Windows 10: Can't read older *.hlp files on Windows-10

Discus and support Can't read older *.hlp files on Windows-10 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, I have installed Windows-10, and I'm encountering the problem that I can't read older Windows help files (attempt to read them will result in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by bostjanv, Aug 16, 2015.

1. bostjanv Win User

Can't read older *.hlp files on Windows-10

Hello,
    I have installed Windows-10, and I'm encountering the problem that
    I can't read older Windows help files (attempt to read them will result in
    the display of https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/917607). I had the
    same problem in Windows 7, but the problem could be solved by downloading
    the winhlp32.exe program from Microsoft, and the older help files could
    then be read. In Windows-10 I'm being offered to download WinHlp32.exe for
    Windows 7 or Windows 8.1, but neither will install. Is there any solution?
    Regards,

:)

bostjanv, Aug 16, 2015
  2. Tryx3 Win User
    Tryx3, Aug 16, 2015
  3. PWN1942 Win User
    CD Drive Not Working

My CD/DVD drive is no longer working after I upgraded from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10. When I put an older disc in, it reads the disc properly. When I put in a blank disc, it attempts to format it and then says the operation can't be completed. I have also
    not been able to put a new file on an older disc. When I select the file, it puts it in the window as waiting to be burned, but won't go any further.

My CD is a Matshita DVD-RAM 4J8C2.

Any ideas?

PWN1942, Aug 16, 2015
  4. brno Win User

I face the same problem, and would be highly interested by a solution

5. How to read an old “.hlp file (*)” on Windows 10 (x64, or, x86)
    (*): The “.hlp file” must be read, without any problem, on Windows XP, 2000, ME, or, 98/98SE.
    The following is a procedure to be able to read an old “.hlp file” on Windows 10 (x86).
    (1) First, get the winhlp32.exe existing in the Windows directory of Windows XP (x86).
    (2) Make a temporary folder (for example D:\TEMP) on the HDD of Windows 10 (x86).
    (3) Copy the winhlp32.exe (obtained by the #(1) step) into the temporary folder D:\TEMP.
    (4) Make a file, named Win10-Hlp32-Fix.cmd, by using the text editor.
    All of the contents of the file (Win10-Hlp32-Fix.cmd) are as follows;
    @echo off
    set crtpth=%CD%
    takeown /f "%windir%\winhlp32.exe" >nul
    icacls "%windir%\winhlp32.exe" /grant *S-1-5-32-544:F >nul
    copy /y "%crtpth%\winhlp32.exe" %windir%
    icacls "%windir%\winhlp32.exe" /setowner "NT Service\TrustedInstaller" >nul
    echo.
    echo Done.
    echo.
    echo Press any key to Exit
    pause >nul
    exit
    (5) Therefore, you can find two files (winhlp32.exe and Win10-Hlp32-Fix.cmd) in the D:\TEMP.
    (6) Open the Command Prompt window, by selecting "Run as administrator.”
    (7) Then, move the prompt to the D:\TEMP directory, by using Change Directory (CD)command.
    (8) Under this condition, execute the Win10-Hlp32-Fix.cmd command in the D:\TEMP directory.
    (9) After the completion of this execution, you can read an old “.hlp file” on Windows 10 (x86).

Remarks:
    In the case of Windows 10 (x64), please use the winhlp32.exe existing in the Windows directory of Windows XP (x64).

kimio kanda, Aug 29, 2015
  6. brno Win User
  7. [My comments]
    (1) Even replacing the original "winhlp32.exe" (contained in Windows 10) with the "winhlp32.exe" (existing in the Windows directory of Windows 7, 8, or 8.1), you cannot read an old help file (*.hlp) on Windows 10.
    Note: When trying to read an old help file (*.hlp) on Windows 10, an error dialog message appears.
    (2) Furthermore, even replacing the original "winhlp32.exe" (contained in Windows 10) with the "winhlp32.exe" (existing in the downloaded *KB917607*.msu --- for Windows 7, 8, or 8.1), you cannot read an old help file (*.hlp) on Windows 10.
    Note: When trying to read an old help file (*.hlp) on Windows 10, an error "9009" appears.
    (3) Only the way to properly read an old help file (*.hlp) on Windows 10 is as follows;
    (a) Replace the original "winhlp32.exe" (contained in Windows 10) with the "winhlp32.exe" (contained in Windows XP).
    (b) If you use Windows 10 (x64), replace your "winhlp32.exe" (contained in Windows 10) with the "winhlp32.exe" contained in Windows XP [latest SP=SP2] (x64).
    (c) If you use Windows 10 (x86), replace your "winhlp32.exe" (contained in Windows 10) with the "winhlp32.exe" contained in Windows XP [latest SP=SP3] (x86).
    (d) The replacement can be done by the procedure mensioned by me yesterday.
    (e) Please try the replacement of "winhlp32.exe" by following my description.
    Note: If an old help file (*.hlp) cannot be read on Windows XP, 2000, ME, or, 98/98SE, this kind of old help file (*.hlp) cannot be read on Windows 10, even if applying the replacement of "winhlp32.exe" to Windows 10.

