Windows 10: Can't record Stereo mix (Desktop Audio)

Discus and support Can't record Stereo mix (Desktop Audio) in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; submitted by /u/NotMyBestComment [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/m9ajq4/cant_record_stereo_mix_desktop_audio/ Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/NotMyBestComment, Mar 20, 2021.

1. Can't record Stereo mix (Desktop Audio)

/u/NotMyBestComment, Mar 20, 2021

2. Stereo mix showing but not showing audio

A potential solution for those who use digital outputs to a separate sound system for your sounds (rather than speakers or headphones), and have tried all the normal suggestions when Stereo Mix shows up on the recording tab, but shows no audio, and programs
    such as Audacity won't record a signal.

I use digital optical out from my sound card (Realtek High Definition Audio) to my sound system. There are therefore no speakers connected, and no speakers show in the sound settings. And no audio showing in Stereo Mix.

However, connecting headphones instantly solves the problem - stereo mix shows audio, programs like Audacity can record again (plugging headphones in the headphones jack makes no difference to the digital optical output signal = does not mute it).

I would be really interested to know why Stereo Mix will not show audio if there are no speakers or headphones connected.

kafkaschimp, Mar 20, 2021
  3. fish_24 Win User
    Stereo Mix

Hi. I have a dell computer. When I try to record audio output using, say, audacity, using stereo mix, it records an overly loud background noise, which isn't present (or at least must be greatly exaggerated) in the original. I have the same issue if I instead
    use Microsoft powerpoint's screen recorder to record audio from a browser.

However, if I do the same with windows game screen recorder, there is no issue - the recorded audio sounds just like what I hear.

What's going on with the stereo mix?? How can I configure it to not have this background noise (which must be possible because it is not present on the windows game recorder)?

Both windows game recorder and audacity are using stereo mix, and I can see no discernible difference in the way they are capturing the audio - but there must be one since I can hear it.

Interestingly, if I turn the stereo mix level down to zero and now record (using stereo mix) on audacity, it still records the audio at nonzero volume (albeit faint),
    together with the background noise. Is this supposed to happen?

Thanks for your replies.

fish_24, Mar 20, 2021
  4. dalchina Win User

Can't record Stereo mix (Desktop Audio)

Stereo mix for mic audio or something else - help please

Hi, you can't simply download it. It's a question of whether your hardware and audio driver now support it or not.

One thought was:
    - back in 2007
    Stereo Re-mix thread (was T61/p Sound Recording?) - Thinkpads Forum

There are articles with a range of supposed 'fixes' but if your PC simply does not suport it, well, that's tough.
    E.g.
    How to Restore Missing Stereo Mix on Windows 10 - Appuals.com

Note how this refers to using a much older audio driver:
    How to Enable “Stereo Mix” in Windows and Record Audio from Your PC

Then there's this program (not free) that claims to make it available (which you can download!):
    Stereo Mix Plus - Fix no Stereo Mix on Windows 7/8/10/Vista | Stereo Mix recorder/enhance tool

I seem to recall some have said this free program can help (Virtual Cable):
    How to Record Your PC’s Audio With Virtual Audio Cable

And if you find no other way, then see:
    How To Fix Missing Stereo Mix Or Wave Out Option On Windows

dalchina, Mar 20, 2021
Thema:

Can't record Stereo mix (Desktop Audio)

1. Can't record Stereo mix (Desktop Audio) - Similar Threads - Can't record Stereo

2. Stereo Mix not recording anything

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Stereo Mix not recording anything: I have no idea why this isn't working. I have disabled all outputs and inputs except for Realtek Digital Output as output and Stereo Mix as input. Both at 100% volume. Checking/unchecking "Listen to this device" doesn't do anything nor does connecting a headset through a...
  3. Stereo mix not recording, no sound pickup?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Stereo mix not recording, no sound pickup?: Hello. I got new laptop HP pavilion 15. and Stereo mix not picking up any audio, but microphone array picking up. is there any solution? is there any adventage using stereo mix than micrphone array? (but i still want to working stereo mix :P ) https://imgur.com/a/KWGBzBh...
  4. need stereo mix or other means of laptop audio recording

need stereo mix or other means of laptop audio recording: need stereo mix or other means of laptop audio recording https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/need-stereo-mix-or-other-means-of-laptop-audio/27a0b3a1-ad2e-4fad-b5a3-09322e53a8d7
  5. Stereo mix not picking up audio

in Windows 10 Customization
    Stereo mix not picking up audio: When I try using stereo mix for recording or for anything it doesn't seem to pick any audio up. I have stereo mix enabled and set as default device and is still not working, are their any ways to resolve this problem I looked it up but cant find any solutions....
  6. Stereo Mix

Stereo Mix: Why has Stereo Mix been removed as a recording option from Windows 10? This was a very useful feature in previous Windows versions and one that I very much depended upon for the successful completion of my collegiate studies. What do you suggest as a way to enable it again?...
  7. Stereo Mix

in Windows 10 Customization
    Stereo Mix: Hi. I have a dell computer. When I try to record audio output using, say, audacity, using stereo mix, it records an overly loud background noise, which isn't present or at least must be greatly exaggerated in the original. I have the same issue if I instead use Microsoft...
  8. Stereo mix showing but not showing audio

Stereo mix showing but not showing audio: A potential solution for those who use digital outputs to a separate sound system for your sounds rather than speakers or headphones, and have tried all the normal suggestions when Stereo Mix shows up on the recording tab, but shows no audio, and programs such as Audacity...
  9. screen recording using stereo mix in powerpoint

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    screen recording using stereo mix in powerpoint: I am trying to make screen recordings in Powerpoint using Stereomix to record the sound. However when I play the recording back there is no sound. I have enabled stereomix. I managed to get this working a year ago when I last used screen recordings although I cannot...
  10. Stereo Mix not picking up audio

Stereo Mix not picking up audio: Recently, my Stereo Mix has not been working and I would like to be able to set it up to be my input device for things like Mumble or Teamspeak. It has worked for these things before, however now it does not pick up any audio in my Recording Devices tab. I have tried updating...