Windows 10: Can't read data from "RAID" disk on after BIOS change RAID to AHCI

Discus and support Can't read data from "RAID" disk on after BIOS change RAID to AHCI in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hey, I got an old Dell Latitude laptop that I was going to update my HDD on so I removed the old drive (it was an m.2 disk in an adapter in a 2.5"... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by hfoul, Jun 23, 2019.

1. hfoul Win User

Can't read data from "RAID" disk on after BIOS change RAID to AHCI

Hey,

I got an old Dell Latitude laptop that I was going to update my HDD on so I removed the old drive (it was an m.2 disk in an adapter in a 2.5" slot). I plugged in my new Samsung 840 which the computer couldn't find so I changed the BIOS setting from RAID to AHCI (Raid is default on Dell..) but still no success.. I then put back the m.2 with adapter in the computer and swapped back from AHCI to RAID but now it wont recognize the HDD at all..

I tried plugging in the 2.5" adapter via an USB-adapter to a computer but nothing.. I tried plugging it in to my Desktop via SATA-cable and I can see that the adapter light turns green as its powered but I get no data.

Any ideas on what to do next or did the change from AHCI to RAID do something?
    It's fine if I can't boot on it but it would be good to access the data.

:)

hfoul, Jun 23, 2019

2. RAID recovery

Heya, usually you need to set your storage configuration in BIOS to AHCI or RAID first.

Switch to RAID in BIOS and than (I only know this for Intel Systems), restart your PC.

At the beginning of the bootsequence you should see an additional screen, with a detail list of RAID drives.

It should list your drive too, if not, than it is not a RAID0 any more.

If it can boot back to your system, you should immediately backup all data you need.

The problem is RAID is a one-way process (at least for Windows).

After you got your backups, reboot and set your BIOS storage settings back to AHCI or RAID1 or whatever you wanted. Than you can format your drive and reinstall the new OS.

Hope this will help you out.

Annoyed_Chris, Jun 23, 2019
  3. AlexCTZ Win User
    Converting SATA to AHCI from RAID

So I should first use Optimize Defaults, then change the registry files and then go into BIOS again and change it from RAID to AHCI?

AlexCTZ, Jun 23, 2019
  4. Funkyecat Win User

Changinr Raid to AHCI

I don't have Raid! I want to change to AHCI. When I trie normally it won't boot.

Funkyecat, Jun 23, 2019
Thema:

1. Can't read data from "RAID" disk on after BIOS change RAID to AHCI - Similar Threads - Can't read data

2. Can't restore Windows 11 after changing BIOS RAID RST to AHCI

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't restore Windows 11 after changing BIOS RAID RST to AHCI: I need to change my BIOS from RAID/RST to AHCI to support a dual-boot configuration.I took care to create a Windows 11 System Image on an external drive and a System Repair DVD before doing anything else.However, after making the change, and then using the System Repair disc...
  3. Can't restore Windows 11 after changing BIOS RAID RST to AHCI

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't restore Windows 11 after changing BIOS RAID RST to AHCI: I need to change my BIOS from RAID/RST to AHCI to support a dual-boot configuration.I took care to create a Windows 11 System Image on an external drive and a System Repair DVD before doing anything else.However, after making the change, and then using the System Repair disc...
  4. How to change from raid to ahci?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to change from raid to ahci?: Hi , I want to change my sata ssd controller form raid to ahci.. I watched many solutions , all of them told to boot to safe mode and then enter bios to change raid to achi.. But the problem is that i am having a laptop where the bios is only having simple settings , no...
  5. How to change from raid to ahci?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to change from raid to ahci?: Hi , I want to change my sata ssd controller form raid to ahci.. I watched many solutions , all of them told to boot to safe mode and then enter bios to change raid to achi.. But the problem is that i am having a laptop where the bios is only having simple settings , no...
  6. AHCI or RAID?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    AHCI or RAID?: Hi there, I am about to install Windows 10 onto a single 4.0 NVMe M.2 as a clean installation and I want to know if I should set the SATA control to AHCI or RAID? This is not a RAID set up just one single 4.0 NVMe M.2 SSD card. Thank you, Robert....
  7. Change from Raid to AHCI

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Change from Raid to AHCI: I have a Dell Inspiron 15 -7000- i5- 7573 came with SSD SanDisk X400 M.2 2280 256GB-1012 card, ok! in the Bios it is in Raid mode, and I would like to change it to AHCI, is it possible to make that change? Thanks JP...
  8. Switch from Raid to AHCI

in Windows 10 Customization
    Switch from Raid to AHCI: Is there a way to switch from Raid to AHCI without losing everything and having to reinstall Windows again? 104898
  9. AHCI or RAID

AHCI or RAID: Hi. I have just purchased a Dell XPS 15 Laptop with a single 512gb SSD. I am wanting to clean install Windows 10 but am unsure whether to place the BIOS in RAID or AHCI? I have heard the read/write SSD speeds are similar once in windows. Would one of these interfaces...
  10. Switch from AHCI to RAID

Switch from AHCI to RAID: I have Windows 10 Pro installed on an SSD in AHCI mode. I would like to add a RAID 1 array to this system for storage but I understand some registry tweaks must be made before I can change my BIOS from AHCI to RAID mode or I'll end up hosing Windows. I've read that the...