kimio kanda, Aug 30, 2015
  8. brno Win User

Thanks Kimio for all this information.
    I understand clearly: I need to find the "winhlp32.exe" contained in Windows XP [latest SP=SP2] (x64). But I can't figure where, as I don't have a windows XP computer anymore... If you have any idea, or if you can send it to me, I would be grateful!
    Bruno

9. [My comments]
    (1) Regarding the "winhlp32.exe" contained in Windows XP [SP2] (x64), I think you cannot easily find the "Windows XP (x64) PC."
    (2) However, I think you can still easily find the "Windows XP [SP3] (x86) PC."
    (3) Therefore, even if you use Windows 10 (x64), please replace your "winhlp32.exe" (contained in Windows 10) with the "winhlp32.exe" contained in Windows XP [SP3] (x86), even not strongly recommending this replacement to you.
    (4) According to my simple test, you can read an old help file (*.hlp) even on Windows 10 (x64), by this replacement.
    Note: If an old help file (*.hlp) cannot be read on Windows XP, 2000, ME, or, 98/98SE, this kind of old help file (*.hlp) cannot be read on Windows 10, even if applying the replacement of "winhlp32.exe" to Windows 10.
    SUPPLEMENT:
    I think there might be several stores, which still sell the used PCs having Windows XP (x86), in your town. If you can find a such PC store, it might be better to ask "Can I freely get only a copy of the winhlp32.exe contained in your selling PC?."

kimio kanda, Aug 31, 2015
  10. I check http://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/917607 often, however M$ still hasn't provided a fix for winhlp32, until they do, it would be nice for someone here to provide better instructions using the latest winhlp32 EXEs.

M$ should have went with native 32-bit backwards compatibility or virtualized 32-bit backwards compatibility. However, M$ dropped virtualized XP Mode backwards compatibility in Windows 8, and dropped native winhlp32 backwards compatibility in Windows 10.

nosecureboot, Aug 31, 2015
  11. In the case of “Windows 8.1,” an old help file (*.hlp) can be read by applying the "Windows8.1-KB917607-x64.msu [for Windows 8.1 (x64)],” or, "Windows8.1-KB917607-x86.msu [for Windows 8.1 (x86)],” to the installed Windows 8.1 (x64), or, to the installed Windows 8.1 (x86), respectively.
    However, when applying the “KB3000850,” sometimes an old help file (*.hlp) changes to be unable to open.
    -------------------
    Note:
    The KB3000850 was released around the middle of November (2014).
    It might be true that M$ had known the several problems caused by the KB3000850 applied, just after the release of the KB3000850. However, regarding the opening problem for an old help file (*.hlp), caused by the KB3000850 applied, it seems to be difficult to get appropriate information on the official M$ site.
    -------------------
    A certain intelligent person made a nice bat file, named “KB917607-Fix.cmd,” to fix this problem.
    In other words, if applying the “KB917607-Fix.cmd” to Windows 8.1, an old help file (*.hlp) can be still read on Windows 8.1 (x64, or x86).
    I think that M$ might not release the "winhlp32.exe" dedicated for Windows 10 (x64, or x86), even in the future.

12. SUPPLEMENT-2:
    (1) First, get the service pack SP3 for Windows XP (x86) by,
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-US/down....aspx?id=25129
    Note:
    You can get two downloaded files (by waiting roughly 4 minutes),
    (A) WindowsXP-KB932823-v3-x86-ENU.exe, and
    (B) xpsp3_5512.080413-2113_usa_x86fre_spcd.iso.
    But, you can use ONLY "xpsp3_5512.080413-2113_usa_x86fre_spcd.iso."
    (2) Then, check the contents of the downloaded "iso" file, by using some tool (for looking the contents of an “iso” file).
    (3) You can find a “big file”(in the "iso" file),
    WINDOWSXP-KB936929-SP3-X86-ENU.EXE
    (4) Copy this “big file” (i,e, WINDOWSXP-KB936929-SP3-X86-ENU.EXE) into a temporary folder on your HDD.
    (5) Then, check the contents of this “big file” (at the temporary folder of your HDD) by using some tool (for looking the contents of an archived file).
    (6) By this checking, you can find the “winhlp32.ex_” in the “i386” folder (of this “big file”).
    (7) Copy the “winhlp32.ex_” into a temporary folder on your HDD.
    (8) Open the “Command Prompt” window, and then move the prompt to the temporary folder (in which the “winhlp32.ex_” exists).
    (9) Execute following command in the temporary folder (in which the “winhlp32.ex_” exists);
    expand winhlp32.ex_ winhlp32.exe
    By this execution, you can get “winhlp32.exe” (which has been de-compressed from “winhlp32.ex_”).
    As a result, you can use this “winhlp32.exe.”

