one week
    5. Do any other upgrade (RAM, Graphic card etc.)

Don't do two simultaneous downgrades/upgrades to avoid reactivation.

Boyfriend, Aug 4, 2018
  4. Mussels Win User

cant reactivate windows after motherboard change and reinstall windows

Change motherboards without reinstalling Windows 7!

it is quite possible. i've done it dozens of times.

I dont really recommend it however, better to have a fresh install of windows so you dont get all sorts of leftover junk (old drivers etc)

Mussels, Aug 4, 2018
Thema:

cant reactivate windows after motherboard change and reinstall windows

1. cant reactivate windows after motherboard change and reinstall windows - Similar Threads - cant reactivate motherboard

2. Reactivating windows after motherboard change.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Reactivating windows after motherboard change.: I changed my motherboard on my prebuild computer I bought last year it was already activated with windows 10 home but now I upgraded the motherboard it says it isnt activated and I dont have the product key....
  3. Reactivating windows after motherboard change.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Reactivating windows after motherboard change.: I changed my motherboard on my prebuild computer I bought last year it was already activated with windows 10 home but now I upgraded the motherboard it says it isnt activated and I dont have the product key....
  4. Reactivating windows after motherboard change.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows Reactivation After Motherboard Change

Windows Reactivation After Motherboard Change: Hello! I recently had to change out my motherboard and now need to reactivate Windows 10 with my digital key. After going to the settings to activate it, I get the error code 0xC004C008. My old motherboard made it so my computer would not POST, and therefore I was unable to...
  6. Cant reactivate windows after motherboard change

Cant reactivate windows after motherboard change: I just got a motherboard upgrade and now I need to reactivate windows 10 Pro. I currently dont have the product key with me any more. Is there a way to reactivate my windows without my product key....
  7. Reactivating Windows after motherboard change.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Reactivating Windows after motherboard change.: Hi, I recently changed my motherboard, and the built in troubleshooter, when I press the "I recently changed hardware on this device" button it just says that it can't reach the Microsoft servers (It has been saying it for a while now". Also I don't know if this helps but...
  8. Reactivating windows after motherboard change

Reactivating windows after motherboard change: my original pc was a second hand dell OptiPlex 7010, ordered off amazon with a pre installed version of windows 10 pro. I was not given the key number from this pc. I recently changed my motherboard and now longer have windows activated. is there any way I can transfer that...
  9. Reactivating windows after change of motherboard

Reactivating windows after change of motherboard: I recently changed a new motherboard. And it seems my windows was deactivated after doing a fresh install on windows. I previously had a genuine windows 7 pro , and did an upgrade to windows 10 pro from that. Is it still possible that I can get the license back on my...
  10. windows cant reactivate after changing motherboard

in Windows 10 Support
    windows cant reactivate after changing motherboard: hi guys..can someone help me ? i recently change my motherboard and my windows cant reactivate using trouble shooter from activation tab. is there any solution for this? my windows version is 1803 build 17134.48 . thanks before 111304

Users found this page by searching for:

1. cant reactivate windows after hardware change and reisntall