13. brno Win User

Thanks a lot Kimio!
    I'll do it asap, and I'll tell you the result.
    Best regards,
    Bruno

14. YOU
    You Win User
    If don't want to do all of that work, here is a copy of the Windows XP 32-bit winhlp32.exe file:

And the Virustotal report to prove that this is not a virus or fake copy: https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/f...is/1441147593/

A 64-bit Winhlp32.exe file will be posted soon!
    ('d better be grateful because I am installing XP x64 in a VM just for this! Can't read older *.hlp files on Windows-10 :p)

15. YOU
    You Win User
    I'm not sure if this will work for all hlp files and if it does, will have to manually find the hlp file, but I was able to open a hlp file by dragging and dropping it over winhlp32.exe. Or could do what the other guy said to do, which is essentially taking ownership of the fake winhlp32.exe in the Windows folder and replacing it with the one from Windows XP.

Thema:

1. Can't read older *.hlp files on Windows-10 - Similar Threads - Can't read older

2. How to install WinhlpXX to read hlp legacy files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to install WinhlpXX to read hlp legacy files: Hello,I work a lot with Borland C++ that has a context F1 help system.I know this has been discontinued for security reasons.There are tons of "recipes" to install an XP file on Win 10, but I tried many without any chance.Is there a MS procedure for this ?This is my...
  3. How to install WinhlpXX to read hlp legacy files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to install WinhlpXX to read hlp legacy files: Hello,I work a lot with Borland C++ that has a context F1 help system.I know this has been discontinued for security reasons.There are tons of "recipes" to install an XP file on Win 10, but I tried many without any chance.Is there a MS procedure for this ?This is my...
  4. HLP file Workaround for WIndows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    HLP file Workaround for WIndows 10: I had a workaround to use the old HLP files but M$ appears to have broken the ability to use a HLP again. Sadly, the workaround (using XP HLP files) no longer appears to work. ---------------- Questions ------------------ 1) Anyone have a workaround that works (recently...
  5. Converting HLP files in Windows 10 to PDF or a usable format

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Converting HLP files in Windows 10 to PDF or a usable format: I have an older program that has the .hlp file format. I'm stuck and can't use it as I use Windows 10. Alot of the 'free' converters do nothing. Any help in the forum?...
  6. Reading old hlp files in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Reading old hlp files in Windows 10: How to read old hlp files in Windows 10. Any support seems to stop at Windows 8.1 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/reading-old-hlp-files-in-windows-10/cf91f8ee-e457-44c8-adfc-a840fe7257d8"
  7. hlp extension

in Windows 10 Support
    hlp extension: I have program that works with the .hlp extenion (Windows 7 version). It won't work on Windows 10 .hlp extention. Is there a way I can add a new extention that will run the Windows 7 version? I could upload the file if I knew how. Don Cole 127937
  8. Access .HLP files on legacy programs

in Windows 10 Customization
    Access .HLP files on legacy programs: How can I access help files (*.hlp) for old programs - pre Windows 10? I think a method was published earlier but I cannot locate it now. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/access-hlp-files-on-legacy-programs/28b3b9f8-f734-4afd-bc5d-3b0a008e20c2
  9. How to open older *.hlp files in Win 10 (x64)

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    How to open older *.hlp files in Win 10 (x64): Hi, While being aware this problem has been discussed before, none of the proposed solutions seem to work - at least not since the very latest major Win 10 update: before that the proposed tweaks, either here or on the Net, presented no problems. The phenomenon is known:...
  10. How to Open old HLP files from Windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    How to Open old HLP files from Windows 10: @andylaode The easiest way to solve this problem is to use the XP version of winhlp32.exe. If you have the Windows XP installtion disk, you can extract from it or download the attachment below which contains both X86 and X64 version of winhlp32.exe (XP64winhlp32.exe &...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. winhlp32.exe 0x80096002